questions about carrier bearings and 4 links

truck poor

Reaction
first off the truck im workin on is a 96 ext cab f 150. the questions kinda go hand in hand. should i leave the driveline carrier bearing in place or use one long driveline? also if using the carrier bearing, does 56" seem a good ballpark measurement for the lower links? this is my first attempt at building the 4 link and have read alot from rdc, the ranger station and herb adams. Im ready to tackle them but wanted input from people that have built them and could give some pointers. thanks

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Using the carrier bearing locations gives you less driveline plunge, but it can fail if you run it to hard. If you do a fixed yoke on the transmission it saves the bearing from popping out. Email me for the cure that I dare not state in public, but works.
gfalzy@hotmail.com
The length of the arm sounds good, every time I link a full size extra cab, I shorten it 8-10” if you a standard cab short bed leave it stock.

truck poor

Reaction
Thanks Geoff and McClintock. Geoff, when you say "shorten" are you talking about moving the rear axle forward and mounting the bedsides so the front of them land on the cab like i've seen a few trucks?

truck poor

Reaction
Thanks again McClintock. When I shorten the wheelbase is it now better to use a one piece driveline and move the link mounts forward ?

1450-ranger

Reaction
Thanks again McClintock. When I shorten the wheelbase is it now better to use a one piece driveline and move the link mounts forward ?
Depends the drivetrain length. Most driveshaft guys say over 60" and you're pushing it. I used stock dimension rear driveshaft as the GIANT product was designed around the driveshaft length. We had a custom length intermediate shaft made between the trans and carrier. Truck has 1/4" total plunge. It really depends your set up.