protruck

Paige

Reaction
I think Toyota has backed out of off-road because there are other opportunities for them to get more exposure for the amount of money spent. Also I think R & D funded a lot of the racing and if TRD has lost some funding that could way in too - I passed a Toyota Semi on the fwy the other day and they took motor off and it say Toyota Sports - so they are probably just looking at other avenues to spend money - same thing that happened when the other manuf's. pulled out - there are other places for them to spend $$.

As for Linda and Ivan - I have to agree - great people, doing alot for the sport and constantly pushing hte envelope on new racing opportunties and avenues - trying to promote the sport and create a demand in places we don't currently race - that is pretty cool!

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Steve I still have about 30 of those Ford truck hot wheels you are talking about. Looks just like Robbys old truck he sold to post just painted rough rider colors. Has anyone seen the Tundra hot wheel with the removable body, It is way killer, You take the body off exposing the cage and race interior and it is the same size as a hot wheel....

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Thanks Clifford, Gabe and Steve for the info.

PJCinLV
http://www.off-road.com</A>
Hated by Eco-Freaks and Bob Yen.

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Ed...
I am a fellow scale model enthusiast and would also love to do a hardcore offroad truck. I've never seen one for sale, but Dave A.K.A. DB Modelman (you might remember he built a model race truck a while back that Race-Dez had pictures of) builds his own custom models. I imagine he takes an existing kits and modifies it all to hell. It looks like it takes a lot of time, work, and creativity, but I'm already jonesing to give it a try myself. Here's a picture of a Robby Gordon truck he built...
(attached because I can't get the image to pop up here in my message)
Looks like fun huh? I'm not sure of Dave's website where he has a bunch of offroad car and truck model pictures but perhaps someone else does? If not I'll try and get it and get it to you.

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>
<A target=http://prerunners.com/butterfly.gif</A>">

Clifford

Reaction
Here's the address to Dave's site. I've contacted him about a few models that I'd like to have done. He can make any vehicle as long as there is a kit available for that truck. The models are kinda costly but well worth his time and effort.

http://www.saicorp.com/dbhome.htm</A>

Junior

Reaction
Lots of cool models on the Modelman's website. In fact, the Modelman is creating a replica model of our Protruck right now. He is the man. John, please provide us a link to his website for those interested.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Toyota is throwing all their money into Formula 1 for 2002. So between this project and manufacturing CART motors, something had to get cut out. Same situation for Rod Millen and his Pikes Peak Tacoma, Toyota pulled his sponsership, and he couldn't come up with enough cash to run the mountain last weekend. Rod should have hired out the truck to the producers of " The fast and the furious." Let's see, 1,000 hp, ground effects and nitrous. I'm sure it would have given those street racers a run for their money!!!

bajaboy

Reaction
If you want a bigger model , Tamiya makes a R/C version of Ivan's old stadium truck . I had one ,but gave it to my cousin , from what i remember it was pretty detailed kit . It came with BFG replicas on little ultra wheels with all the decals off the truck , even PPI's sticker, number plates ,etc. . I'm not sure if they still sell it ($100) , but I got it at hobby shack and have also seen it at Ultimate Hobbies in Orange .

bajaboy

Jimmy8

Reaction
Speaking of toyota. I just heard today that they are getting back into off road racing. I heard that they are building a trophy truck for larry rosselor. I also heard that it will have a rear end housing under it, and not that buggy technology that they used on Ivans truck. Just what I heard.

EQuin

Reaction
John, Steve, Clifford, Jen, Bajaboy, Michael and the rest of y'all,

Thanks alot for all the info on the model Trophy Trucks. Assembling and painting plastic model kits has always been a hobby of mine, and I'd love to have an off-road racing kit to work on. I hadn't thought of building a custom one out of a kit, though, but I must admit that it sounds time consuming and complex. And yes, those little Hot Wheels type Trophy Trucks are cool toys to have. I hadn't seen the Ford Prerunner one yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks again and take care,

Ed

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Hey Ed...
I was looking at model sites the other day and saw one that looked like it could easily be modified to be a somehwat hokey, but FUN kit. It's called the Chevy "Mad Mudder" and the picture looks pretty redneck, but it's got possibilities. Check it out at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ahobbycircle.com>www.ahobbycircle.comt</A> That site rocks.

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Here...I'll just attach a picture of it!

<A target=http://prerunners.com/butterfly.gif</A>">

EQuin

Reaction
Thanks alot of the great info, Jen. That green Chevy looks like it has some potential for modification.

Last week, I went to the local hobby shop here in Dallas and asked the clerk about any of the "do-it-yourself" assembly kits for off-road race trucks, like the Ivan one, but he didn't know. But the shop had the already assembled Ivan Tundra and the older Ivan orange and white TT for about $65. It also had some do-it-yourself assembly kits for rally race cars, like the WRC Subaru race car, for about $27 to $30. Hopefully the local hobby shops will stock up on TT and off-road race kits soon.

Take care,

Ed

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Speaking Of Models here are a couple of pics of mine. Dave Baldwin builds them, We will be featuring him real soon here on Race-Dezert so stay tuned, his work is awesome...

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have checked out Dave's website and his work looks sweet. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that model run you?

EQuin

Reaction
Whoa! David Baldwin's work is awesome! In true Wayne's World style, all I can say is "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" - lol. I've built and painted quite a few models myself, but nothing custom like that. Does he frequent this forum? I'd like to ask him how he does all that. I'm sure it takes alot of time, patience and skill. I'm wondering if the tubing can be made using the "trees" from which the little plastic parts from the kit are snapped off. Thanks for posting the cool pics. Take care,

Ed

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Ed...a lot of Dave's techniques are top secret...he could tell you, but he'd have to kill you. Oh wait, he is way too nice of a guy to kill you but maybe he'd have to give you an Indian burn or something.