PULSE or no PULSE ????

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
so been burning filler as much as i can lately and started playing a bit with the Pulse feature on my 200 syncrowave was wondering if anybody uses it and when do you use it ?? a buddy told me to forget it,s there and not worry about it unless your welding a beercan and such .

Halibrand

Reaction
When used properly, it can greatly reduce the heat put into the material overall, which can give you smaller heat affected zones.

I ran a Miller 350P and when messing around with 12" long aluminum 1/4" PL coupons, I could make a huge yet bitchin' lookin' single pass with the pulse on, with the pulse turned off it would start flattening the bead towards the end and heated the whole plate up somethin' fierce. One of them had a hole burned through it right at the end. The pulse kept the heat to a minimum and I didnt need to alter my weave as the plate heated up.

Bottom line is you dont NEED it (my grandfather and father never used it!), but I was fortunate enough to have my work fly me to a skills center where I got to see the difference first hand by a Certified Welding Instructor. And believe me, there IS a difference.

Take the time to mess with it if you can.

Chase 2

Reaction
What he said. Makes aluminum a bit easier in some applications.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I have the same machine, what does the DIG do?

ZTFab

Reaction
I have the same machine, what does the DIG do?

DIG or Balance control is for A/C welding and determines the percentage of positive to negative cycles of the A/C wave through the material. As the current cycles back and forth it penetrates and cleans the oxide layer off of the aluminum. More "DIG" will get you more penetration but less cleaning action. For heavy oxide layers you can boost the cleaning action but may have to add more amps to the coarse setting of the machine to penetrate enough.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
DIG or Balance control is for A/C welding and determines the percentage of positive to negative cycles of the A/C wave through the material. As the current cycles back and forth it penetrates and cleans the oxide layer off of the aluminum. More "DIG" will get you more penetration but less cleaning action. For heavy oxide layers you can boost the cleaning action but may have to add more amps to the coarse setting of the machine to penetrate enough.
Thanks

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
so you guys use it for aluminum only or for steel as well ?? i haven,t tried aluminum yet just got some filler and some Gold tungstens today so i may try later tonite , when i tried it with steel it made a difference in the look of the beads .

ZTFab

Reaction
You can use the pulse feature on steel and/or aluminum. It depends on what you're welding and if you prefer using it or not...it's personal preference.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
For non-AC you should set your balance at 3. . .when welding aluminum I set the balance at about 4.5, but I cleaned all of my aluminum with a wire wheel and then again with a SS wire brush right before welding so that I didn't need much cleaning action.