Quads?

michael_loomis

looking for peoples opinions on the quad market these days. I really like the Suzuki LTZ400....thinking about selling my CR250 to get one , but i really want to know if Honda is coming out with a watercooled quad soon? hopefully something along the lines of the crf450 motor. any insider info ?

Tim

The z400's are pretty sick. A couple of people have bent axles and bent frames pretty easily though. I personally dont think that you can go wrong with a 400ex. Tim

elcaprerunner

I don't know about a Honda quad with 450 motor in it. Did you see the cover of Dirt Wheels, I don't know which one it is, at least 5 months ago? On the cover was a Honda 750cc 4 stroke with an OPTIONAL TURBO!!!!!! They dynoed it with the turbo and it put out 109HP stock! Now that is a bitchen quad! I am pretty sure these quads will come into production soon but I don't know if they will be offering the turbo even as an option. The new Honda waverunners have turboed 1450cc motors in them, put that in an old 250r frame and you would have the fastest quad there is. Another sweet one that will be coming out soon hopefully is the Polaris Predator. A water-cooled 500cc 4 stroke with Fox coilover/reseviors and 10" of travel and in the back a Fox coilover/resevior in the back with 12" of travel, and it has A-arms in the front. There is an article on it in last months Sand Sports. I know nobody likes Polarises but I don't think 75% of people who ride have ever rode them. I ride a '93 250cc 2 stroke, it is not the fastest thing but it is THE most durable, reliable quad there is. Trust me! Mine is 100% stock and I am jumping as far and farther as my friends with Banshees (with full suspension work done) and dirtbikes(and mine has strut front suspension). I have owned it since it was new and put it through some pretty heavy abuse and it has held up. I have now finally blown the rear shock, it still soaks but it bottoms easier off jumps. That thing will run forever, it even still has the stock GoodYear knobbies in the front, they are bald but by the way it handles you would never know. I have never had any complaints with it accept it is not very fast. Also we just bought a 2001 Polaris TrailBlazer and it comes stock with a Bilstein coilover in the back.

P.S. Does anyone know a place where I can pick up a new rear shock for my Polaris? I want to put one of the Fox coilover/resevior shock off the back of a Scrambler 400 or 500 on mine. I am thinking I should look at cycle salvage place for a wrecked one and take the shock off of that. Or do you think I could buy brand new a replacement for a Scrambler and put it on mine? Does anyone know any places?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

pjc

Chairman
My favorite quad is the Honda TRX 250r. Not built since 1989 but still the best ride. If you can find a nice one get it.

The new Suzuki 400 is the closest handling quad to the 250r on the market.

If you ride in rocky terrain, plan on changing the skid plates on the 400 immediately. Otherwise it's a great ride.

PJCinLV

cleartoy

Find out the extended and compressed lengths of your shock and the one you want. If it doesnt match, contact FOX and see what they have available.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

SJP12

The only thing quads are good for is working around the farm, Stay on 2 wheels:)

If youve never been scared your going to slow

mxjeremy

I have a buddy selling his 89 trx with a bunch of extras. It is built to the hilt too. I'll have him put it in the classifieds, PM me if you want more info sooner. My advice would be to keep the cr250 AND buy a quad. In reality you need about 8 different motorcycles to fully cover the gambit. I'm currently working for my 4th.
late.

Bryan_D

I do also. Its a 88 250r with arms shocks and the whole bit for like 4800.00. Its really sweet if I had the $ I would buy it. Didnt the first person say they already had a 250r though??

michael_loomis

i do really want to keep my CR....but its not as much fun as a quad in glamis. i dont have a light and riding in someone elses light sux. a good lighting set up costs more than my bike's worth. jeremy your right about having 8 bikes!!!

the 4cyl 750 turbo quad was an april fools joke ....although they do really make the aquatrax its a 1.2 liter though and has a turbo .

elcaprerunner

Oh, I didn't buy the mag I was just reading it in Stater Bros. and had to leave before I could finsish reading....lol Kinda like last year for April fools when they showed that guy doing backflips on his 250r........ya right, but it didn't say April fools until the end of the article so I missed it on this years, ya think I would have figured it out though ha....lol

The nice thing about quads is you can get a set of almost any set of 2 popular tires with Douglas aluminum rims for around $180 vs. a dirtbike where it is $500 just for one rim.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

Vtr_Racing

Honda, I have heard from a good source, is supposed to come out with a TRX 450f or whatever they are gonna call it in sept of 2003 for the 2004 model year. Now thats gonna be a bad ass quad. As far as staying on 2 wheels, I havent had too much trouble roosting bikes at all. Bikes and quads are 2 different machines and both are just as fun.....

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Speed Safely</A>