Question for IRI-TRACK

mawtrophykart

Reaction
How often are your trackers calibrated for speed? How do you calibrate an iritrack?With satellite GPS deviation of + or - 5 miles an hour and having a position deviation also, how do you compensate for variance? What is the accuracy of your tracker? + or - how many miles per hour and how many feet is latitude and longitudal deviation? Is the racer that is accused of violation allowed to review their own tracker, public or private knowledge? Does low or high voltage affect the tracker? How much testing was involved before SCORE adopted iri? What is the failure rate of the tracker? Does the tracker use true north or magnetic north? Do all trackers have the same hard/software? Were you using a base station? How many Hz does the tracker use? Now this is the best question of all....IS SCORE compensated from iritrack or are all the funds for iritrack rental and use going to iritrack?

Chase 2

Reaction
How often are your trackers calibrated for speed? How do you calibrate an iritrack?With satellite GPS deviation of + or - 5 miles an hour and having a position deviation also, how do you compensate for variance? What is the accuracy of your tracker? + or - how many miles per hour and how many feet is latitude and longitudal deviation? Is the racer that is accused of violation allowed to review their own tracker, public or private knowledge? Does low or high voltage affect the tracker? How much testing was involved before SCORE adopted iri? What is the failure rate of the tracker? Does the tracker use true north or magnetic north? Do all trackers have the same hard/software? Were you using a base station? How many Hz does the tracker use? Now this is the best question of all....IS SCORE compensated from iritrack or are all the funds for iritrack rental and use going to iritrack?

Come on Dave you should know all of this GPS stuff from your time in the Military. It's mostly a simply a GPS receiving devise, a calculating device, and a recording devise all rolled into one unit. Calibrating a GPS unit is like calibrating a calculator, you don't, there is no measurement of anything that varies. The GPS unit calculates where it is based upon the amount of time it takes for a signal to get from the unit from different satellites. The satellites tell the gps unit what time it sent the signal and then the gps unit does the math. Accuracy of the GPS units is dependent how many satellites it can see at a give time, so the accuracy of any one particular position calculation will change slightly from one to the next.

High/low voltage is a good question but I'm willing to bet that it's handled much like your Lowrance GPS unit.

Magnetic or true north is meaningless to a gps unit. A gps unit can use LAT/LON or UTM, neither require knowing where north is to locate.

The sharing/publication of the data is apparently something that SCORE has worked out with IRI-track and how IRI-track shares data with competitors using the system seems to differ from sanctioning body to sanctioning body.

While the IRI-Track may be a POS and have problems everyone forced to use them is on a level playing field, they are all using the same POS.

Lucho

Reaction
Yeah, let's go after the messanger now. Let's kill the messenger!

I'm not a techno-head like you guys, but I know enough and have seen some of the results off the IRC tracking system, that I'm convinced they are the best and most accurate on the market. Can they be improved? The guys at IRC will tell you that it can and they continue to make adjustments. Wait until you see the next level of tracking that is coming soon.

Regardless, if some of you are going to start nitpicking the system instead of addressing the real problems, than you are heading in the wrong direction.

I know SCORE limits IRC as to what they can provide for public consumption, while other promoters do not. I for one, when I get our minor fine-tuning resolved with out Trac'n format of racing (coming soon to your local theaters), I will give the IRC all the latitude to basically run our scoring for our Trac'n events. They will do the scoring, track each racer, figure out the ET and apply penalties where they are warrented, instantly. As a promoter, I can't ask for anything better, especially with the attitude of some that we (promoters) tend to favor some over others.

And when Steve and I started working on this Trac'n concept there were some challenges. In 18 months many of those have been solved and I see no reason why they can't continue to make improvements.

The bottom line, let's concentrate on those who do not follow the rules. I'm also concerned as to why is taking SCORE so long to post all classes. As I understand it, it should not be that difficult. But that's another topic.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
why don't you just call and ask them that would be the easiest thing to do

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
Other than S/W updates and equipment repair due to off-roader abuse, GPS trackers can only be accurate as:
1) The persons who designs the 440 miles long course, SCORE,
2) The person(s) who drive around the 440 miles long course and mark it, SCORE
3) Use of commercial off the shelf 540c model with accuracy of +/- crap, SCORE
4) Providing the right 440 miles long course GPS file to IRC, SCORE
5) 3rd party venders pre-running the 440 mile course and selling you the file, PCI, BFG
6) Drivers who may have accidently over shoot a turn late in the night, along Pacific section looking through mixture of fog and dust, with one head light working after the 2nd rollover ;-)

The only way to insure no mistakes is to have everyone use the same equipment and files that was used to map and monitor the course.

And just in case you are wondering, I did race BAJA 500 using Lawrence 540c GPS unit and "I manage Global Differential GPS Operation Center" that provide (sells) automatic precise positioning service to international customers.
So I know my sheet.

Reaction
Yeah, let's go after the messanger now. Let's kill the messenger!

I'm not a techno-head like you guys, but I know enough and have seen some of the results off the IRC tracking system, that I'm convinced they are the best and most accurate on the market. Can they be improved? The guys at IRC will tell you that it can and they continue to make adjustments. Wait until you see the next level of tracking that is coming soon.

Regardless, if some of you are going to start nitpicking the system instead of addressing the real problems, than you are heading in the wrong direction.

I know SCORE limits IRC as to what they can provide for public consumption, while other promoters do not. I for one, when I get our minor fine-tuning resolved with out Trac'n format of racing (coming soon to your local theaters), I will give the IRC all the latitude to basically run our scoring for our Trac'n events. They will do the scoring, track each racer, figure out the ET and apply penalties where they are warrented, instantly. As a promoter, I can't ask for anything better, especially with the attitude of some that we (promoters) tend to favor some over others.

And when Steve and I started working on this Trac'n concept there were some challenges. In 18 months many of those have been solved and I see no reason why they can't continue to make improvements.

The bottom line, let's concentrate on those who do not follow the rules. I'm also concerned as to why is taking SCORE so long to post all classes. As I understand it, it should not be that difficult. But that's another topic.

All sounds good, right up until the unit fails - and not because of anything the racer did or has control over.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction

it's seems you've accidentally posted your question here on race-dezert.com.
you may want to try info@racetheworld.net for your question. i'm sure they
would welcome the chance to help with your well-intentioned query...

...you're welcome.

Nick_A

Reaction
What is the accuracy rating for the Iri-track?

I know for our John Deere's we use a starfire rtk system with sub inch accuracy, of course it costs quite a bit but deadly accurate.

Lucho

Reaction
All sounds good, right up until the unit fails - and not because of anything the racer did or has control over.

As I understand it, suppose while racing the unit shuts down, no light, no screen, nothing showing, I'm told that they have added a powersource independent of the car that will keep the tracker emitting a sat signal. They can take the black box and download the inner information even if the outer portion of the box failed or was disconnected, as it has happened before.
That's what I know.

But when you think of all the information during the race that is being gathered, I think some failures are not out of order.
I still think that it's the best thing we have had in the last 20 years and it's going to get better.