QD Steering Wheel releases

ntsqd

I'm doing a little market research with this. At work I've been tasked with looking at a new design. Some of the details are fixed and I have some ideas of my own, but I want to know if they are valid.
Those of you that have removable steering wheels, what are the good and bad points of the design of the release you have ? Does it wobble excessively ? Excessive backlash ? Will it go on in any place that the splines line up or does it only go on one way, and is that good or bad ? What brand of release do you have ?

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

TRDshaunTRD

I have a shroeder engineering quick release. It can be put on anywhere the splines meet up. It wobbles a slight-slight bit, and does not affect me while driving. It is easy to take off but more difficult to put back on because you have to have it lined up perfectly to get on. I don't think that I would mind if was only able to go on one way so that you don't put it on crooked, but then when putting the spline on the steering column, you would have to be more precise when lining it up in the column. Also, quick release is not street legal. It has to have a lock and key in order to be street legal. Momo makes these. One thing that would be nice would be if there were ways to incorporate the wires for a horn into the release so that you don’t have to have wires on the outside of the hub that you have release as well.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
The Sparco wheel I have the wires go straight down the hub. A contact on the hub and then a contact coming off the column would be slick so that they are completely separate when removed. Ford does this with their CC and horn controls

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

TRDshaunTRD

I know of a lot od companies that do it, but none of then do it if they are removable. Is yours removable?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
On the race truck it is...same wheel

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

ntsqd

This is to be a pure race type QD. If you want horn or CC buttons in the wheel you're on your own. The removable piece will have the industry std 3 bolt B.C. I know that MW sells a version of theirs that will allow a Grant 5 bolt wheel to bolt directly to it. I doubt we will offer that option.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

TRDshaunTRD

its easy to have an adapter for other bolt patterns