Pro Truck tires

Travisfab

Reaction
While watching the Terrible Town 250 last night, I kept hearing Ivan and the other announcer say how careful the drivers needed to be to avoid getting flats. Then Ivan interviewed a Goodyear rep (they run the MTR's) and he said that the tire the drivers are using is the same tire that you or I could buy from a local tire shop. Now I understand these are all spec trucks and are built equally, but wouldnt it make more sense to run a kevlar heavy duty race tire? that way the drivers could worry about driving and not holding back to preserve their tires, I saw one guy get nerferd 3 times and as the truck passed him he said, "he's gonna get a flat pushin that hard" I say push hard, and start using better tires.

ONE_RJ

Reaction
TRAVIS, FLAT TIRES ARE ALWAYS A ISSUE WITH ANY CLASS, OUR CLASS BEING A "SPEC" CLASS, SOMETIMES THE DIFFERANCE BEING WINNING AND 3RD OR 4TH PLACE IS JUST ONE FLAT TIRE. WE ALL RACE THESE TRUCKS VERY HARD AND GOODYEAR HAS PROVED TO BE A GOOD PERFORMING TIRE.

JeffS

Reaction
But are they better than BFG Projects ... aka.. Baja KR's ??
Opinions from those who have run both would be interesting to hear...

desertracer

Reaction
We have been running the mtr's (street version) on the front of our 1 car for over a year now. We run a 315/75/16 and have yet to recieve a flat.(knock on wood) The tire is pretty heavy duty in itself being a D range tire. On the rear we are running the goodyear project kevlar tires and have not gotten a flat with these. Our only flats have been as a result of bent/broken rims. We are actually considering running the mtr's all the way around because they seem to be strong tire. Goodyear eithers makes or is coming out with a race version of the mtr that will be comperable to the BFG Baja KR. I think the protrucks run the race version of the mtr, not totally sure though. Another aspect that I have noticed in the protruck t.v. shows is that they are trying to sell off-road racing to an audience that might not know a whole lot about the particulars of the sport. This being said, a flat tire is pretty easy to understand for the average viewer so it could be something they say to increse the suspense or play up the race. Hopefully this second idea makes sense to somebody. Goodyear makes a great tire and we have not had a reason to doubt their performance.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
the PT tires are the street version but have an added logo and no DOT approval.

slimjim

Reaction
i think your 2nd idea makes perfect sense, and is right on the money.

Travisfab

Reaction
That was my thinking too, a good marketing plan to sell their tires

mattrick8888

Reaction
last pro truck driver i talked to told me they were not the same tires as the street ones and were being made differently. i also noticed they were not DOT approved. i know the ones he had he was made to give back to goodyear because of something to do with goodyear not wanting bfg to get ahold of them.....if they were the same tire i dont think they would care what happened to them.

Travisfab

Reaction
that makes more sense, I think if the guy on tv was being 100% accurate he would have said that they are the same tread pattern as you could buy at a tire shop, I just couldnt see how a DOT tire was being used on $100,000 dollar race trucks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
they arent DOT because they will not see the road so there is no reason to add more cost to the tire.