• Forum membership has its advantages....

BradM

It seems to me that a nice added feature to the profile would be to know the age of the person asking or answering questions. To me it make a difference if it is a 15 year old kid or a middle aged adult. I think it would add some authenticity to certain posts. I know this might seem sensitive to some but I think most people would agree. Maybe you could call it "experience level" or something. Maybe it could just have age groups to choose from. What do you guys think?

I'll answer a legitimate question no matter who asks it as long is it comes across as sincere. All I want to know is who's asking. I guess I started thinking about this ever since John enlisted me in the <font color=yellow>Profile Police</font color=yellow>.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

FABRICATOR

An age or age group would be helpful. It may help protect the innocent and it is one thing we are ALL curious about. It would be an aid to understanding where someone is comming from. It would be voluntary (or a lie) and would naturally have sort of a patience level connected to it. Seems like it would make people feel more welcome, not less and would be quite natural.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

JCA

I cocur with the above.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing

Wayne_Nosala

My Profile is updated, MR officer!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Wayne_Nosala on 10/11/01 01:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

BradM

Wayne,

Since you set the example, I will follow. I still think a separate category may be appropriate to those who may not otherwise know of such a practice.

On a separate note, I saw a card in the latest CORVA newsletter with the name Nosala. I am not sure but I think it was for real estate? Is that your brother or otherwise related. It's nice to see support for the organizations that support our rights. Thanks to all the sposers and advertisers of CORVA, CLORV, ASA, AMA, NRA (just thought I would throw that one in there) and all the others.

Jimmy8

I think age doesnt mean anything, but experience does. I am only 20 now, 21 in december, but I have been involved in off road for all 21 years. I know as much about off road polotics, fabrication, ect as anyone, and I can tig weld pretty damn good, so it should be something like age and experience, so you know where someone is coming from, because age doesnt really say a lot for someone who has been raised in a race shop since they could crawl like me, and had my first seat time in a class 8 truck at 13, not to mention my first ride when I was like 6, although the driving in a race didnt come till later. But I agree, I would like to know where most people come from, although I already have a pretty good idea on most.

Wayne_Nosala

Tom Nosala, My father, he sells Real estate in the California City area
I am also a feild rep for CORVA, my dad & I keep tabs on whats going on
in the Cal City area OHV issues
Wayne

BradM

Jimmy8, You have a good point but like you said, you have an idea of most people. That idea or instinct probably comes as a result of reading their previous posts. Are they all questions. Are they well thought out answers to questions. Are they just bs posts that don't amount to much.

I think where you are coming from is that you want people to respect your experience regardless of your age. I think that respect is earned from your track record. Your track record here, as far as I am concerned, speaks for itself. I am only 27, but I think most people would agree my answers are accurate or at least well thought out opinions. I don't care if anyone discounts my ability because of my age. They aren't worth my time.

Thanks Wayne. Just curious.

sirhk100

Hear's another view point to consider. I'm 24 y/o and have been riding dirt bikes in the desert for 16 years now so I would consider myself an offroader but not the same as most of you. I've always admired race trucks and always dreamed of owning one. Well now I've graduated college, have a head on my shoulders and am making some cash. Now I want to build (or have built) a capable prerunner to use out at the desert at night when I can't ride my dirt bike. I've only been researching my options for about 4 months now and still have not completely decided on what I'm going to do. I would love to do the fab work myself but don't have the skills but would love to learn just for my own personal gratification and knowledge. Basically what I'm saying is I'm 24 y/o and don't really have any experience but I want to learn. Because of this I may ask dumb questions not knowingly but I am intelligent. Does this mean that I'll be looked down upon because I'm coming to you all for help. I'm sure there are other that are 24 y/o with major experience like that 20y/o above and I'm not in the same group at all but I do want to be respected and to have my opinion or thoughts counted. I've got lot's of ideas some maybe good others maybe lame. Does that mean you should judge me?

This is probably just babble but I'm not sure how to clearly make my point, maybe this was good enough?

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

BradM

What I said earlier is if the request comes across as sincere and is legitimate, I will answer it. I believe many others will do the same. I don't think respect is tied to age but rather experience, knowledge, etc. Respect is earned, not given. Besides, I don't think education produces knowledge. Knowledge is the result of a desire to learn whether it be hands on or just in theory.

Jimmy8

I think its great you want to learn, and I dont think down on you at all, or anyone else on this board for that matter. new people like you are what keeps this sport alive and growing, and without new people, this sport would die. Ask your questions away, and dumb or not, they will get answered. I think its great you ride dirt bikes as well. I have been riding dirtbikes and quads since I was 4, and they are a blast, and I am sure almost 100% of the people on this board do as well, or at least have in the past. I mean, motorcycle riders make some of the best drivers, look at Rosselor, Ashley, and Smith, just to name a few, and I know for a fact they still have bikes in their garage. Ask away, thats what this board is for, I mean just the other day I asked what the heck a gps was good for in a race car, and I thought it was a dumb question, but no one thought I was dumb, or at least I couldnt tell, and I got a lot of good straight answers. With over 600 members this board will have at least one person that can answer any question. guarenteed.

ntsqd

Jimmy8, I think you might agree that your level of skills and involvement for your age is unusual, most people at your age haven't had that depth of exposure to both the desert and fabrication. It's interesting this should come up. One of the things I kept looking for in looking @ profiles was age. While it isn't a specific indictor of anything, it does give a general feel for where the poster is coming from. I've updated mine.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Jimmy8

Mine is now updated as well.

FABRICATOR

You can guess a lot of peoples ages just by their level of cockiness! Jim is an exception to the norm, but some think they have the biggest heims going. Just remember that no matter how hot you think you are, there is always someone out there with bigger and badder heims! Us older folks don't loose it from weakness. It's lost because we figure out it does more harm than good. The smart young ones loose it too.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

JCA

Age will not tell anyone about experience, content of the post will. I like the age being on there to know outlook. Example might be the post on going to Mexico. Are the guys saying go go go of the younger crowd? I would also like to see if people are married and have kids, so that when I am looking for advice I would know when someone is walking in similar shoes. The Mexico statement was just an example and not meant to make anyone feel they have to defend the trips. I have been going to races down there for about 10 years and have had good times and bad. Right now I will probably forgo going to Mexico or any other country for that matter due to the war but that is another thread all together.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.andrewsracing.com>www.andrewsracing.com</A>