Promotional Ideas

Big_Rich

Ok, to help bring the crowds into the schort course rases, I've been considering a special contest for the second short course race, and after talking to Jerry Wald, I like to get your input on a jumping contest. Would anyone be interested?

Do you have any ideas for special promo type of events to throw in?

Input desired.....

Rich

www.vorra.com

curt

We're in, but I hope you will break it up into a couple of classes. Do the start finish jump backwards(clockwise) and break up the cars and trucks into 2 classes each. Winners get a break on their entry fee.

Since I'm not familiar with all the classes and potential equalities I'm just guessing here but maybe:
1st class- 1,8
2nd class- 7s,7
3rd class- 10's
4th class- Everyone else

How about some tug of war or a short mud bog for all the chrome trucks in the area, it seems to be a popular addition at the tough truck races, draws as many as 40-50 trucks for a couple of hundred in prize money. Charge them $10 or $20 ea and pay it all back out in a purse using percentages. The additional gate revenue would be a big help.

Curt

VORRA Class 7

NORCALf150

sounds good to me rich i like to the mud bogg idea theres a monster truck show (not much of one) that comes to town every year and they hold a burnout contest and mud drag..i like the jump contest

the faster i go the smother it is

vorra65

Hey Rich,

A couple of things?

Are you going to run moto's both Saturday and Sunday? Earlier in the year I recieved a letter stating that you were going to run the race both on Saturday and Sunday. In my opinion, racing on Sunday is the way to go. Saturday provides for getting to the track, bummin around the pits and wrenching on the car. I can see running some of the desert races two days, but not the short course.

As far as the jumping contest, doesn't do anything for me. I go to the races to see racing. If you need a jumping fix, go to Glamis. And the mud bogger/crawler/ chrome/ground pounder-whatever. Doesn't interest me. Boggin-tug o war- that ain't racing. VORRA is all about off road race cars and the people that enjoy that kind of motorsport. Yeah sure I run a VW motor in my 5 car, but I don't go to Bugorama cause it's a VW event. Don't care much for the kind of people an event like that attract's. VORRA people are off road people- don't lose track of it's more than 25 years of history. If your'e a promoter. and looking to make money on the gate, you may be able to attract more people with X game style motocross or extreme anything. But you will loose alot of die hard VORRA families, because VORRA is all about Off Road Racing. Enough of my rant, didn't mean to offend anybody.

I've got an idea for you in case you go forward with the jumping contest. Get a bunch of anti america protesters to lay down, and let us jump over them. I'M IN FOR THAT !

Anyway what I really wanted to know, is which day the main event will be.

P.S. Besides having the National Anthem sung, maybe Garland could lead the crowd and all the racers in the "Pledge of Allegiance".

billymanfroy

OK then...

I'm in for a jump contest, a bikini contest, an apple dunking contest, a sack race, a bikini contest... WHATEVER BRINGS MORE PEOPLE AND MORE MONEY. You asked for an opinion and I'm giving one. I don't really think you need to worry about losing anyone because you try to shake things up and add more entertainment value. Keep the ideas coming and don't be afraid to try new things. People always resist change, but changing something is the only way to make it better. Wait til vorra65 hears about the $10 fee to get in the pits!!! DUCK!

Billy

Big_Rich

Billy what $10.00 fee to get in the pits................?

Are you talking about the camping fee we are considering (or were considering)?

That will be in effect for spectators only, not teams.

Rich

www.vorra.com

curt

We need more spectators however we can get them. I agree with Billy and am more than willing to challenge him to a sack race (staring at the sack to figure out how to make it move, let alone go fast) if it will get the people to the track. We need more new blood both in the stands and on the track, our car counts have been steadily declining for the last 5 years we've been racing VORRA and its been hard to field some of the classes due to the lack of interest cause the purse is so low compared to the costs. It's a no brainer when it costs 275 to enter and only pays 2-300 and only has a few hundred for the points championship that this a losing proposition. We're now down to what a 3-1/2 hour event due to poor turnout?

We race USHRA and the entry fee is exactly $0.00 and our payback for the weekend is usually about $300 with an average of 5th place finishes, the only downside is its not "real racing", its clock racing, but its still running hard against 16 trucks. They can do that because they have the cash to foot the bill. When we go for sponsorship they don't get excited about the whopping 5000 people a year we have at VORRA, they get excited at the 250,000+ we can deliver in the arena's.

Promotion comes from all areas: the promoter, the racers, and the fans. It's all one big marketing package. Every race we try to bring someone new and every race we phone and email everyone we know to get them to the track, currently we're up to about 15 people who have nothing to do with our racing effort except to come enjoy it with us. It will take work from all of us to make this work....

Curt

VORRA Class 7

NORCALf150

rich dont know if you care or not but i have plenty of friends that ride freestlye motocross in the sacramento area one of my friends actully runs his own demos he has his own ramps and a portable landing ramp he can tow around. i know next week hes going to to do a demo near lake havasu for mtv but hes a good guy and if your interested in doin a demo in between the trucks and cars im sure hed be glad to show up....

the faster i go the smother it is

Big_Rich

I'd be interested. We will be getting some air time from RedBull here shortly. I hope before the 2nd race. We'll also be doing an insert into the Bee for the 2nd race, and we're putting together an ad torun on the cable stations. This week we're coverage on RSN (resorts stations network), they play at the resort areas like tahoe, reno, vegas, etc.. We'll do whatever we can to bring people into the park as long as it is cost effective.

Rich

www.vorra.com