Punk Rock

D4D

Reaction
And before you read any further I should make something VERY clear. REAL punk not this crap that the radio stations, MTV and Hot Topic try to push off as punk.

With that said lets move on.

In recent years I have noticed that a lot of us in this community are good ol' punks. Hearing everything from Rancid, Social D, Operation Ivy to The Adicts, So my question is, what other things do we have that tie us together? Who else is into or maybe were into the following:

Skateboarding
Snowboarding
Surfing
BMX
Art
Writting

steveG

Reaction
I was by no means punk growing up, but a several of my friends were very into it and as a result I listened to my fair share but never actually invested enough time to learn band names and such. I mostly relied on burned CDs from friends. These days I find myself searching out songs and bands of the stuff I listened to back in the day.

Rancid... love them, Social D... absolutely a staple in my music library. How can you not love a band that's so angry about everything? Operation Ivy... I had forgotten about them but I'm reacquainting myself as I type... good stuff!

Skating... It's been a long time and I was never really good at it but damn did I enjoy countless hours on my board. A couple years ago I started to threaten to dig it up and maybe buy a new deck. My wife thought I was nuts. It's starting to sound like a good idea again. LOL

Snowboarding... no, Surfing... no, BMX... I lived about 10 miles from the BMX track in Lemoore. I used to ride to the track (on off weekends), throw my bike over the fence and race the track with friends. Art... not really. Writing... I thoroughly enjoyed every English and all of my writing/literary classes. I had an awesome professor in one of the JCs I attended that made me look forward to every class and assignment. I even considered majoring in English but wondered what the hell I would do with it. Looking back I should have. I think I would have remained more inspired.

Who's next?

SpceSpff

Reaction
I grew up with punk rock. I was a big skater, boogie boarder, and snow boarder. I had a "bmx" bike, but not anything nice. I just liked to ride, and go off jumps we built with shovels. No nice tracks or anything.

Racbaja

Reaction
Grew up listening to punk, used to be heavy into skating, switched to skates and ripped on vert. Skated all the parks in SD, skated with Tony Hawk most weekends at Del Mar, skated The Pipeline in Upland and skated every empty pool I could find. Raced BMX from 12 to 17, my girls started racing about three years ago and I joined them about a year ago and now race Cruiser Class. Going to Lake Parris on the 14th for the So Cal National.

Ron Plunkett
Plunkett Racing 557

Chase 2

Reaction
Punk Rock died long before Op Ivy (actually a Ska band) and Social D (more rockabilly than anything) were formed. True Punk Rock included: The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop. True Punk Rock was gone by 1980.

steveG

Reaction
Punk Rock died long before Op Ivy (actually a Ska band) and Social D (more rockabilly than anything) were formed. True Punk Rock included: The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop. True Punk Rock was gone by 1980.

I have to agree with that. But, as with most forms of music, the definition (and bands that define it) are constantly changing.

As for Social D, I prefer their live stuff. The studio versions are way too polished... very rockabilly as chase put it.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
I was way into BMX until my PK Ripper got jacked. that was such a sweet bike.

SURF'S UP BRO!

SK8 OR DIE!

Lance

Reaction
Bmx for life go to pe.com and search my name i got pics in newpapers haha...Punk music is what motivates me to do pretty much anything.

SpceSpff

Reaction

Dead Kennedys weren't punk rock? TSOL? Minor Threat?

I do agree about Op Ivy and Rancid, etc. Not punk.

glamisrnr

Reaction
What about Pennywise? I like alot of the Old School Punk some of the new stuff isn't that good.

Oi!

D4D

Reaction
OK, the "punk" qualification is going to be something that is always going to disagreed upon. Social D, Rancid, etc.. I think it depends on your age and where you came from. I dismissed Rancid for a long time but seeing them live really changed my mind. Apoeration Ivy is the guys guys from Rancid with a different sound. This could go on and on.
How about this, we just all agree that stuff like Sum 41, Blink 182 and all this crap is NOT punk!

Now on a different note. We have a lot of skaters here, anyone still ride. If so we should do a Off Road SK8 jam at the public Upland park around a CORR weekend.

MALIBLOC

Reaction
my buddie just bought the new 26" pk ripper orange and red its aweful looking but a sick bike

MALIBLOC

Reaction
punk rock suck, its all about being a hessian-----Iron Madien forever!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 281

zetapsi827

Reaction
i love punk rock. one thing it did for me was give me exposure to not-so-big bands that play good music. it got me in the habit of looking for music that was not shoved down my throat by MTV, VH1, or crappy radio stations. i found good bands like slightly stoopid, authority zero, and o.a.r.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
my buddie just bought the new 26" pk ripper orange and red its aweful looking but a sick bike

There is a new PK? hmmmmmmmmmm:)

scottm

Reaction
Punk after 1980 was better if anything - Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Black flag, Fear, X, the Damned, Meat Puppets, Adolescents, TSOL, etc. I was into Zep and Black Sabbath, but my little sister was as deep into punk as possible. She dated someone in the circle jerks, and later someone in JFA, and they were often over at my house practicing. She is also on the album cover of the Nova Boys, another phx skate punk band like JFA.

If you dont know 80's punk, here is a pretty knowledgable list by someone on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Livin-80s-best-hardcore-albums/lm/PY9RHIV382H9/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrsrs0

Last edited:

D4D

Reaction
SE BMX relaunched a couple of years ago and are doing the PK and the Quad Angle again, same basic designs with new parts, classic bikes that are sometimes very hard to find. SE has also started to release retro stuff like number plates, jerseys and the like.

http://www.sebikes.com/2008/index.asp

Gummi Bear

Reaction
For me, it was BMX that tied me into the punk rock.

Bad Religion, Black Flag, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Circle Jerks, Descendents, Ramones (all on my MP3 player right now), and from the newschool, I do admit to digging on Pennywise and Hank 3's Assjack (is that really punk?)

I rode until I could drive, then was off the bike for a few years, then got back into riding until my daughter was born. I sold off my downhill bike, trials bike, and have my BMX bike for sale. I made a promise to my wife that I'd do my best to be a good provider for them; dirt jumps, skatepark, high speed downhilling/freeride were no way to assure staying healthy.

Those of you still into the riding, and punk, check out Carsrcoffins.com. It's pretty informal, not much more than a blog, but Hurl puts together some good reviews of music, beer, and riding events.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
If ya'll want to hear some interesting punk, do a search for Hank the Third. It is Hank Williams Jr.'s son, and anyone who already knows his music knows what it is I speak (type) of. His shows are kick-azz, as half the set is his twist on country, the second half pure punk. One of my favorites is his version of Gin n Juice....