Question for the video guys

TimHayosh

Reaction
I see a lot of guys with video for sale. I have finally got my computer fast enough to do some of this myself. But of course, I have a bunch of questions for the more experienced among us...

What software do you prefer?
{Ulead Video Studio 3.0 SE came with my Firewire card, and I hate it!}

When rendering your finished product, which codec and settings do you prefer?
{I have been experimenting, and haven't found one that offers a reasonable file and decent quality.
15fps? 16 Bit?}

Will rendering to a *.rm format, allow for internet streaming, or do I need anything else?

If you don't want to answer these questions in this forum, feel free to email me...timthedriver@hotmail.com

Curtis, Brian, Tony, anyone?

Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.timthedriver.com/Coyote_Off_Road_Cars.avi>A sample</A> (It's a huge file: 47MB)

Happy motoring, Tim

toyoter91

Reaction
software: ADOBE ADOBE ADOBE.. its the best i have used so far. i found it on one of the peer to peer programs like napster.

download DIVX codec for avi files it seems to be the best. but what seems to be the best file out there right now for quality vs file size is the WMV file.

adobe can render just about any file type you want with just about every setting in the world lol. just takes to to play with them all and learn what ones do what on teh file size. i am still messing with it to find a good one. hope this helps

-Rob

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Adobe Premier. That file seems a little big for what it is...cool though. Set it for 256k and peope with fast connections will be able to view it fine.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I am using Vegas Video 3.0 for all my videos, its ok but I wish it had some more advanced features.

The WMV format is by far the best for internet viewing.

Go Big Or Go Home

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
rob,

"download DIVX codec for avi files it seems to be the best. "
yes. divx is nice. A full feature movie of 90 minutes length with divx encoding is only 600 or so mb large and the quality is slightly less then what vhs would be.

Check divx.com for more info. edonkey is the peer to peer trading tool of choice for divx flix. See edonkey2000.com for details.

For down and dirty slap together editing use what comes with your OS.
Windows XP ships with 'movied maker' and Mac OS 9 and 10 includes IMovie.

Other poular PC programs are Adobe Premier, Vegas by Sonic Foundry and the Ulead software. To simply convert video from tape to .wmv files Microsoft offers a free encoder. The best solution in my opinion is still FCP on the MAC.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I assume you are using a PC. If so then Adobe Premier or Vegas is probably a good way to go. If you ever want to try a Mac system, nothing beats Final Cut Pro. I spent over a year researching the best system I could buy before getting it and editing "dezert people". (which was done with FCP on a Titanium G4 Powerbook (laptop!)) FCP is used by many professionals now and used for many of the movie trailers you see, short films, some TV shows, etc. etc. Might be more than you want to spend unless you want to get serious. FYI, if you are a student you can get a BIG discount on FCP from Apple on their site.

As far as compressing video for the internet you are best using .WMV or Quicktime. I haven't had the time to figure out the best way to make the Quicktime files yet but I will soon. They are usually a larger file size than the .WMV's. You can check out www.apple.com/quicktime for some cool Quicktime movie trailers that are real good quality. I usually don't use FCP for compression, I usually use Cleaner 5. I don't know what is good for the PC. .AVI files are usually to big as you have already seen.

Curtis Guise
Juice Designs

TimHayosh

Reaction
Thanks for the tips guys.

Adobe Premier is what I really want, but can't afford. I did the 6.0 tutorial last week, and was shocked at how easy it was to do some rather advanced things. I'd love to find it on one of those peer-to-peer things, but I've never done that before, and am not familiar with using that sort of thing.

Has anyone ever used Uleads MediaStudio? I just got a hold of ver. 6.0. Looks like it's got a bunch of the things I like about Premier. Ripple edit seems so basic, but the stupid VS3.0 won't do it (it won't output to the camera either!).

Excellent suggestions from all. Curtis, I've got too much in my PC to even think about going to an apple. I have heard excellent things about FCP.

Happy motoring, Tim

toyoter91

Reaction
Hey tim PM me i might be able to get you adobe.
laters

-Rob

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
If anyone is interested I have Premiere 5.1 in the box, never opened but it's for a Mac. The upgrade to 6.0 is $149. I would sell 5.1 VERY cheap, maybe $50. (it's $599 new)

sorry for the post of that for sale but it has to do with the subject.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Next question...
How do you fill in the info so that when Windows Media Player (or whatever the player is) launches, it says "Show", "Copyright", "Author", "Clip" etc.

Anyone, anyone?

Happy motoring, Tim

sbro

Reaction
What program are you using for Windows media compression? In Premiere 6x, which may be similar to your prog, go to File > Export Timeline > Advanced Windows Media.....after selecting the stream type, fill in the fields with your copyright info. If you want professional quality video, Premiere is a great prosumer non-linear editor. I do all of my effects/titles in Adobe After Effects 5, and then import them into Premiere for the final product. Ulead is crap, and it's basically a Playskool "My First Video Editor". If you want absolutely professional video, check out In-Sync Speed Razor, it's a step up from Premiere/Final Cut.

<font color=orange><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.desertrides.com>http://www.desertrides.com</A></font color=orange>

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I don't know if the editing program you are using has that option. In Media Cleaner 5 there is an option for that I think, but its been awhile since I compressed anything. Look for something that says "Properties" maybe, it may have the author and other fields to fill in.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Video editing is best on a MAC! I know I work at Apple Computer.
Here's what you need.
a G4 tower running our new operating system OSX.
Then for the beginner you need iMovie for OSX.
If you are more experienced you need Final Cut Pro or Premier for OSX.
A FW camera, preferably a 3CCD camera such as the GL1 or better.
Then you need the After Effects plugins that work in Final Cut Pro for those fancy fiters, motion maps, ect.
After you are done editing, dump the finished product into Media Cleaner and the compression options are endless.
All said and done, drop your edited DV footage into DVD Studio Pro for OSX and burn yourself a DVD that will play in any standard DVD player.
Cost: A lot all said and done, but affordable for some.
If you really want a MAC PM me and we can talk about the deals that are flowing on the Employee Quarterly Promo. And no, I don't want to score deals for every single person on this board that wants a Mac.

Later

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
WMV Format sucks. Put simply. QuickTime format is much better, free and cros platform. The new Sorenson Codec is by far superior for web movies and handles color and motion extremely well when massaged in Media Cleaner. Fish DOOD, go back to QT, would love to watch all your footage, but Mindows Media player and WMV format is a joke on the MAC and their browser plugin just plain doesn't work on the MAC unlike QT.

PC guys, bring it on. :O)

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
No I am not in marketing, yes I edit much video, every post here had good information!
All bases covered? Check.

:O)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well the QT file sizes are a bit bigger arent they? I am doing the video from this last weekend right now and I will mess around with QT format and see what I can do.

Go Big Or Go Home

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
The size of the Movie file is determined by the compression scheme (codec) you choose: ie: sorenson, video, cinapak, DV, ect. Also how you adjust the setting for each Codec. Not the application being used.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
From the user end of it I think QT is a horrible player. The actual movie area is small, the file is big and the player takes a long time to load when compared to playing a .wmv file.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "