Problems with my Savage 21

McNeil Race

I have a Savage 21 and im having problems with the motor. When i first start it up it will run good but than after maybe 5 minutes if that the motor will start to steam and than the motor will begin to lose power. If you give it full throttle the motor wants to die out but it wont and than sometimes it will take off or it will just sit there and try to move until i let go of the gas. but it will eventually die out after about a minute of this happening. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be. Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Brandon121

Josh's Dream
I have a Savage 21 and im having problems with the motor. When i first start it up it will run good but than after maybe 5 minutes if that the motor will start to steam and than the motor will begin to lose power. If you give it full throttle the motor wants to die out but it wont and than sometimes it will take off or it will just sit there and try to move until i let go of the gas. but it will eventually die out after about a minute of this happening. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be. Please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Couple things:

How much fuel has been run though the engine?
Do you have a way of measuring temp? If so, what's the running temp?

If it's "steaming" then it's more then likely burning fuel/oil that is leaking somewhere. This would explain how is running, there is bound to be a air leak somewhere on thee engine.

Cadwell

The savage 21s have a carb problem. Thats why they made the savage 25 to correct it. I had a 21 and it did the same thing and I always kept playing around with the carb settings till I got tired of doing it and just got rid of it! I have talked to people at the hobby stores and they say you need to buy a new carb for it if you want it to run right all the time!