Quad wars

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I know this subject has been talked about before but i cant seem to find much about the subject i guess im just computer iliterate. I want to buy a quad soon. I want to be able to take it out to ocatillo and have fun in the whoops and roads and then i want to be able to go out to glamis the next weekend and be able to rip up the dunes. Right now im thinking of either a banshee or a raptor. I want to just have to change the rims and tires to go in the sand or dirt. what do you people think? i dont want to spend much more then the amount araptor costs either.

Gregg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Go with the Raptor. Very good bike and unlike all the 2 stokes that try to keep up you can ride it year round.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

desertratt

Reaction
i would go with the raptor as well. its cheaper to build. a banshee will cost double for every thing. 2 pipes, 2 carbs, ect.... they may be fast but they are out dated. a banshee hasn't changed since 87 when they frist came out. except may be the colors.

drive fast and take chances!!

Kbach66

Reaction
Outdated isn't always a bad thing.....look at the fourtrax 250R. They were built from 85-89 (I'm pretty sure) but are still one of the most popular race bikes in quad racing today! Theres just nothing like riding a well built race prepped 250R!!
The raptor is nice, but the twitchy hanling isn't much fun at speeds in the dezert.
Just my .02

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
If you have the cash or can swing a deal witn an owner, the 86,88 and 89 Honda TRX250r is the best qiuad to have.

For new quads, the Suzuki LTZ400 is the hot ticket. It handles a lot like the 250r.

Stay away from raptors. They break frequently when ridden hard and handle poorly as they are top heavy and have a narrow rear track.

I have owned or have had possesion of all the above.

PJCinLV

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
thats the quad i really really wantr but i dont have the money up front so i need to finace something for a little while but a TRX250r would be the quad i would get if i had the money.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
SO you are going to drop 6000 before interest instead of 2500? I would save up and get the oldschool fourtrax

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I'm pretty biased to my Honda 400ex. It doesn't have as much top speed as the Raptor but I like its handling better. Never had any problems with it and there are plenty of aftermarket parts for it. If money is an issue I would go with a 250r.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Go green, Having riden all the hondas, yamahas, suzukis. The best handling and motor wise in stock form is the tacate 4. Haven't been on the new suz. 400 yet though.

Kbach66

Reaction
The new suzuki 400 takes most of the good traits of the Honda 400EX, and adds quite a few other good things like power and suspension character. The biggest problem with Suzuki is quality. They're notorious for being one of the worst built machines, poor welds, weak castings, cheap fasteners, etc.

You might want to look into the Suzuki if you want something newer though.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Kris,
you find me that 250r for $2500 and i would rather do that. Last time i looked at the cycle trader they were going for $3000 plus. And if im gonna spend that id rather have something new. Any one know anything about the cannondale? i know its alot of money but it seems to be an awsome bike .no good news about the banshee?

Gregg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I''ll leep my eyes peeled. Saw one in the recycler recently with paddles ready to rock for 2500 thats why I said that price.

Kris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Found this in 2 minutes

626-337-8502

86 Honda Fourtrax Great condition, low hours, all original 2800 OBO

THis guy is in Baldwin Park. Sounds like a killer deal becaue nobody has meesed with the engine...reliable...

I would not pay more then 3000 for one of the older fourtrax. I would buy a bone stock one (a wife's bike) and go from there. THe people asking more then that have done way too much to the bikes and that is what you wnat to avoid unless you are looking o be wrenching on it often....kinda like a stock truck vs prerunner...keep it stock and it's has no problems, start modiyfying and you lose relaibility.

Kris

Kbach66

Reaction
The Cannondales are getting better. We had one at work that ran good for about 5 hours, then decided to stop running. Spark, no start....sat at the dealer for 5 months. They replaced every electrical part, and still couldnt find the problem. Checked timing, compression....etc. Finally C-dale sent them a new engine and ECU and it finally ran! We haven't ridden it yet...it's getting sold before it breaks! As for the new model...the '02. It's much better than previous, but still has problems. Handling is good, sus is decent but needs some work, but the motor sounds horrible. You swear that you forgot to put oil in it from listening to it. But they do rip...our old one, with the original '01 motor radared at 73mph on a dirt road....bone stock!

Bryan_D

Reaction
If you go on cycletrader.com and type 250r from 86-89 there are alot of them. You can find one nation wide and have it shipped, I think they even say they can help you finance one. Good luck