Puertecitos to san felipe on the beach?

osborne

Reaction
Has anyone gone from puertecitos to sf on the beach? If so...anything special to know? Looking for a more fun way than pavement in sxs.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Has anyone gone from puertecitos to sf on the beach? If so...anything special to know? Looking for a more fun way than pavement in sxs.
I've never tried it the entire way, but there are definitely some obstacles that keep you from doing it all on the beach. First, it's not all sandy beach. South toward Puertecitos its more rock and gravel. Second, you'll want to do it at low tide. There are at least a couple spots where you can only get by then.

Then there is the "Back Bay" Bahia Santa Maria, south of Percebu. You have to head inland and go west of the small dry lake here, until you get to Percebu. Still plenty of fun and no pavement. After Percebu, I have no idea. I'm sure plenty of others can take it from there. But the closest you'll get to San Felipe without getting on pavement is the harbor. I think you can probably do about 95% of it on beach sand (or gravel/rock near Puertecitos).

There may be other obstacles, but like I said, I've never done the whole thing.

Watch your temps in the soft sand. Watch out for people, beach toys, fishing lines, etc.

43mod

Reaction
Its been a long time for me on a quad. Certainly doable . Will have to run over ugly lesbos from Chico telling you they own the beach and you cant ride on it every mile or so !

AZ7000'

Reaction
Bikes, I'm not afraid. Our group helped out a stranded ex pat last trip when her quad wounding start well below the tide line. We ran into a jack a$$ at one of the southern campos last year, wanna be banger who probably won't come back up here to the US and had a sawed off little piece behind his back. Private property and his kids almost getting hit were his concerns. I marked it on the GPS and cut in north of that, beach is crappy that far south anyway... A truck or buggy would be a bigger deal, donkeying along in a samurai I wouldn't see anyone care.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Bikes, I'm not afraid. Our group helped out a stranded ex pat last trip when her quad wounding start well below the tide line. We ran into a jack a$$ at one of the southern campos last year, wanna be banger who probably won't come back up here to the US and had a sawed off little piece behind his back. Private property and his kids almost getting hit were his concerns. I marked it on the GPS and cut in north of that, beach is crappy that far south anyway... A truck or buggy would be a bigger deal, donkeying along in a samurai I wouldn't see anyone care.
Just tell the 'banger' that anything below the tide line is federal property. I'm sure he'll understand and be gracious.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
You will run into rocks around km 50, I don't know if it's passable.
Have FUN!
ps make sure you have plenty of fuel because the Pemex at puertocitos is usually closed

Last edited:

randy s

Reaction
even in the old days, before the highway and the place was starting to fill up with ejido campgrounds and lots for sale, it was fool hardy and impractical to ''try'' to drive the beach the whole way...even on the lowest of tides, obstacles at punto estrella, percibu, santa maria would require a slight detour around places that would swallow vehicles whole in the mud and if they couldn't be retrieved the following high tide would make rust buckets out of them..in some cases completely submerging them..with extreme low tides comes extreme high tides and the northern sea of cortez has one of the most extreme tides on earth..it's common to watch the tide come in a quarter mile or more in 20 minutes...the maduena family at santa maria has made vehicle retrieval pretty lucrative over the past few decades..from la roca and el vergil going south is challenging but doable in spite of some really ignorant stretches of soft gravel and sand.personally, i don't think it can be done now if it ever could be at all to be honest...but you can try i suppose but it's just not a smart move..

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
I've done it many times years ago in a little Hi Jumper buggy but you do have to pop out to go around Santa Maria and again at Percebu. It is only possible at low tide do to the rocks about 10 miles north of Puertecitos. Good Luck and let us know the current conditions.