Pussification Of Baja

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
We used to be able to prerun the Mint (the original Mint) and used a "lot" of creative lines. Just sayin....

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
They don't make themselves!!!
And now you know why making your own new lines anywhere you like is not allowed in USA.....I totally disagree with your methods....anything to win is NOT OK....

Robin Hood

Reaction
I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't change Baja racing for the worse by making it easy so everyone can make it. You can make the sport safer with new technology's without loosing it's heritage.

So some change is ok but other change is not, which is it?

Baja is not the same as is was 50 years ago or 10 years ago and everyone has a different idea as to what change is good and bad. Technology makes it safer and easier as the same time.

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
At the SF250 this year, you could tell who did their prerunning and planning in the spot we were at. There was a Virtual CP right at the beginning of the corner. Some hit the VCP and continued around the corner. Others hit the VCP and went straight, right up and over the berm, to intersect the course a little farther down. That's what Baja racing is about. Finding the best line.
Remember that the first Baja 1000 was a start here and finish there. See you at the finish line

wayne matlock

Reaction
And now you know why making your own new lines anywhere you like is not allowed in USA.....I totally disagree with your methods....anything to win is NOT OK....

My Methods?????? Come on Pete I'm not talking about cutting through a farmers field or destroying someones property by taking down a fence. I am talking about making good lines down sand washes or across the desert floor when going from point A to point B, not running through someones front yard!!!
Are you telling me that you have never made your own line down a wash or across the desert in Baja?

I definitely don't race with an "anything to win attitude". Don't be so quick to put words in my mouth and judge me for something I haven't done.

mgobaja

Reaction
Has the heat been worse in Baja for the 500, than it has been for Vegas to Reno, or back when SCORE had the Henderson Race in August ?

Ben77

Reaction
Has the heat been worse in Baja for the 500, than it has been for Vegas to Reno, or back when SCORE had the Henderson Race in August ?

I Think the worse one was the Imperial Valley desert challenge.

Two years ago i believe is when we had the heat wave. It was 115 in Ojos.

To the OP, the whiners will eventually stop going to Baja..

Rock56

Reaction
it was actually 120 in el saldaña we had to put the phones and electronics in the ice chest because it was 120 in the shade

200MPHTape

Reaction
Like the great Corky McMillin said "In Baja, if you are going to be dumb, you better be tough"

I commented in the Baja 500 thread about the course location because I think it is sad that the San Felipe area has been in the last two Baja 500's and there are plenty of other great racing areas to use that have not seen much use the last couple of years.

The heat is a pain in the butt. I think it was back in 06, but the heat at Rancho Coyote was 103, that it is just part of racing. If you can't handle it, go take up bowling. If you want to race in Baja you better be prepared for whatever they throw at you. What does suck is when the course is routed in a way that teams time out while waiting for others to climb a hill in front of them. I know many remember Simpson's in 05, I believe. And then in 07 they re-routed the course a couple of days ahead of the race south of Melling because it was going to be the same scenario. I think changes like that make sense.
That year 500(06) my section was from Santa Cantarina-Coyote Ranch, it was for sure warm, I remember some one saying it was 115 in VT when I went through, I wore 2 camel backs and used up both, just after leaving Mike's I needed to pee but didn't have a piss tube and didn't want to fill my boot with pee so I held it to Coyote.

Dhigbee

Reaction
I grew up going to Baja and listening to stores of Baja races as a kid. listening to all the stories I was fascinated by the adventures and by the struggles. Baja was a place that seemed like the wild west where the men that raced it were tough. It was a place that was harsh, and the races even harsher. I looked up to men like LR, Bruce O, Malcolm Smith and even my father. In my eyes they were the cowboys trying to tame the wild west.
It was racing where men tried to out smart each other and the Baja at the same time. The rules were a little loose, and that is what attracted the men that raced the Baja.
Now I sit here reading about guys complaining. The stories of adventure and the struggles are replaced by guys saying it's to hard, it's to hot, it's not safe, it's not fair.
In none of the stories I heard as a kid did my father or his buddy's ever talk about perfect weather, how safe it was, or how fair it was.

It's Baja!!! it's not perfect, it's not safe, it's definitely not fair, and it's not supposed to be. Stop trying to pussifie it and make it easy so everyone can do it. Because those stories will suck to tell to your kid
Well Said Wayne!

az_amsoil

Reaction
I always loved Dave Cole's thoughts on the King of the Hammers, "If three finish it was the perfect race"...if it was easy everyone would do it! Viva la Baja

ACME

Reaction
What happened to the course width rule? I looked online at the new rule '18 book and I could not find a reference to any course width rule?

The OG/back in the day understood rule was 50-100' on either side of the main marked course unless in a sensitive area. That was omitted in my '87/88 SCORE/HDRA joint rule book and the last printed variety I have from a few years ago does not mention it?

I agree with Wayne that it needs to kept it open as much as possible and homework is part of the game. But I also agree with Pete that making "new lines" when multiples exist and continuing to widen areas to create bigger advantages has to stop at some point as it's pushing the spirit of the sport. Is it okay to get "creative and turn a 250 mile course into a 240? 500 into 473 as long as you hit the VCP's?

Finding a better line is one thing: Burning one a wash over or running a ridge above a silt/whooped wash for 4 miles off the known racing line seems to push the spirit of the sport a little beyond what I was originally taught and the original freedom that was allowed.

We have to draw the line somewhere as the sport and Baja have evolved and if we don't, the sport may become a casualty of the new era... Having trucks driving all over the place within 1/4 mile of each other, in a known spectator areas is not wise. To me a known main line with a known width foot print seems wise and allows some creativity. In areas like Ojos, Borrego, Zoo Road area and others where they know there will be spectator concerns, SCORE needs to make the call and stay on a line a certain width, make it known and let them run.

Accidents happen and they are just that, accidents. Having no plan to at least improve control in the hot spots is another issue and a SCORE allowing them to run all over an area where they know it will be a problem unacceptable IMO.

People that choose to be stupid cannot be controlled, but allowing racers to be "Overly Creative" with lines or excessive freedom in certain areas that could exacerbate or create additional issues should be controlled to help secure the sports future.

Pete made a great comment: You have a race line and you know everyone will be there. The parents send the kids out back on an ATC or pitbike away from the known course to play. The sport simply cannot afford open creativity in an area like that.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
It's not difficult. More VCP's in sensitive areas and more speed zones in highly populated areas. Problem solved.

Stub cans? LOL.

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
Open face helmets only and no pumpers either, you sissies!

You Mad Bro

Reaction

Attachments

• IMG_5865.JPG
    IMG_5865.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 246