Question regarding rock crawlers.

Spiff

Reaction
I am not sure if this is the right form or not, but here it goes.

I have a really good customer who wants me to do some fab. work on his really nice rock crawler jeep. He knows and I have admitted I am not that knowledgable and do not have that much experience in rock crawlers. He still feels comfortable with me and knows I will do my best.
What he wants (and I am not familiar with the proper terms so bare with me) is a power winch mounted above each axle to compress either the front end or rear end to help in leveling the jeep when rock climbing.
I have seen this before but not up close and did not really pay attention. I have tried to look on the internet at different rock crawling web-sites, and have not seen or located any articles or pictures how this is done.
A few of the concerns I have are, what size (lbs.) and type of winch, where to and the best method for fabricating a mount on the axles, and the front axle is directly under the engine dampaner. I have seen where pulleys were used to direct the cable around the engine or what ever, but I would just like to see some close up pictures or hopefully read some articles to educate myself.
So, can any of you guys piont me in the direction of a web-site or shop in So. Cal. that does this? Any help, advise, or even pictures would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ronnie.
951-479-5595

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
If you have not done so already, try looking around and maybe posting this question on Pirate4x4.com. There should be a wealth of help on their site for this type of question. Unfortunately, I can't be much help other than that.

Haycock

Reaction
you can use anything from a atv winch to a 10klbs winch. usually a bigger one is in the front so you can use it to winch the vehicle also, and the smaller "atv" one in the rear. is the owner wanting them mounted to the axle or the chassis? you will need a lot of room around the axle if you mount to the axle. most "jeeps" will have them mounted to the chassis becouse theres not enough room on the axles. alot of the unlimited buggies are able to mount them to the axle becouse usualy the axles stick out farther than the chassis. ill try to take some pics of both types for you. you can also try looking on pirate4x4 and you will find plenty of pics.

4ward

Reaction
The smaller atv winches will tear up pretty quick. Usually you strip the planeteries out. I'd recommend going at least #2500. Also, it takes some stress off of them if you come up with a couple of rollers to wrap the rope around. Think about a snatch block.

stnkbg1

Reaction
On the rear of our competition buggies we use a 2500-3000lb atv or utility winch, generally run from the winch, to a pulley on the axle then back to the chassis. This helps with shock loading the gears in the winch, as well as acting like a snatch block to multiply power.

In the front we use the same big (8000lb+) winch we use for recovery. Depending on how far back the axle is from the winch you might be able to get away with simply running the line straight down to a clevis on the axle, or you might have to get a little more creative. On our comp buggy the winch is mounted right below the drivers knees and the line goes forward, bends across a couple of the chassis tubes, then runs inside another tube that snakes around to get right above the axle. This allows the weight of the winch to be closer to the center of the vehicle, but also makes it pretty much useless as anything other than a suspension control. On my personal buggy the winch is mounted behind the radiator, right above the axle. When I need to use it for recovery the line runs under the radiator and through a guide on the bottom of the front "bumper"

Basically you just wanna be able to pull the suspension down without having the line trash anything else. Also keep in mind that when you let it out the loose rope can get into things, so you may need to rig up some sort of bungee or something to take up the slack.