Project : Baja Bug

BeevDawg

Reaction
Hey guys, I'm putting together this 1969 Baja bug with a 1776 motor, and this is the list of things i need so far, I've put attachments into this post so u can confirm or if u see anything else i need. So far, i have it down to a fuel pump, rotor, generator, oil filter, oil cooler, and belts. See anything else? I will be posting y progress in this thread every couple of days with pics.So just post your opinions, advice, etc... We should have the engine turned over by the end of this week. I'll keep yah posted, later.
-Daniel

i got a bug, its tight

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
I would have to say more bracing on that rear bumper to protect all that purdy chrome!

Jason

BeevDawg

Reaction
Yah, im getting that done also, the guy at weldtec said only $100. I cant wait to get this thing running.

i got a bug, its tight

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
THat chrome is going to be ruined after one good rompin in the dez. I would sell that off to somebody who has a street bug and buy something other then chrome.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

ntsqd

Reaction
I know they're not nearly as nice looking, but the late model stock fan shrouds have far better ducting in them than any of the aftermarket shrouds I've seen. If you're really going to hammer on it in the dez you might want to change it. Failing that, I would see if you can trade that shroud for one w/o the heater ducts. You can plug those holes for use w/o heater boxes, but I wouldn't risk it. Black cooling tin also radiates heat better, chrome tends to keep it locked in.

Where you coil is mounted is directly in the air flow out of the oil cooler. This will make the coil run really hot when you're working the engine hard. Wouldn't surprise me if you have coil failures from this. Mount the coil somewhere in cool air. Cruise this page's various articles and the mags' articles on off road buggies & Baja's for ideas on a location. Also, Bosch Blue coils really prefer to be pointed down. There is a resistor in them right under the terminals. If the terminals aren't at least a little downhill from the can, the resistor can overheat & fail from not being immersed in the oil inside the coil.

Those aluminum ignition wire seperators can cause crossfire. Plastic is better. I use the stock VW parts on the shroud, but good ole zip-ties ala NASCAR also works.

The small diameter crank pulley will be fine if you're going to keep the motor rev'd up. If you're going to be going slow much you'll wnat the stock size pulley so that the fan turns faster at slow engine speeds.

Put a hose clamp around the muffler brace on #1's exhaust tube.

VW's use their engine oil for cooling far more than h2O pumpers. I would go full flow on the oil filtration and put a decent sized, stacked plate cooler in the system. The tube & fin types don't reject as much heat and appear to be a little more fragile. Try afcoracing.com for the cooler.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing out the potential problems I see. I think that's what you were asking for. Some pics of my 'glass buggy are here: http://photos.yahoo.com/ntsqd

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

BeevDawg

Reaction
Update!!!

Well, we got the oil cooling kit from Johnson's Bug Machine, and an electric fuel pump(tho manual is better), and a belt for the pulley. I still need little bits and pieces here and there. The headers are too close for me to get to one of the allen bolts and i dont have an offset allen, so we have to take the header off on one side to take off the shrowd so we can tighten the hose adapters on. Not really any work done today, but we should have it running soon.later.
-Daniel

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction
Re: Update!!!

Well, i put the throttle linkage in today, and we are gonna pull the engine soon to mount the oil cooler.

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction

Ok, here are the mods it has on it just so u guys get an idea.

tri-mil exhaust system, weber carb, k&n filter, irs transmission, hurst shifter, fiberglass, full cage, everything basically chrome or aftermarket one way or another, new starter, new door handles, new e-brake, new 4 wheel disc brakes, centerline rims, and a bunch of other crap i cant remember.

Stuff that needs to be installed or put in as of today.

Oil Cooler, seats with seat mounts, upper rear cage, floorboard crossbar supports so i can mount my seats, need to install some distributor parts, need alternator parts, need to mount fuel cell and hook up fuel lines, need possible new steering column and steering wheel, all of my lights, battery, gauges, pulley shims, front and rear bumper, all window glass, and electric fuel pump. Im on my way though.later.
-Daniel

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction

Ok, here are pics of what we got done today. We stripped down the engine and put a new fan shrowd in to cover up the hole where the stock offset oil cooler went. We had some trobles to get it to fit, but now its very snug. We mounted the electric fuel pump and painted the dash. We had to install a different filter that came with the linkage kit, so now im selling a brand new k&n filter and a chrome fan shrowd. We also hooked up a fuel sending unit to hook up a gas gauge. Check out the pics, were getting there.
-Daniel

i got a bug, its tight

Attachments

BeevDawg

Reaction

the dash after it was painted. I still gotta swap out that steering wheel and get a grant one, i gotta get a new blinker assembly, put in gauges, and install my ignition. This is the part where it gets real tricky, i know nothing about electrical, but its cool cuz my friend's uncle used to have a bug and he is gonna do all the wiring for me. I still need to buy lights also, what company makes offroad/onroad lights that work fairly good. I think PIAA makes some, but i dont know for sure.later.
-Daniel

i got a bug, its tight

Attachments

BeevDawg

Reaction
Suspension troubles

Ok, i have a problem with the suspension.I can already see the problem in the suspension with my bug. When it is going to bottom out, it will end up ripping off my fenders in the front and the rear. Ive been thinking about which is most logical to fix the problem. I was thinking shave the fenders cuz they need to be shaved a bit anyways. Getting shock hoops with some bilstein 7100's(friend said it would lift it a bit), extending the front end and rear end which i would like to do anyways, or a body lift. I am really unknown to bug suspension with the CV setup and pins and all that crap, so a diagram and some much needed info would be greatly appreciated guys.

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction
Almost there

Well, here is the engine in its near final state. We got that fan shrowd on, u can see the newer filter we got, the fuel line is ready to go with the fuel filter and pressure regulator hooked up, you can see the fittings coming out for the external cooler. You can also see the cooler im using and oil filter. All i need now is the brushes, cap, and a second screw for my motorola 12v generator. Almost ready to bolt back up.

i got a bug, its tight

Attachments

BeevDawg

Reaction
Re: Almost there

We also took out the heater ducts and blocked the holes they left.

i got a bug, its tight

Attachments

BeevDawg

Reaction

We got a lot of things done today, i guess i will just let the pictures speak for themselves. We got all of the gas lines in and the gas tank in. We also did some other odds and ends to get this bitch together.

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction

chrome e-brake (harder to assemble than it seems)

i got a bug, its tight

BeevDawg

Reaction

you can pick this 20 gallon gas tank up for $100 at Fibertech.

i got a bug, its tight