PTT SAT Phones

WindRiver

Reaction
We are having PTT SAT Phones recommended to our team rather than radios, and SAT Phones.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Msats.. I like them alot more than sat phones for chase/race/race ops.

They are significantly more expensive than a sat phone but you can make calls from them as well.

As a cheaper alternative to both, look in an Iridium Go unit. Effectively turns your cell phone into a sat phone as well as sat texting.

Satmodo sells them and PCI has the Msats

WindRiver

Reaction
Msats.. I like them alot more than sat phones for chase/race/race ops.

They are significantly more expensive than a sat phone but you can make calls from them as well.

As a cheaper alternative to both, look in an Iridium Go unit. Effectively turns your cell phone into a sat phone as well as sat texting.

Satmodo sells them and PCI has the Msats
It sounds like the Push To Talk SAT phones are relatively new and take the place of radios, and are a lot more versatile than traditional SAT phones.

Fourstroker

Reaction
With one exception (the UTV World Championships), BITD is speed controlled pit access, no bypass. I think it's more of a land use and spectator/safety issue than anything else. There is no legal access to the full-speed race course, ever.
It sounds like the Push To Talk SAT phones are relatively new and take the place of radios, and are a lot more versatile than traditional SAT phones.
Bigger teams are still running both.

steveG

Reaction
Bigger teams are still running both.
Ditto on teams running both. PTT Sat systems generally work well and can easily be integrated into intercom systems, but because they operate independently of the 2-way radio, there’s little reason to ditch the radio.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The truck I was in at the last 1000 had the Msat set-up from PCI. First time I had used one. Worked flawlessly! Was able to talk to our base guy stateside like he was next door. No annoying chatter from the locals or other teams parked on your channel. We still had the VHF for weatherman if needed, but the sat radio was perfect.

WindRiver

Reaction
The truck I was in at the last 1000 had the Msat set-up from PCI. First time I had used one. Worked flawlessly! Was able to talk to our base guy stateside like he was next door. No annoying chatter from the locals or other teams parked on your channel. We still had the VHF for weatherman if needed, but the sat radio was perfect.
Good to hear. Thank you.

MTPyle

Reaction
How do others talk to you? does everyone need a PTT Sat phone device or is there an App?

Mike

WindRiver

Reaction
How do others talk to you? does everyone need a PTT Sat phone device or is there an App?

Mike
On recommendation from Baja Pits, we have rented one phone for each chase rig, and the race bike. They work similar to the old Nextel phones where we have our own channel and can also tie into the Baja Pits channel. On our channel, if I push to talk, all other phones on our channel will hear me. (Anyone with experience, please correct me if iam mistaken) Based on other research, we'r are looking into having one VHF unit in one chase car to keep track of the race AMD the Weather Man.

MasTacos

Reaction
PTT is a good solution. I drove 29 miles up past Urupan to Lagrimas to retrieve a broken truck. The PTT allowed us instant comms with the crew of the truck and other chase crews so they knew where to bring the trailer to, what our progress was and allowed the guys in the broken vehicle to alert us for race traffic coming down the race course at us.

51rcr

Reaction
rent them call satellite phone store. they can help you out. in the racer we got a switch to go from a and b, radio, phone. between them and PCI you will have it set up. you can call on them also. They show the distance between them also. Also rent racingtrax for position and can send emails between units and positon. you will use them all if you have them. get some tablets for maps and for the emails, even the simple maps are almost the easiest. Map.me was my favorite app. We just keep separate tablets for maps and tracking. Velcro them to the dash, have brightness on auto dim.

Laurie

Reaction
We were really excited to try the PTT sat phones but they didn't work for us. We never found out if one of ours was defective or we weren't using them correctly, which seemed unlikely but it was really frustrating and disappointing.

51rcr

Reaction
We were really excited to try the PTT sat phones but they didn't work for us. We never found out if one of ours was defective or we weren't using them correctly, which seemed unlikely but it was really frustrating and disappointing.
We had some last minute new boxes. and had to bypass fancy part of the box with a simple plug.