Promoting Sponsors that help us race

MTPyle

I searched and did not see a thread about this so figured I would start one.

Really two topics here.

First is how do we make sure to support sponsors that support our sport? What do we do to make sure we are buying products that are on race vehicles? Its hard for me to know what brands support the sport. I try and pay attention to race vehicles in the pits and staging and make mental notes And I look at photos of other vehicles. But is there a better way to know which sponsors support us as a group?

For us our sponsors have a hard time tracking customers back to us or even knowing if the brand exposure really made a difference. Our main Sponsor Whipple Superchargers is a large nationwide brand that has a dealer network. So its not like someone sees our truck and calls Whipple to buy a product. We hope that if someone was looking at products in that category that they would recognize our supporter and try and buy from them. We are fortunate that our sponsor is a good friend and they get it but its hard for them to measure and I want to create tangible value for their investment.

Second topic is promoting on RDC. I assume thats somewhat of a grey area and they cant have people promoting brands that are not an official sponsor of the Forum. I have made a few post promoting Whipple on RDC and have never been told it was not OK, I just get the feeling I am treading in a grey area. and You all know if there is a grey area I will expose it and make it a mess. LOL

Besides promoting on IG and SM how can we get more value for our sponsors?

Maybe there is a way to have a section that we post special offers from our sponsors to the race community to create awareness?

What other ideas are out there?

Mike

MTPyle

43Mod,

Haha why didn't I think of that. :pLOL OK its settled, we are going to win V2R.

that was easy. Hehe

Mike

Last edited:

MTPyle

😂 Good idea and I love your discount code. LOL classic. I seriously laughed out loud at that one.

Mike

klaus

Administrator
I searched and did not see a thread about this so figured I would start one.

Really two topics here.

First is how do we make sure to support sponsors that support our sport? What do we do to make sure we are buying products that are on race vehicles? Its hard for me to know what brands support the sport. I try and pay attention to race vehicles in the pits and staging and make mental notes And I look at photos of other vehicles. But is there a better way to know which sponsors support us as a group?

For us our sponsors have a hard time tracking customers back to us or even knowing if the brand exposure really made a difference. Our main Sponsor Whipple Superchargers is a large nationwide brand that has a dealer network. So its not like someone sees our truck and calls Whipple to buy a product. We hope that if someone was looking at products in that category that they would recognize our supporter and try and buy from them. We are fortunate that our sponsor is a good friend and they get it but its hard for them to measure and I want to create tangible value for their investment.

Second topic is promoting on RDC. I assume thats somewhat of a grey area and they cant have people promoting brands that are not an official sponsor of the Forum. I have made a few post promoting Whipple on RDC and have never been told it was not OK, I just get the feeling I am treading in a grey area. and You all know if there is a grey area I will expose it and make it a mess. LOL

Besides promoting on IG and SM how can we get more value for our sponsors?

Maybe there is a way to have a section that we post special offers from our sponsors to the race community to create awareness?

What other ideas are out there?

Mike
Praise and promote anyone that is helpful to desert racing irregardless if they advertise with us or not. You simply show appreciation in the forum and we are completely ok with that.

It becomes a gray area when a company does exactly what other companies pay for without paying. There are words for that.

jon coleman

dont forget, each co. your team represents is being Closely Watched at All times, tech, contingency, the pitts, race day, ect ect, by who??, the next step up the food chain, until one day Ford Factory is looking at You!, race on....

51rcr

theres people that track and count time like on tv and put a value on it. the classic peson wearing a hat by the interview with head tipped down even get paid.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
The Martelli Brothers have been offering lots of tips over the years in sponsorship. Ironically this multipart article came out last week.

I also highly suggest this book. I know sponsors that have rejected proposals simply based on how they are approached regardless of results. One of our well respected off road family has even said that she can tell if they have taken the time to read this book based on the proposal they she gets asking for sponsor dollars.

I know its slightly different that Mikes original post, but felt like it may help someone.

jon coleman

start by going to sm and get Lotts of followers, otherwise you dont exist, its all about the sm plattforms now days

GBRACER

We have a buissiness that buys us tires for the race car and I make sure that I use him to buy tires for my truck when needed and mke a point of thanking him when I do but the tires for the sponsership, same goes for a couple other vendors sure helps in the long run.

azjeepracer

We have always ran on our own dime with all of our racing ventures. But I tell you what boy would it be nice to have some support to be able to go out more

MTPyle

Getting sponsors is really hard. We have great ones. I just want to maximize the value for them. Some good ideas on here already.

We could not race without our sponsors and the help we get.

Mike

Speedster

Just a small related anecdote: As a consumer, when you have a choice of multiple brands, buy the one that supports Motorsports. I know this is obvious, but we can all do better. Couple examples: When Rockstar dropped Rob Mac and others recently, I made the decision to only buy Monster when I am in the mood for expensive soda... When I happen to be driving by SDHQ and have the time, I stop in, say hello, and buy something I need (want?) or will eventually need. Yeah, I could probably find it marginally cheaper online, but online is not out at the races supporting us when we desperately need a part, advice, or service.
So there ya go. Remind your sponsors how brand loyal off-road racers, enthusiasts and fans are, towards the brands that support their sport. And go out of your way to spend money with those that support the sport-- 10% higher price is likely not going to bust your race budget, but when you need some help, that vendor or sponsor is going to bail you out and that is worth more than 10%.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Getting sponsors is really hard. We have great ones. I just want to maximize the value for them. Some good ideas on here already.

We could not race without our sponsors and the help we get.

Mike
Whats your media program?

I may suggest you hire a photog or buy photos and give them to your sponsors so they can promote their products and you. And/ or hire a videographer for the same purposes.
Top tip, good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good. YMMV