Question about the "right" steel for cages and suspension

Breth

Reaction
Hey all!

What steel you guys using when fabricate spindles, upper/lower control arms and bedcages?

I saw a few builts where they using chromoly for the suspension. Thats only because you can built it lighter?

Do somebody use stainless steel? Because cages dont rust then?

Is it because stainless is to expensive or isn`t it strong enought??

Best regards Sascha

Wild bill

Reaction
4130N for any suspension component. 4130 is best overall for tensile strength, weldablility, ande fatiguability.

Triaged

Reaction
Because you are in Europe you might want to look into 1.7734/15CDV6 which is available in sheet and tube form. It isn't cheap (about 25 euros/kg a couple years ago) but from what I understand neither is SAE4140 over there.
http://www.heggemann.de/en/trading.html

What are you building?

Breth

Reaction
Thanx for youre answers!

So im looking to built a bedcage with bumper and stuff. So here in europe we have a lot of rain. So thats why im thinking to use stainless-steel, because i dont wanna powdercote the stuff.

I also wanna built some upper controlarms. Do you guys think stainless steel is not strong enough? I dont wanna go hit 40meter Jumps, its more a suspenion-lift.

Regards

Breth

Reaction
A, i forgot: What tube-diameter you guys normaly use for the bedcages?

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Thanx for youre answers!

So im looking to built a bedcage with bumper and stuff. So here in europe we have a lot of rain. So thats why im thinking to use stainless-steel, because i dont wanna powdercote the stuff.

I also wanna built some upper controlarms. Do you guys think stainless steel is not strong enough? I dont wanna go hit 40meter Jumps, its more a suspenion-lift.

Regards
FWIW, I've had good luck with Dupli-color's clear primer. Turns the metal black and keeps it from rusting. And you can touch-up areas without having to mask everything off.

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
People don't use stainless because for one reason it is really heavy. Also, if you keep chromoly oiled it does have some rust inhibiting properties. For a bed cage I would use 1.5 in a small truck and 1.75 in a fullsize.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Stainless is too soft (& heavy). It has no "memory." Meaning once
it bends, it stays bent. 4130/4340 is a lot harder/tougher, will bend some before it brakes, and
has a "memory."
Spindles, axles, etc. 300M if you can find it. Basically it's vaccum melted 4130.