Punk Rock

Gummi Bear

Reaction
If ya'll want to hear some interesting punk, do a search for Hank the Third. It is Hank Williams Jr.'s son, and anyone who already knows his music knows what it is I speak (type) of. His shows are kick-azz, as half the set is his twist on country, the second half pure punk. One of my favorites is his version of Gin n Juice....

That would be Assjack, his punk rock band. I've been wanting to see him for a while, but he keeps booking weeknight shows here in Dallas, and I just can't stay out like I used to.

BlueCrace

Reaction
That would be Assjack, his punk rock band. I've been wanting to see him for a while, but he keeps booking weeknight shows here in Dallas, and I just can't stay out like I used to.

One of the best shows I have seen include Hank-3, Reverend Horton Heat, Cadillac Tramps and Junior Brown....

Gummi Bear

Reaction
The Rev is a killer show. He's from Dallas, and so I used to catch him down in Deep Ellum all the time back in college. Junior Brown is on my "To See" list as well, I've liked his music for a long time.

I'm going to have to check out the Cadillac Tramps. I'm not familiar with them.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
Sex Pistols
The Damned
Suicidal
Bad Religion
Pennywise
GBH
Social D
Black Flag
The Cramps
All still on my Ipod and was raised on the early stuff.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I was involved in the skateboard industry for 12 years. Any body in HB remember "marges" on beach and talbert?

There was a time when Social Distortion was not so rockabilly. Go get 1945 or Mommies Little Monster. They were made before Mike Ness fell in love with Johnny Cash.

Last edited:

chino

Reaction
Dead Kennedys weren't punk rock? TSOL? Minor Threat?

I do agree about Op Ivy and Rancid, etc. Not punk.

I think it's hard to put labels on the punk scene all those bands you mentioned and some others like D.R.I., Bad Brains,and even Black Flag etc. were labeled as Hardcore for some reason go figure.

Like a month ago on Direct TV (i really dont remember the channel ) they were showing a documentary on the Hardcore and Punk scene from the beginning of the 80's and it was really good, they mentioned a lot of bands that for some reason i forgot about their names.

I am 33 years old now and i have 3 older brothers that were really into the punk music so i kind of grew up listening to the majority of the bands mentioned here and some others like The Exploited, Bad Religion (the old stuff),The Clash,etc.

glamisrnr

Reaction
If any body has Dish Network channel 6029 is the Punk channel. One of my favs.

D4D

Reaction
And Sirius satelite radio has an all punk channel. Between that and Stern it is ALL i listen too. 500 miles south of the border in Baja and getting perfect radio with killer music. There is NOT a better entertainment invest, especially if you spend a lot of time on the road.

B

Brandon Johnson

And Sirius satelite radio has an all punk channel. Between that and Stern it is ALL i listen too. 500 miles south of the border in Baja and getting perfect radio with killer music. There is NOT a better entertainment invest, especially if you spend a lot of time on the road.

I agree with Sirius south of the border and in the states. Other than Stern and bubba I stick to ch. 29, and I am glad they added it because the Faction channel, well, sucks.

I have to admit I wasn't really into punk music until I started snowboarding for a living and all my friends in the Grenade Gloves team turned me onto it. At first I only listened to Pennywise and NOFX (which is still my fav. band) but they turned me onto the misfits, agent orange, the cramps , GBH and a bunch more. Well i guess I'll say that snowboarding and friends influence turned me to punk music.
cool thread

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
One of the best shows I have seen include Hank-3, Reverend Horton Heat, Cadillac Tramps and Junior Brown....

Was this at Galaxy in Santa ana???

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Punk Rock died long before Op Ivy (actually a Ska band) and Social D (more rockabilly than anything) were formed. True Punk Rock included: The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop. True Punk Rock was gone by 1980.

Amen to that....

When they were gone I turned to Generation X and later to Billy Idol, but that is just MTV pop

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
I love Punk been listening to it for years, Desendants, DK, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Dead Milkmen, Deviates, The Monster Squad(great band outta parker), Diverged, Illusive, Suicidal, Down By Law,88 fingers louie(thanks Dezert people), H2O, MILLENCOLIN, Me First and the Gimme Gimmies way to many to list but good times... People around Havasu area there is a show Feb 22nd...
Look up the Atrocities on Myspace local parker band (all my buddies since kindergarden) they try getting better...

I was into BMX and skating for a while...

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
I was a punk in the late 70's. I surfed and skated. I still listen today. A couple months ago I was leaving best buy and some kids that were all dressed punk were hangin out and gave me dirty dgaf looks when I walked by. I drove past them on my way out with dead kennedys cranked and flipped em off. POSERS. LOL

Alex Paterson

Reaction
Hot Topic is not Punk Rock :)

I started skating just before the second explosion of the sport, 1984. I say second explosion because I believe it had flatened out sense its big hay day in the 70's.

I skated every frickin day for 5 years then went back to my Mt. Biking roots (doing that sense 82, still have my 84 Stumpjumper :) )

I think punk rock is not a time period but a frame of mind, I would argee there are a lot of bands lable punk but are not. Like mention Sum 41 and Blink, however I did like Travis Barker (I think) side band Transplants, that was some pretty cool music even if its used now for hair product comercials.

When I was listing to DK they were just putting out FrankinChrist, which I believe would have been there last album and now Jello just does spoken word stuff.

DK was a great bad, its funny, Like Pappawheelie said to see kids today with DK shirts on. You gotta wonder if they have a clue let alone know there music or just Holiday in Combodia.

I gotta say the latter years of High School, for me, were the Cramps, Jesus and Mary Chain, Sex Gang Children, Bauhaus and there off shot bands, etc.

My I-pod, Exploited, Misfits, Cramps, Jesus and Mary Chain, Circle jerks, Pennywise, Agent Orange, Subhumans etc. I try not to limit myself to one style, there is a lot of good music out there. Other I-Pod bands, Tool, Moby, Johnny Cash, Fun Lovin Criminals, Soul Coughing, White Stirpes, Maralyn Manson (he has some good music wheather you like the guy or not) Ace of Spades by Motorhead and then many more.

I wish I still skated but to get back on a board.....well lets just say I would look like a tool!..

Alex

Mark Newhan

Reaction
My step daughter was dressing the part and rocking out to Greenday and Good Charlotte. I was laughing pretty hard when she reffered to herself as hardcore punk. I gave her the DK's, TSOL. She brought them back and had a odd look on her face. I guess she did not like the movements roots'. Just the watered down commercial stuff. Fortunately she out grew it... allthough she listens to the death metal variety now, but at least she dresses normal.

Papawheely, that is a funny story. Seems like all of these kids today, GAWD I sound old, mistaking the feeling of ainst and anger and interpret it as toughness. I think it is hilarious when I see a 5th, 6th or 7th grader with a 24 oz. Monster and a Tapout shirt with all the attitude of a cage fighter.

TLR fab

Reaction
Growing up at the off-road races watching my dad and uncles, I was smothered with glam rock, WEAK, this combined with my skateboarding and bmx era turned me to punk. My idea of punk ranges from Bad Religion to(my fav) to the og like sex pistols and d.k. , love it all! newhan and I are probably too old to be on this thread, you can take the boy out of east county , but , well , you know.

CharlieIII

Reaction
Old school Social D is my fav. I really dug when Mike Ness did his solo thing and covererd a bunch of country tunes. Saw him at the Coachhouse in San Juan Cap., killer show. Rancid is my #2. Besides that I have always (and always will ) love good ol' fashion ska music.