pully seal

evan_clanin

Reaction
i had a major oil leak and i coulndt find it till my dad pointed out it was the pully seal, can u guys give me any pointers to get this job done

aim for the moon even if you miss you will land among the stars

hoeker

Reaction
i think you need to be more specific.

<font color=yellow>LIGHTS RIGHT<font color=yellow>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

dislocated1

Reaction
what kind of vehicle is it?

<font color=green>dislocated1</font color=green>
In order to avoid criticism, never do anything. Ever.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
You mention "stock toy" in your profilr so I'll assume you have a 22r.....

The front seal leaks often, the seal wears a groove in the snout of the pully. Parts stores sell "Sleeve and seal kits' a small metal sleeve fits over the crank pully snout, and you install a new seal. Removing the crankshaft pully and maybe the radiator, for access is about all that is needed.

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

evan_clanin

Reaction
oh shiza i forgot to mention that, sorry been a long day, its a 22re

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
I just replaced mine a few months ago. Here are a few things:

1.You will need an impact gun to re-install the bolt on the pulley. Good luck without one.

2.You can remove the bolt on the pulley with a braker bar against the frame and turning over the motor. Be sure to remove your coil wire before attempting this.

3. Toyota switched to a thinner main seal at some point in time. If you get the right seal, you don't have to sleeve the snout. With the thinner main seal you can choose a different location that is not worn. Bring your old main seal to the parts department to compare it with the new one. The new one should be about half as thick as the old one.

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

evan_clanin

Reaction
thanks guys, im gona keep dumpin oil into it till this weekend, my dad said they switched to a different seal recently, and i have no problems with the parts department, my dad is the head service writer for toyota in key west, so were gona have fun this weekend, he says a 6 pack and 20 minutes he will have it done

yotatech

Reaction
At work we use a chain wrench and a breaker bar to take off the pulley. You dont need to take out the radiator, just take the belts off and you should be good.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
You should place a bet with your dad for some new shocks. 20 minutes, my ass!
You guys will be lucky to get the radiator drained and pulled, belts off, and puley off in 1 hour.
Let us know how long it took.....

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
6 pack and 20 minutes are synonymous in the wrenchin world!!! If it was a case or 2 to repair it lookout!!!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

evan_clanin

Reaction
well hes been turnin wrenches for 20 plus years too, so we will see

michael_loomis

Reaction
20 minutes ....with the right tools thats easy. especially if you can skate buy without pulling the radiator. i've changed 2 front seals (cummins 5.9L) in 20 minutes. (although they were on a yacht and i had more room to work)

impact the pulley off

screw 2 sheetmetal screws (1 on each side)into the seal.

pry or use visegrips to pull the seal out. clean surfaces , reinstall new seal , i like to apply permatex #2 to new seal around outer edge.

install pulley using correct torque specs and BAM!! no more leaks !

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Can't impact the pulley off without making room by removing the radiator.
Seal pulls out easily without getting crazy with wood screws. (Good trick though!)
I still say no way in 20 minutes, even with every tool known to man..........

Let us know how long it took.

evan_clanin

Reaction
um well the damn seal finally got here yesterday, gota love living in the middle of know were, it took alil over 23 minutes to complete this, including several hgikes to the garage to get tools, just pulled the belts poped the outer pully after the 4 bolts were removed, the threw on a breaker bar with a 3/4 inch nut and turned it over and took 3 tries but we got it on the 3rd then pulled the main pully and poped the seal back in a put every thing back together

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

evan_clanin

Reaction
we put blue lock tight on it, then i wedged a screw driverthrew a slot on the pully not a bolt hole and wedged it against a lil bublble in the metal behing the pully on the block side, and the locked the pully from turning the tightend it, then removed it and hit it with the breaker bar on it a few times with a hammer, the main part was the screw driver wedge, dont go threw the bolt holes *there are 4 of them* go threw the slots on the pully and wedge it, u shouldnt have to hit it with a hammer but all i grabbed was a lil screw driver and it bent it some so after we got it some what tighet then we hit it

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?