Protrucks running in TT class!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
On another thread, there was a concern expressed regarding pit support for Protruck drivers at the B1K. I was wondering why more Protrucks don't run in the TT class. It seems that the few that have done that can and have been successfull. My thoughts and questions:

1) Since there is a tire and fuel issue with the Protruck, why not run TT in order to get the support from BFG and other pit teams? Is there already too much $ spent on other tires and fuel?

2) Does the Protruck orginization require Protruck owners to race in the Protruck class for a certain period or # of races? Does Protruck require the teams to purchase their required components from them or can you make or buy them elsewhere?

3) What mods have been done to other Protrucks in order to make them more competitive for the TT class? I know the engines are v-8's but have limited inches and comp, can you drop another motor in their without too much cutting and refabbing?

4) I would like to see more Protrucks in the TT class. I think they could be very reliable and competitive!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

RacrDude

Reaction
Hmmm...and I thought (hoped) the whole pitting issue had been worked out. I guess our Pro-Truck stays parked for another race.

Answers to waldo's questions as I understand them:

1) Quote from BFG Team letter: "In order to receive BFG pit support, you must have raced on BFG tires every time you raced this season."

2) You can make your own components, BUT they must match the spec Drawing exactly.

3) More rear wheel travel is possible...the front would be difficult.

4) We considered Running in TT....but buying 13 tires is "just" another Expense.

Remember...The number 1 PROBLEM with a Pro Truck ( besides not running BFG's)...TINY F$@#ING FUEL CELL....They WON"T go 120 miles.

I understand this "TIRE" deal was just "Business"....But who got the raw end of the deal???

DougM

Reaction
Remind me again why BFG/PT severed ties?
It appears that GY will not be helping pit wise etc at the B1K. What good is sponsership w/o any help.

"here we'll give you free tires but your on your own?"

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I commend BFG for all the hard work they do to not let anybody "use" them who haven't run on their tires all season. If Goodyear wants to get in the game they should at least offer half the support BFG does. F Goodyear!

See ya in the dirt!

RacrDude

Reaction
Bottomline...."Protruck" got more money from Goodyear. I understand it was a "business deal"...but "who's" gettin' the business. The ONLY guys happy with the change are the ones who get FREE tires. Look at all the Pro Trucks for sale OR running TT....you'll find a common answer...no BFG...no Pro Truck. I'll pay for the tires...the BFG pit support and their tires are PRICELESS...there is NO better. Period!!!

NOW....the Fuel is another story......

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I'm pretty sure only one person got the better end of that business deal! Hummmm....................

See ya in the dirt!

RacrDude

Reaction
This whole deal is a BIG BUMMER...the Pro Truck thing was kinda cool. The trucks are working good...great competition...race track parts support...used to have a TV deal...etc. IMHO, some of the recent changes ( ie: Tires, contract with Score, etc) are throwing the truck owners interest to the wind. The "other" bottom line is...It's Ivan's game...so you got to play by Ivan's rules.

jeff

Reaction
If the ProTruck owners are so pissed off why don't they stand up to Ivan (and his hair) and get things fixed? It seems that Goodyear hasn't really stepped up to help the actual owners/teams that run their products. I'm not really that sure who makes the decisions but it's crazy to think the owners/teams can't help decide the future of their class. I don't want to start an anti-Ivan thread but I've never liked the guy - I've met him a few times and have seen him more times than I can count... and each time is worse than the last. He's like a Robot in person and just oozes a-hole when he does TV commentary. I respect him for being one badass mofo of a driver but as a business person he's just too ME ME ME.

Too bad a great racing class is slowly being ruined by those with none. If "they" wanted to grow the ProTruck into something special they should've remembered the old rule that the customer is always right. Alienating your customer is a sure way to drive them to your competition... now might be a great time to start a new class that runs the SAME trucks (I doubt they have a patent on the design) but with better management. I feel sorry for the poor guys/gals that are expected to run Baja without BFG pit support - what the heck are you going to do?

Last thing before I go back to work... are the ProTrucks (stock Goodyear MTR's right?) still getting a ton of flats?

Aloha

Thought I'd add this... <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.protruck.com/specs.html>http://www.protruck.com/specs.html</A> --- The ProTruck site still shows BFG as the tire sponsor :)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jeff on 10/17/02 02:53 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

RacrDude

Reaction
Ivan/ Pro Truck has a Legal Contract with Sal/SCORE to not ALLOW a "New" Class that would use "Pro Trucks" for 3 years....That deal was signed around the same time Goodyear signed a contract....Hmmmm........kinda makes you wonder.....

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Mark Miller won the 500 in a pro-truck with a large motor. If he can do it maybe all the other owners should consider the switch. If enough owners switch there might be a change in the way the class is run. It was kinda sad to hear the BFG relay guy's asking "what tire are you running?" durring the race at the 500. This isn't helping the sport at all.

MikeLeung

Reaction
I was listening into that radio traffic at the 500. I dont think it was sad. Some race team kept breaking into the radio traffic to try and get a status of their race car. BFG reley asked the team to hold on, but those guys kept harassing the relay. Fed up, BFG relay asked if that team was part of Team TA and what tire they ran. They went queit after that. BFG does a service to desert racing and has every right to only help racers running their tires.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Jeff, the protrucks are now running the "black" tire which is the top of the line MTR.

I dont think anyone should be bad mouthing anyone in this sport until you can do better then the person you are bad mouthing. I am not on either side of this. I love watching protrucks race, its some of the best and closest in the dezert. I hope something gets worked out. It is not good for anyone to sell them or change classes with them, I am suprised the value has stayed so high on them.. That is a good thing.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Rumor has it that Ivan wanted a BFG semi at a show he was doing where he was showing the Protrucks off and wanted mroe publicity...BFG said no way we are sending a semi down to the show. Ivan got pissed off, flew out to BFG and barged in on a big meeting and raised hell. The big man in the meeting said "who the hell is this this guy and where does he think he can barge in like that?" and then said "we dont want to sponsor somebody like that...your deal is done" and Ivan went home with no semi, no sponsor and his tail between his legs and ran to Goodyear.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

ONE_RJ

Reaction
PROTRUCK IS A VERY COMPETITVE CLASS , THE TRUCKS WORK GREAT AND IT IS TOUGH TO WIN , WHEN THE TRUCKS ARE SO CLOSELY MATCHED, AND THAT LEADS TO UNHAPPY RACERS. WE ALL WANT TO CHANGE THINGS THAT WOULD HELP US MAKE OUR TRUCKS WORK BETTER, HOPING TO GIVE US THE ADVANTAGE. THE CLASS WAS DESIGNED TO TAKE 3 (AND HOPEFULLY 4 BY THE 1000) DIFFERANT VEHICLE MFGS. AND TRY TO CLOSELY MATCH THEM AGAINST EACHOTHER TO CREATE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. YOU CAN'T DO THAT BY RUNNING WHATEVER BRAND OF PRODUCT YOU FEEL IS BEST SUITED FOR YOU. WE ALL DEAL WITH THE SAME ISSUES GOOD OR BAD. BUT FOR THE MOST PART IVAN'S PROTRUCK CLASS IS THE BEST PRODUCT FOR YOUR DOLLAR OUT THERE . WHAT OTHER CLASS HAS A $ 40,000. YEAR END PURSE THAT IS NOT EVERYBODYS OWN MONEY ? IVAN , LINDA , RON & DEA ARE GREAT PEOPLE TRYING TO DO GREAT THINGS FOR OFF-ROAD RACING AND NEED TO HAVE A PROFITABLE COMPANY TO KEEP THINGS GOING. THEY HAVE CAME A LONG WAY'S IN A SHORT TIME. IT IS TOUGH TO PLEASE EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO DO WHATS IN YOUR OWN BEST INTEREST TO STAY ALIVE. THE GOODYEAR TIRE HAPPENS TO BE A GOOD PRODUCT. I MYSELF PREFER TO HAVE MY TEAM FUEL AND PIT THE TRUCK. I FEEL THEY DO A GREAT JOB. YES, BFG DOES DO A GREAT JOB ALSO AND SUPPLY A LOT OF INFORMATION AND ALSO MAKE A GREAT PRODUCT, BUT I THINK WE CAN STILL MAKE IT TO LA PAZ.

azrace

Reaction
Protrucks are great to watch, there are few classes that are consistently as close as they are. Like them or not they do have the better year end money and they have been improving the performance of them ie; allowing better brakes etc. It is also one of the best ways to start racing if you have the money. The fact that you can run in TT with some modifications shows it is really a pretty good design. thats my 2 cents

Clifford

Reaction
I feel it is only a matter of time before you start seeing Goodyear in the dez. Look at all the support that Goodyear gives Nascar. Once they see what they need to do, you may start seeing a Goodyear trailer in Baja.

DVMchase

Reaction
Clifford I couldnt of said it any better! I work for Goodyear and I go to all the nascar events to distrubute tires for them, I love it too! I also love the desert too and I am working on trying to get Goodyear to give some pit support starting next year. But I am only one person and I can only do so much, I will try my best to make it happen for next year.

There's no substitute for horsepower!!

martininsocal

Reaction
I think it is wrong to spec any over the counter part that can be bought simply and is not custom. Tires, Shocks, Trannies, should be any manufacturer that meets the class criteria. How can you say that running a 35" BFG would be such an advantage UNLESS it is truly the better tire? And if it is the better tire(it is) why shouldn't you be aloud to run it? Same with shocks. Fox, SAW,King, Bilstien, etc...all offer shocks that will bolt in place on the Protrucks, so why not allow them? Maybe prices would come down? Maybe there would be a little more tech support(not bagging) and maybe more manufacturers would get involved. Goodyear may show up with a trailer in Baja someday? They used too, so did General, Armstrong, Yokahama, etc...where are they now? Goodyears excuse that they can't a program up and running is bogus, they know how to do it and have the equipment to do it, they simply don't have to because their tires are GUARANTEED a win in class 2 at the 1000, why bother spending any money...

If your gonna go, go BIG

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Goodyear sponsors Taylors' in their new Trophy Truck. They have sponsored them I think for most, if not, all of their racing career. In fact they just developed a brand new project MTR just for them. So that shows at least some of Goodyear's support in off-road racing.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
GOODYEAR HAS BEEN HELPING OUT ALOT OF TEAMS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE I DO BELIVE IT IS WRONG OF IVAN TO START MAKING MORE MONEY ON THE OWNERS OF THE PRO TUCKS TO PAY FOR THOSE TIRES I HEARD THEAT THE TIRES WERE TO BE GIVEN TO THE TEAMS FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!BUT I VAN WANTED CONTROL AND TO MAKE A BUCK OFF OF THEM IVAN IN MY OPINION IS ACTING ALOT LIKE A FISH WE ALL KNOW TRYING TO MAKE THOSE POCKETS THAT MUCH LARGER THAN WHAT THEY ARE ALL I KNOW I CAME IN CONTACT WITH IVAN ASKED HIM TO COME RUN A RACE WITH THE PRO TRUCKS HE TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM $10,000 DOLLARS TO SHOW UP AND HE WILL BRING THE PROTUCKS TO THE RACE WE WOULD NOT MAKE THE MONEY BACK EVEN IN ENTRY FEE'S TO EVEN COVER THAT 10 GRAND I TOLD HIM WHERE TO GO I TOLD HIM I WOULD BE LOSING BEFORE EVEN GETTING STARTED BUT GREED KILLS I GUESS IT SEEMS TO NEVER END