Qualifying for Laughlin

JasonHutter

Reaction
Just saw this on the SCORE site. It's true.

URGENT SPECIAL NOTICE
January 14, 2003
URGENT SPECIAL NOTICE
SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge Qualifying
Class 1 & Class 10

· Qualifying for official starting positions in Class 1 and Class 10 for Saturday will be held Friday for all entries in these respective classes.
· Staging will be at 2 p.m. for the 2:15 p.m. start of qualifying. Entries must be in race configuration (as entered for the race) and all vehicles must display the numbers listed from the SCORE drawing for the entire race.
· Qualifying order will be the numerical order from the race drawing.
· Qualifying will be one lap around the stadium, infield portion of the race course from the start/finish line to the pit road cross-over. Distance of one mile.
· Saturday’s starting order for qualifiers will be based on fastest official qualifying time.
· Those not wishing to qualify for a starting position will start on Saturday after the qualifiers in the numerical order from the drawing.
· Sunday’s starting order will remain the same as all other classes-the order of finish from Saturday.

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
It is amazing to me how irresponsible Sal Fish is. I called and e-mailed him the day after the drawing asking him to tell me whether or not he was actually going to have qualifying for this event. I had to do this because he was unable (unwilling?) to tell everyone if he was going to do it or not. He did not, and has still not, responded to me.

It was our intention to not run if SCORE was going to have qualifying. First, because the race was never billed as a qualifying event. It was only after the drawing that he decided we "MAY" have to qualify.

Secondly, I do not feel that ripping around a stadium style course will make it more safe on the race course. In fact, it will do just the opposite. The infield section will favor lower, light, mid-enging cars. Historically at Laughlin, these are not the fastest vehicles (I am not referring to finish position, rather I am referring to sheer on-course speed). This means that vehicles like Lugo (103) and Herbst (107) will likely be farther back in the pack than they are now, thus they will have to go through more vehicles in the fast sections of the race. If we are going to qualify, at least make it a full lap.

Since Sal did not respond, we had to make a commitment to the event. This means we had to put up about $10,000 in hotel and travel costs for our team, which we are now unable to recover. If Sal had done the respectable thing in not changing the event, or at least returning my call or letter, we would not be out this money.

Hey, since there seems to be some attorneys on this board, does anyone want to take my case against Sal for the $10,000 I am now out?

Seriously though, we are in a position to either lose $10,000 or go to the race, so we will be going. Just promise me that anyone reading this who will be watching during this qualifying crap will get drunk as hell so at least someone is enjoying it!

See you all in Laughlin.

pciscott

Reaction
Mark you have not got robbed of the front row yet, I know you are a very fast driver and I will be rooting for you. I would advise those of you who are in 1 and 10 to do the practice lap in the race car to get used to the track. Again glad to hear you are still running Mark even though you lost your front row guarantee. One last thing Mark, where are you staying for $10,000 bucks? I have 20 rooms at the Ramada Express that were less than $2500 for three days. All though I will not be drunk I will be watching, good luck to all!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Mark,
I don't think your giving your vehicle enough credit or your driving ability. If I remember correctly, Troy Herbst got smoked off the line by Dale Dondel in a 6 cylinder Chevy and held that lead for a couple laps, then there was the time back in the mid 80's when Rob MacCachren started behind 20 class 1's and 30 class 10's at the Fireworks 250 and was the 2nd car through after the first lap. My point is, I doesn't mater where you start, if you have the car and the ability, nobody will stand in your way.
I understand your point with the decision made by Sal and SCORE but I also think it was made for the better of the sport.....and that I am behind 110% regardless of if the decision was made AFTER the drawing. Honest question, would you have made that big of a deal out of it if you started 25th? Don't take that the wrong way Mark, we hope to see you out there giving the other class 1 guys hell this weekend. JUST HAVE FUN.

Racers Only

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
All you have to do is get everyone to not qualify and then the starting positions will be based off of the drawing. This will be the hard if not impossible, but it will be a way to show Sal how upset the drivers are on the lack of notice for the new qualifying policy. Good Luck and the chances are that you will be up front anyway.

nobrakes

Reaction
what about primm?dosen't it have a infeild section? will you have to qualify there too? only time will tell.

martininsocal

Reaction
Mark is right...What if someone shows up with a shortcourse car and sets the fastest qualifying time? Does that mean that is the fastest car? Another issue, it says race set-up...do you have to carry spares, full fuel, etc... to qualify? Will teams be packing their CV's with vaseline for qualifying then repacking for the race Friday Night? When the grooves get deep after the first few cars, will the track be groomed or will the resulting rollovers be given some cash and extra time to fix things before the RACE starts Saturday? Just seems like the wrong time to change everything.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
Rory,

I understand and appreciate your question. Yes, if I started 25th I would still be upset. This is more a principal issue than anything. If someone buys a shirt design from you, you give them the one they wanted, especially if you have already received their money. The timing of this thing was just ridiculous and in all likelihood was not very well thought out. Martin has some very valid points in his post, for example, that Sal has probably not even thought of.

I am not concerned about Gary or my driving ability or the performance of our car. What I am worried about is having high hp vehicles being handicapped during qualifying, when the actual race course favors them. I would anticipate more than one "Racing Incident" due to this fact.

Not to mention the fact that many people still do not know they have to qualify at 2:15p on Friday. They are still going on the premise that they have until 5:00p on Friday to get registered and inspected. Think about it, if you don't have a computer and don't get onto this site or the SCORE site, you still would not know. What happens to them?

Regarding this issue with "Race Trim" vehicles, well that is simply not going to be the case everywhere. Larger teams will likely change shocks, transmissions, wheels, tire grooves, etc. for the qualifying section, then change back before the race. I know we are considering it. There are simply too many things that the larger budget teams can do to modify their vehicles to pursue an advantage. This is not a bash here, but SCORE does not have the technology or personnel to adequately ensure all vehicles are the same during qualifying and the race.

I am not against qualifying, but we should have known about it before race week and the format should have been thought out better.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Mark,

Point taken. Still hope to see you out there.......tomorrow is coming up FAST!!!

Racers Only

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
Actually, it was a BLM & Insurance issue. BLM found out about Sal's plan and told him that his permit did not allow any type of on-course competition for Friday. Qualifying obviously falls under this category, so he was not allowed to do it. Similar story on the insurance.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The idea of qualifying came up AFTER the start position has been drawn. So someone that had a good draw now would have to jeapordize his position in a shootout for the pole....Perhaps if there is now drawing next year we might have qualifying.

In my opinion qualifying would make for yet another great show at an awesome event.

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
I would agree with you, as long as the qualifying was 1 full lap for each vehicle. He could do that instead of allowing course reconnaissance.