Problem w/ Tundra Valved SAWs

Dillon

Reaction
Okay, I put on some Tundra valved SAWs on my 4WD V6 Tacoma last night. I cranked em up to 2.5" of thread on passenger side, and 2.75" on the drivers side because I only wanted 2" of lift for now till shackles are on. Well, lo and behold, I got 5 inches of lift!! The instructions say 1 inch is level, now I know this is relative......it's usually between .75 and 1 inch, but this still doesn't explain why I got so much lift, I should only have 2" right? I don't get it.

Now my coils on my stock coilover sagged a crapload so I'm guessing I only got like 4" of true lift, but still, its too much (my CVs look really bad). I'm just pissed because it took me seriously 2 hours to crank em up that high and the thought of having to crank em back down just peeves me lol plus my hands hurt, so I feel like bitching some more :)

Dylan

Reaction
If you just got them recently you probably got the new tundra spring which was just recently changed to a higher rate than the Tacoma. If the shock only has threads part way up the body of the shock then you probably have the new ones. Those shocks are very difficult to adjust on the vehicle. What I usually do is get them close to the adjustment that I want in a bench vise off the vehicle then you only need to do a couple of turns to fine tune it on the truck.

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

hbprnstr

Reaction
Just wondering Y you would put a tundra shock on a tacoma. The valving is different yes but the spring is alot stiffer to which i would think would make your truck ride like a DONKEY. I'm sure thats one of the reaons that it sits so high is that you have no down travle and the truck doesnt wiegh enough to compress the springs. Just a thought though.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
A lot of people use the Tundra valved SAWs on a Tacoma so that they can beat on it a little more offroad, or a lot of 4WD guys put the Tundra valved if they have a winch, big bumper, etc.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

evan_clanin

Reaction
my guess on the lift thing is that, 1 tundras have a longer arm?, and 2 the mounting position on the tundra, and a tacoma are different, the tacoma will lift more because the shock is closer to the frame,one the a arm, thats my logical guess

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

Dillon

Reaction
They may very well be them, I just got them through Camburg. But the spring says 650lb on it which is what I thought the old spring was, maybe I got older ones? As for the bench vise, did that but I scratched the snot out them, my wife wasn't happy I paid $600 for scratched shocks, lol

Dillon

Reaction
They both (Tacoma and Tundra SAWs) have the same spring rates (650), Dylan though says they recently changed it, but I got a 650 coil on mine.

Dillon

Reaction
Nope, Tacoma & Tundra both have the same exact front end setup. I've got it cranked back down to 1.5" of thread(3" of lift) so its okay, its just really bizarre because I've helped install a few of these and never seen anything like it. Usually 3.75" of thread is 3" of lift, so I'm just baffled. I don't mind though, cuz cranking them real high would suck.

Dylan

Reaction
The original spring for both the tundra and Tacoma was a 650 lb 14” spring. They recently started only machining partial threads on the cylinder to save machining costs. A problem arose where there weren’t enough threads to get ride height on the tundra so they were going to change to a longer and/or stiffer spring. Maybe what you have is a 650lb 15” coil.
In spring design there comes a point of diminishing returns where making a spring longer actually nets you less travel. the Toyota applications are near this limiting point.

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

Dillon

Reaction
Okay then, I must have the old ones then, my coil says 650/14 on it. Oh well.

YZFster

Reaction
I got the Tundra SAW on my chicks 4-runner and it handles insane..about a 4in lift...with the 650lb spring...maybe a little stiffer than the tacoma one but no complaints

Go Big or stay there.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I may be wrong but wouldn't it be easier to adjust your springs if you take the weight off the truck by jacking it up? Or maybe you allready did that and its still hard to adjust?

I know on my Toyota race truck it's way easier to adjust them with the front jacked up and the wheels at full drop. But that should be obvious.

Dillon

Reaction
I had them off the truck in a table clamp and soaked in silicone grease for 10 minutes and it would barely budge. Oh well, think I got it set right (or until the first big pounding).

mxjeremy

Reaction
When I put the SAWs on my tundra, I originally cranked the spring up about 2". Not much lift, but way better than stock. I played around with the height for about 3 months and I thought it was all good, and the springs were as broken in as they were going to get. At that point I was running 3.25" of lift. But now almost a year later, the springs have sagged back down to about 2.5". Maybe the tundra's do need a bit stiffer of a spring. Check out my pictures to see how high I have the spring cranked
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/mxjeremy/tundra/>http://www.geocities.com/mxjeremy/tundra/</A>
the driver's side is about 1/4" higher than the passenger side in the pic.
-late.