Quads and helmets?

BGRANT

Reaction
I don't know what it is about most of the people I see here in Utrah riding quads, but most don't wear helmets. I grew up in So Cal riding Ocotillo, Mex and Glamis once in a while. Everbody always wears helmets, even before the law mandated it. Sure, once in a while there was the ocasional ass hat that ripped around without a helmet, especialy at places like Palm Ave., but for the most part people wore helmets.
Since I moved to Utah I always see people on quads riding without helmets. It doesn't matter where I go, at least 90% of the people on quads I see are without helmets and most of them are on those giant utility quads that weigh a ton. At least twice a week there is an article in the paper or the news about some kind of ATV accident where the people were severely injured or killed and they didn't have a helmet on. A local congress man was just killed and last weekend the daughter of the mayor from my nieghboring town was almost killed when her and a boy friend hit a tree. Multiple skull fractures among other things. Her dad even admitted that she probably didn't want to mess up her hair because she was on a date and he hasn't been a good influence since he doesn't wear a helmet. My riding buddies and I think that there is some unwritten law that says you have to turn in your helmet when you by a quad in the state of Utard.
Sorry for the long rant but it blows my mind how many people are that stupid.

RacerX1

Reaction
Racers wear helmets, even if just cruising around. We know the risks, always. We might be in tennis shoes, but at least we're wearing the helmet!

People think that quads are "safe" because of the 4 wheels. And it is much different in those other states like Utah and AZ. We notice the same thing at all the out of state races we go to - people screaming by with no helmet. I just don't think things are enforced in other places like they are here in Cali (or so it seems). I've seen racers get tickets from the BLM from riding from the pit area over to the sign-up area (a few hundred yards) for not wearing a helmet at our local desert races here.

It usually takes something bad to happen to these people before they realize they should wear the bucket.

captainuno

Reaction
I think this saying fits this topic perfectly, "You can't fix stupid".

miguelitro

Reaction
I often see the older folk on the ute quads cruising with no helmet, they dont go fast take risks(besides not wearing a helmet), and are jsut kinda sight seeing. i dont have a problem with that. but to get on a quad and go fast with out one on is just plain stupid. Captain- the obituaries would disagree with you statement. That kind of stupidity happens to get fixed at an alarming rate.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
We have the same mentality here in Tx. I cant tell you how many people on quads, mainly Ute quads, dont wear them. I guess when they are riding in the water and mud it makes them feel safe. Offer them a life preserver i suppose. Its very frustrating for the rest of us that see this and when an accident happens they blame the quad or dirt bike.

200MPHTape

Reaction
I don't know what it is about most of the people I see here in Utrah riding quads, but most don't wear helmets. I grew up in So Cal riding Ocotillo, Mex and Glamis once in a while. Everbody always wears helmets, even before the law mandated it. Sure, once in a while there was the ocasional ass hat that ripped around without a helmet, especialy at places like Palm Ave., but for the most part people wore helmets.
Since I moved to Utah I always see people on quads riding without helmets. It doesn't matter where I go, at least 90% of the people on quads I see are without helmets and most of them are on those giant utility quads that weigh a ton. At least twice a week there is an article in the paper or the news about some kind of ATV accident where the people were severely injured or killed and they didn't have a helmet on. A local congress man was just killed and last weekend the daughter of the mayor from my nieghboring town was almost killed when her and a boy friend hit a tree. Multiple skull fractures among other things. Her dad even admitted that she probably didn't want to mess up her hair because she was on a date and he hasn't been a good influence since he doesn't wear a helmet. My riding buddies and I think that there is some unwritten law that says you have to turn in your helmet when you by a quad in the state of Utard.
Sorry for the long rant but it blows my mind how many people are that stupid.

My brother lives in Beaver, and he says they have no respect for the land also, along with their quads! Says he see's them leave them in the weather during the winter and wonder why they can't get them to start come spring? He even told me about some of the teenagers getting DUI's on quads, they ride down the street gathering their friends go drinking and riding, some Mormons? He told me there are some that buy new ones every year, that's their maintenance program.

BGRANT

Reaction
I often see the older folk on the ute quads cruising with no helmet, they dont go fast take risks(besides not wearing a helmet), and are jsut kinda sight seeing. i dont have a problem with that. but to get on a quad and go fast with out one on is just plain stupid. Captain- the obituaries would disagree with you statement. That kind of stupidity happens to get fixed at an alarming rate.

The problem is they go to climb "that there hill over yonder" and the 600 lb. utility quad flips and squashes their mellon.

Brice

Reaction
Helmets are dumb!

vetracer

Reaction
This is a rampant problem everywhere. I was at a state owned offroad park ovr mem holiday and virtually no one on a kwad wore a helmet. Lots were on race kwads with no helmets and doing more stupid S--t than I would do on my bike ...with a lid. Lots were also riding 2 and 3 up and no helmets. I have had a lifetime rule and I'm anal about it..that is no one rides with me without a helmet and I don't ride with anyone that doesn't wear a helmet. I don't care what else they have or don't have but a lid is a MUST.

The recent cpsc lead law hasn't helped this matter any either. But that's another story!

End of rant for now.

Robert

5RsCA

Reaction
One time before all the developement at Palm ave in SD there was a guy in a odessy that made a u turn in front of a guy on a xr6?? The xr couldn't stop in time, and the front fender hit the oddessy guys head and scooped out the side of his head. Lifeflite showed up didn't land where they watered down the area and dusted the guy. It was a bad deal the dude died. Could have been avoided w/ the use of a helmet. Miss that place....even tho alot of not so good stuff happened there.

dbphotos

Reaction
I've always required me and my familyt wear helmets, now I require everyone to wear Leatt's as well. The safety equipment was developed for a reason, why not use them. If you can't afford proper safety attire you can't afford the hobby.