Proposed limit number of riders per moto team @ SCORE events

JDDurfey

Reaction
IMO I think that plays a small factor into the majority of teams , which are budget guys . There’s still plenty of pit support available Baja pits , Mag 7 , Monkey Business even offers pit services . Honestly I believe it’s the entry fees , this years 1000 is $3700 for pro classes , including Ironman . That’s a lot of money for bike teams/rider(s). I believe if the entry fees were less expensive, there would be a larger bike/atv turnout that could actually generate a larger revenue/profit for SCORE . Don’t misconstrue my post as complaining nor expecting bike guys to pay pennies to race. But when I line up at the green flag , I’m here to RACE against other competitors.
I only raced one Baja race where we did not use Honda Pit Services, and that was only because at the 03 B500 Honda did not offer pit services to anyone other than the factory bike. We ended up pitting ourselves and finished 2nd in Class 30 with one bike and DNF'd in Class 40. I drove out to El Coyote and set up a pit there. In the early days of my racing down there Honda had many parts available at the pits included in our fee. This greatly reduced the need for spare wheels, tires, air filters and other essential items. While using one of the "independent" pit services is probably outstanding, their lack of parts was a major determent. If you knew the Honda guys well enough you could possibly get a rear wheel even when it wasn't flat. But in the later years of my racing down there Honda switched to the 450 and many of us were still racing the 650. At that time Honda scaled back the parts available at the pits greatly. We then started carrying spare wheels and parts in our chase trucks that we never carried before.

I believe the resurgence of bikes at the 05 B1000, which I raced, was strictly because of the release of Dust to Glory. People came out of the woodwork to check that race off their bucket list after watching the movie.

I would say that entry fees are probably one big detriment to the bike guys now. Mexico racing is still the best IMO, but with the cost soaring, I would probably race stateside if I was still racing.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I think UTV seems to be bringing in new people into the sport, rather than pulling people up from active moto classes. for me it's definitely the fees/costs that draw me to moto. I think most people who race motos do it for economical reasons. it's much cheaper than UTV or other entry level steering wheel classes. so having a larger entry fee is definitely going to turn people away, especially if they have another venue like BITD. I think they had close to 120 moto/quad entries for V2R this year up from over 100 or so last year. there were a lot of entries at the shorter SS300 also.

I can only afford to do one or two big races a year, if I have to chose between BITD or a SCORE race I will chose what gives me the most bang for the dollar for now. but then these are weird times, right now, so we'll see.

Rslhc

Reaction
As a guy currently finalizing plans for the 1000, I agree with a lot of the above. I wish we had more bike teams. Last year down there bikes felt like the vast minority. It does feel like score makes bikes the afterthought on everything except start time, which is more of liability mitigation in my opinion. I dont know that any of us Moto guys really *like* starting at 3/4am. I like being in front of TTs, but it seems like we as Moto guys are actually the ones that draw the short straw in that equation.

I love the idea of limiting riders on a team. I think it evens the playing field. I also think it would be nice to have some kind of mileage requirement for the ROR. I dont know how that would be enforced, but I think about the KTM team that has the ROR on like 3-4 bike teams down there. Seems like that is missing the point of the ROR idea.

But, as others have mentioned, the entry fees for bikes have gotten insane, all while not offering bikes anything unique compared to other races. Adding riders helps to mitigate this. Other series and events are looking to create Moto-only course sections, racing motos on a different day, or otherwise working to make the Moto experience better. I think many teams are seeing a decrease in value of the score events. Case in point, $3770 for entry fees, plus $1000 for baja pits. Plus transponder and Stella mounting and that is nearly exactly $5000 just to enter. No bike prep, no travel costs, no fuel, no lodging, no food.

None of us got into desert racing, especially south of the border because it was cheap. But $5000 to enter a race is getting out of hand, especially with the lack of attention the experience of us Moto guys. We considered adding several extra guys to help with costs, but we ultimately settled on 3 because we felt it was a good balance of cost and mileage sharing, while still retaining the endurance event effect.

stewwalker

Reaction
If you are talking about low entries, you need to look at the status of the motocross industry too. 10 years ago I had 7 or 8 tracks within an hour of me, now there is only 2. Supercross/motocross attendance has been declining the past 5 years. The price of a bike has increased. Track fees have doubled or tripled. Millennials play video games instead of go outside. Point being is its more difficult to get into dirtbike riding these days and the younger generation isn't interested.

As for races, why would someone pay SCORE 4k when they could pay NORRA 3k and have a week worth of fun instead of 20 hours of hell? I actually think a team limit would put a damper on the bucket list guys. Some of the sportsman riders get pooped after 80 miles. 5-6 guys is the only way they can finish the race.

Somehow we need to get overseas riders interested in racing in Baja and bring talented riders in. What was the 1st, 2nd, 3dr spread at the 500? Racing gets bland when the same guys win over and over. The entertainment in the pits is more exciting that watching the races now....

Personally, I'll never race a SCORE event due to the perceived disregard for rider safety. No air support available for downed riders until sunlight, and having bikes through the lake bed in the heat of the day are my biggest concerns.

SCORE was better with Tecate and Sal!

stewwalker

Reaction
If I was still racing a bike I would cringe at the amount of general san felipe zone riding there has been lately. F that stuff. Find me some alternate non destroyed lines to link up with the truck course and break up the horror. That would be fun and enticing.
I've always wondered why SCORE doesn't blade parts of the course they whoop out. Maybe every 5 years pick a section and grade it? I under stand the essence of the race is man and machine vs. Baja, but if miles of woops are deterring racers and driving up DNF's, wouldn't it be in SCORE's best interest to maintain the usual sections? Every time someone is interviewed they say the same thing "This is the roughest course ever". Wouldn't course maintenance please land owners and open up more sections?

mxben

Reaction
If you are talking about low entries, you need to look at the status of the motocross industry too. 10 years ago I had 7 or 8 tracks within an hour of me, now there is only 2. Supercross/motocross attendance has been declining the past 5 years. The price of a bike has increased. Track fees have doubled or tripled. Millennials play video games instead of go outside. Point being is its more difficult to get into dirtbike riding these days and the younger generation isn't interested.

As for races, why would someone pay SCORE 4k when they could pay NORRA 3k and have a week worth of fun instead of 20 hours of hell? I actually think a team limit would put a damper on the bucket list guys. Some of the sportsman riders get pooped after 80 miles. 5-6 guys is the only way they can finish the race.

Somehow we need to get overseas riders interested in racing in Baja and bring talented riders in. What was the 1st, 2nd, 3dr spread at the 500? Racing gets bland when the same guys win over and over. The entertainment in the pits is more exciting that watching the races now....

Personally, I'll never race a SCORE event due to the perceived disregard for rider safety. No air support available for downed riders until sunlight, and having bikes through the lake bed in the heat of the day are my biggest concerns.

SCORE was better with Tecate and Sal!

Next years schedule seems to be a bit more tailored to cooler temps with the 250 in Feb and 500 in April. Sure hope it sticks to that schedule. There is no reason to run that SF hell hole for the 500 in summer. Cant imagine being in a fire suit coming through borrego at 3:00. Nope.

class5cole

Reaction
The teams who are serious about the 1000 wouldn’t be deterred by the entry price, but it certainly doesn’t help.
As someone who couldn’t afford a new $15,000 bike every year, $5k to enter ($2500 split) just seems wild. Gotta pay for play I guess.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
Next years schedule seems to be a bit more tailored to cooler temps with the 250 in Feb and 500 in April. Sure hope it sticks to that schedule. There is no reason to run that SF hell hole for the 500 in summer. Cant imagine being in a fire suit coming through borrego at 3:00. Nope.
2021 is already out?

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
the cost is defenetly a factor. if we had money, we would probably be on a cage.. im not even sure if i want to keep racing score. ill probably try Record and Code long races. they are fun and super affordable.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I know desert racing isn't for wimps (Sal Fish reference), but I haven't understood the Baja 500 running down through San Felipe the last number of years, except this year, that was a different issue all together. There are plenty of areas over on the west coast and plenty of miles up at Mike's Sky Ranch to make a 500 mile loop without being in the 110 plus degrees and the beat to heck tracks of SF.

I always liked the 250 being around the end of February. Cool temps, heck it became a mud race in 06 in the section before dropping into Matomi.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
The teams who are serious about the 1000 wouldn’t be deterred by the entry price, but it certainly doesn’t help.
As someone who couldn’t afford a new $15,000 bike every year, $5k to enter ($2500 split) just seems wild. Gotta pay for play I guess.
there is a large group of us bike/quad guys that do not buy a new bike every year and who race bikes/quads exactly for the reason that it's possible at much lower cost. so for those $4-5k to enter is pretty steep. but you're right for the ones that can afford it at those levels, they will continue to race.

if SCORE is interested in higher turn out on bikes/quads, they will need to lower the entry fees. if they really value bikes and claim that they are part of the Baja legacy and helps with the draw, they also need to be open to the idea that part of the legacy is the non-pro bikers on a shoestring. on the other hand, maybe the steep entry fees is just the bar to see how serious we really are.