Punk Rock

Reaction
rudimentary peni is some good ol'school punk i dont think anyone mentioned. u can break punk down soo many ways, alot of true punk bands that werent named, u have the 77' era the 82' era. oi, street/chaos, then to me u have underground "pop-y" punk ie.. pretty much all the bands on epitaph, and fat wreck cords. millencollin,nofx,strungout,pennywise,deviates, stuff like that. i was real hardcore into street punk/oi in highschool, to me it doesnt get more "real" or "core" then that. most of the bands live in ny area(not all). ie.. aglobal threat, defiance, lowerclass brats, clit 45, oxymoron,devotchkas, aus rotten, self destruct, the virus bands like that.

TNT race photo

Reaction
this subject came up yesterday at work, one of my younger employees asked what music i was into back in the day,so i showed him some tube videos,he said that ***** is gangster i guess thats a good thing,so I thought i would post afew for you old guys,class of 83 warning some language........I cant beleave i just said that... osh!t im old!

Last edited by a moderator:

Offspring

Reaction
Lux Interior, front man for the groundbreaking punk band The Cramps, died today in a Glendale, Calif., hospital due to complications from a pre-existing heart condition, according to a news release issued by the band's publicist. There are conflicting reports about the singer's real age but IMDB.com lists it as 60.

Lux Interior, born Erick Lee Purkhiser, formed The Cramps in 1972 after meeting Kristy Wallace in Sacramento. The two, who lived in Midtown, shared a love for surf rock, rockabilly, B-movies and other bits of so-called "trash culture."

Interior took his name from an old car commercial, and Wallace, who changed her name to Poison Ivy, attributed her new music moniker to a vision she received in a dream. The couple dubbed its music as "pyschobilly" - taking the term from an old Johnny Cash tune.

The Cramps moved to Ohio in 1973 and, in 1976, migrated to downtown Manhattan where they joined a burgeoning punk scene populated by the likes of the Ramones, Blondie and Television.

The band's 30-plus years on the punk scene spawned 14 albums, a seemingly endless tour schedule and an indelible influence on artists such as the Black Lips, the Reverend Horton Heat and Sacramento's own (now-defunct) Groovie Ghoulies.

Prerunin554

Reaction
I guess its time to chime in...

I started with mainstream "punk" as the radio called it, which was/is fast alternative music. I started finding out who inspired them and have since moved back into punk from 70's and 80's. The Stooges, Agent Orange, Black Flag (the Rollins years), Misfits, Ramones are all tops on my list to name a few. This all actually began when I started playing the guitar and finding influences and styles that were fun to play.

This will be a good thread to hold onto for more bands/music that will eventually end up in the ipod. Thanks for starting this up!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Well I was the lone BMX'er in town. Was never really into music until my late teens...

But it was Pennywise that was always playing being that I am from Hermosa. Bad Religion, Offspring, Face to Face, Rage Against the Machine and Sublime were the ones that "woke me up" in a way and got my blood flowing. I have now become more of a metal head to get my blood boiling.

Slipknot
Old Metallica
Hatebreed
Disturbed
Devildriver
Static X
Five Finger Death Punch
Damageplan
Chimaira
Drowning Pool
Godsmack
Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Powerman 5000
Rob Zombie/ White Zombie
SOIL
Stone Sour
System of a Down
Throwdown

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Never was a huge fan of DK, but the more I listen to them the more I like them. Jello Biafra was one weird guy.

VORRA-BJ

Reaction
awww man ive been waiting for a post like this. Grew up racing BMX untill i at age 14 my parents made me choose between BMX and Racing racing off road. Sucks to because i had just got sponsered with Mongoose and I was #13 in my age group in the state. As far as music goes it was all classic rock in those days with my parents and there friends. Today punk and ska is my life, I go to at least 2 shows a month. Off the top of my head NOFX, Pennywise, Anti flag, black flag, me first and the gimme gimme's. the desendents, Smoke, Arden park roots, A.D.D., The Lesdistics, And my personal favorite The MAD CADDIES!!!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Punk Rock died long before Op Ivy (actually a Ska band) and Social D (more rockabilly than anything) were formed. True Punk Rock included: The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop. True Punk Rock was gone by 1980.

I would have to agree with that. I grew up on punk. Lots of old punk bands at keg parties out in the middle of the dez till the cops would show up. Everybody would make a mad scramble to leave!

Goober

Reaction
Ramones, Sex Pistols, and the Clash were classic punk. But even the newer stuff is pretty good. Anything from Nerf Herder to Agnostic Front.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Wow, check this out! How ironic...We were all just talking about this guy.....
Cramps founder and punk pioneer Lux Interior dies

Print By ANDREW DALTON, Associated Press Writer Andrew Dalton, Associated Press Writer – Thu Feb 5, 10:29 am ET AFP/Getty Images/File – Lux Interior, the singer and founding member of pyschobilly rock band "The Cramps," seen here … LOS ANGELES – Lux Interior, co-founder and lead singer of the pioneering horror-punk band the Cramps, has died, the group's publicist said. He was 60.

Interior — whose real name was Erick Lee Purkhiser — died Wednesday of a pre-existing heart condition at a hospital in Glendale, Calif., publicist Aleix Martinez said in a statement.

Interior met his future wife Kristy Wallace — who would later take the stage name Poison Ivy — in Sacramento in 1972.

The pair moved to New York and started the Cramps with Interior on lead vocals and Ivy on guitar. The group was a part of the late `70s early punk scene centered at Manhattan clubs like CBGB, alongside acts like the Ramones and Patti Smith.

Their unmistakable sound was a lo-fi synthesis of rockabilly and surf guitar staged with a deviant dose of midnight-movie camp. Some called it "psychobilly."

The pale, tall, gaunt Interior appeared shirtless with black hair and tiny, low-slung black pants, looking part zombie, part Elvis Presley as he crawled, writhed and howled his way across the stage.

The group had the raw intensity of punk, but took the music in new directions by incorporating theatrical elements, often horror-themed, in songs like "I Was a Teenage Werewolf" and "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns." Their breakthrough debut EP was 1979's "Gravest Hits."

The band made a notorious appearance at a California mental institution, Napa State Hospital, in 1978. The performance, whose video is still popular on YouTube, was a punk-era echo of the Folsom Prison concert of Johnny Cash, one of the band's influences.

Interior was widely rumored in 1987 to have died from a heroin overdose, and his wife received flowers and funeral wreaths.

"At first I thought it was kind of funny," he told the Los Angeles Times at the time. "But then it started to give me a creepy feeling."

The Cramps' lineup changed often through the decades but Interior and Ivy remained the center. Their bluesy, trebly sound — the group didn't have a bass guitarist — resonates in modern minimalist groups like the White Stripes and the Black Lips.

The band's last release was the 2004 rarities collection "How to Make a Monster." They were still touring as recently as last November.

steviegnsc

Reaction
Wow, check this out! How ironic...We were all just talking about this guy.....

VVVVVHe probably read thisVVVVV:D:D:D:D

I was a punk in the late 70's. I surfed and skated. I still listen today. A couple months ago I was leaving best buy and some kids that were all dressed punk were hangin out and gave me dirty dgaf looks when I walked by. I drove past them on my way out with dead kennedys cranked and flipped em off. POSERS. LOL

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
LOL, I crack up when I hear that old music cranking out of someones car.

mrmatt

Reaction
I was a punk in the late 70's. I surfed and skated. I still listen today. A couple months ago I was leaving best buy and some kids that were all dressed punk were hangin out and gave me dirty dgaf looks when I walked by. I drove past them on my way out with dead kennedys cranked and flipped em off. POSERS. LOL

That is awesome! I always loved meeting guys who were from the good punk rock days! It is awesome to see a kid with a bondage belt, leather jacket, saftey pins and blasting Blink-182 wanting to start a mosh pit!:p

Being that I am a product of the eighties my punk influence came from first hearing SD on the radio, then after hearing that thought I should by some of their other albums (i.e. "Mommy's Little Monster"). When I heard "telling them" I was hooked!! Even today there are very few bands that came any later than the early eighties to be found on my stereo. I don't really listen to the radio. I like what I like and I dont like alot of what comes out on the radio anymore. Speaking of Blink-182...Did anyone else go to the KROQ INland Invasion about 6 years ago when TSOL, GBH, Circle Jerks, Social D, Bad Religion, etc...played? It was hiliarious because on the main stage they decided to put blink-182 between Pennywise (incredible live show!!) and Bad Religion. The beer stands were the busiest they had been all day for that 40min!

Alex Paterson

Reaction
I had a picture of Lux Interior in my HS locker. Lux had his tight leather pants on with his hand down them somewhere in the weiner region and this stoner check next to me saw it. She asked me if I was "some kind of F*@#k$ing Fa$G%t" I looked at her, closed my locker and walked away....

The Cramps were it for my in HS, I still have a few of the t-shirts. Whats funny is most people never really knew what kind of music they sang, I really don't consider them a punk band, they are in a world of there own and only a few bands I would consider similar with one of them being Alien Sex Fiend.

I was a skater all through HS and am thankful I listened to the music I did because I think it teaches you to not follow the norm but to go out and be your own person. I am also finding the older I get the more I am listing to music from my generation.

My two i-pod favs right now are Adolescents, Kids of the Black Hole and Minor Threat, Minor Threat....

-Alex

TNT race photo

Reaction
dont let the hair fool ya This is punk
[video=youtube;OM9b3uUQ2zI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-HR3R72hc&feature=related"]YouTube - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - "Chinese Rocks"[/url] YouTube - new york dolls [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9b3uUQ2zI&feature=related[/video]

Stimpy

Reaction
Whats really great is dropping off my 16 year old to high school. Rolling up in my Rock Crawler jeep blasting Agent Orange and having people ask her if I'm her older brother? I love the looks are there faces when she replys back," Nope thats my POPs!"

Surfer
Skater
BMX
Moto X
Snowboarder
Desert Racer
Cool Father

Bones53b

Reaction
I love Punk been listening to it for years, Desendants, DK, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Dead Milkmen, Deviates, The Monster Squad(great band outta parker), Diverged, Illusive, Suicidal, Down By Law,88 fingers louie(thanks Dezert people), H2O, MILLENCOLIN, Me First and the Gimme Gimmies way to many to list but good times... People around Havasu area there is a show Feb 22nd...
Look up the Atrocities on Myspace local parker band (all my buddies since kindergarden) they try getting better...

I was into BMX and skating for a while...
Greetings,
If you were talking about the “Desendants”
from Wa. as on killed by death 10# ?
New releases:
2019-Lost Recordings 1978/4 song ep
Lathe cut, square, hand numbered, signed,
Limited to 40
2020-16 Tracks “Desendants “ Stabbed In The Head-The Lost Years 1978-79
2020- upcoming 4/Ep