Questions about Class 1400

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Okay, those of you who looked at my past couple threads may recognize my train of thought here. I've done a lot of research on what class I want to run, factoring in wanted driving experience, costs, and just general planning. I've settled on Class 1400, as it seems to be a class for nearly unlimited prerunners to race in.

Does anyone know where I can find the rules? Also, where do I register?

EOR1488

Reaction
Thanks! Any info on where to register, and how much the entry fees are for each race?
Registering depends on what organization you want to race or event etc. So if there is a race you want to enter you can enter on the promoters webpage.

If you build a 1400/1450 legal vehicle you can run in alot of different organizations. SNORE, MORE, BITD(1800), SCORE(unl sportsman truck), TDRA, list goes on of another handfull of smaller groups you can race with. Just refer to the rule book and you should be good.

Entry fees range from $500 to $1000

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
That's great, I had figured it would be the best class for me to run.

I have a quick question that I'm curious to know the answer of: ignore power/reliability/ruggedness and the extreme cost difference between a 1400 truck and an Unlimited Trophy Truck. How are they different otherwise?

Edit: If you meet all the guidelines, what stops you from entering the TT class in a Sportsman rig?

Kolman

Reaction

I have a quick question that I'm curious to know the answer of: ignore power/reliability/ruggedness and the extreme cost difference between a 1400 truck and an Unlimited Trophy Truck. How are they different otherwise?

Edit: If you meet all the guidelines, what stops you from entering the TT class in a Sportsman rig?
Nothing, there are a number of guys who do it now.

Reaction
what stops you from entering the TT class in a Sportsman rig?
When you have no chance of winning, it makes little sense to contribute to the pot.

You probably need those funds for gas money home.

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Do they have major sponsorships like the rigs you see on the televised Red Bull series Mint 400? I mean, I have 800hp currently within arm's reach with some Matt Happel philosophy... hmm.

Right, Ol' Curmudgeon- but if you can match performance, technically you have a chance. Also, the Desert Racing school, ay?

Reaction
You can't match performance. It's not a matter of horsepower.

Besides, running Sportsman will teach you plenty.

EOR1488

Reaction

1400 Truck should have steel cab and working doors and other then that its pretty open. Most all Trophy Trucks are all high end these days and pretty expensive to race and maintain.

In 1400 you have everything from the garage built trucks(like mine) with kit suspension and a basic motor to full A-Arm trucks with huge HP etc etc. Are there some crazy fast 1400 trucks....yup but dosent matter its 40-60 trucks at the big races all coming together to battle it out. The good trucks and good drivers usually make there way to the front. There are a couple v-6 trucks way down on power that straight compete....good prep, good shock tuning and a great driver can take you pretty far.

1400 good class you can run a fabbed Ibeam on a Dana 35 and stock spindles if you want for crazy cheap. Or get a Center-mount A-Arm with 2.5 fabbed spindles and 40" tires. Really do what you can what you can afford whatever works for you and come race and have fun.

J Prich

Reaction
Do they have major sponsorships like the rigs you see on the televised Red Bull series Mint 400? I mean, I have 800hp currently within arm's reach with some Matt Happel philosophy... hmm.

Right, Ol' Curmudgeon- but if you can match performance, technically you have a chance. Also, the Desert Racing school, ay?
I say line your 800HP firebreather up with the TT's and show them what you've got.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Look at the MORE.
Class 1 champion is a souped up 1450 truck

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Wow, there's a lot more support than I thought there would be for this!

Like J Prich said, I'd like to race a $25,000 or less rig against those $300k ones. I'm more of an automotive/mechanical engineer, but I've wanted to race the Mint 400 since I first saw it on television as a kid.

I guess the major unknown is if I'm a good enough driver to qualify. What does it take to beat the rich boys renting the trucks in qualifying? (I don't care about winning right now. Hell, I just want to race against those guys and show 'em it's possible to at least not finish last)

Dirtracer 619: Interesting, but aren't Class 1 cars buggies?

If anyone's wondering about how I'd match performance, here's proof I'm not full of hot air: A LS 6.0 from a 2002 Suburban HD is about $1,000 running. 400 HP stock, new LS1 intake/headers/camshafts/larger forged pistons gets you up to ~600 HP for about $1,500 more.

Add in twin GT45 eBay $200 turbos, and you're on par with the TT's. Matt Happel's Ford Fairmont makes 700 rear wheel HP on the dyno with a LS 5.3 and 706 headers, same twin GT45 turbos. Aftermarket racing trannies on local classifieds will run me another $500-$1250.

Slap some fancier fiberglass fenders/hood on, an eye-catching livery for the main sponsor, and no one would be able to tell you're driving a $3000 Chevy fleet truck.

Custom long travel at the private garage for front and back is about $5,000, plus another $1500 for connected cage and back halving.

Then it's onto making the thing more reliable/robust. Axle armor, skid plates, better driveshaft, the works. Then the race legality stuff.

Except for the 5 point and neck harnesses and the racing fuel tank, the rig should still be street legal as well. If the doors still work, I could run 1450 to begin with and then move up with the same truck. Although, most 1450's have ~300 HP, and I'd be making nearly 3x that.

Alright, now start poking holes in the plan. Go. Specifically Ol' Curmudgeon, he knows how to be realistic.

Kolman

Reaction

Go get em boss. Build it and don't listen to anyone! But seriously, I think there's a lot more to the tuning and suspension. Some of the 1450 trucks spend 5k a corner on shocks.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Check the rules for turbo. Not sure on that, In the MORE series which by the way is really a fun series. Class one is buggies and TT combined. And souped up 1450's. And yes. With a great driver. Jerry shows all of us the right way to go at it with style and class.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

J Prich

Reaction
Wow, there's a lot more support than I thought there would be for this!

Like J Prich said, I'd like to race a $25,000 or less rig against those $300k ones. I'm more of an automotive/mechanical engineer, but I've wanted to race the Mint 400 since I first saw it on television as a kid.

I guess the major unknown is if I'm a good enough driver to qualify. What does it take to beat the rich boys renting the trucks in qualifying? (I don't care about winning right now. Hell, I just want to race against those guys and show 'em it's possible to at least not finish last)

Dirtracer 619: Interesting, but aren't Class 1 cars buggies?

If anyone's wondering about how I'd match performance, here's proof I'm not full of hot air: A LS 6.0 from a 2002 Suburban HD is about $1,000 running. 400 HP stock, new LS1 intake/headers/camshafts/larger forged pistons gets you up to ~600 HP for about $1,500 more.

Add in twin GT45 eBay $200 turbos, and you're on par with the TT's. Matt Happel's Ford Fairmont makes 700 rear wheel HP on the dyno with a LS 5.3 and 706 headers, same twin GT45 turbos. Aftermarket racing trannies on local classifieds will run me another $500-$1250.

Slap some fancier fiberglass fenders/hood on, an eye-catching livery for the main sponsor, and no one would be able to tell you're driving a $3000 Chevy fleet truck.

Custom long travel at the private garage for front and back is about $5,000, plus another $1500 for connected cage and back halving.

Then it's onto making the thing more reliable/robust. Axle armor, skid plates, better driveshaft, the works. Then the race legality stuff.

Except for the 5 point and neck harnesses and the racing fuel tank, the rig should still be street legal as well. If the doors still work, I could run 1450 to begin with and then move up with the same truck. Although, most 1450's have ~300 HP, and I'd be making nearly 3x that.

Alright, now start poking holes in the plan. Go. Specifically Ol' Curmudgeon, he knows how to be realistic.
You're all over it. With 3x the HP of all the other 1450 trucks in the class and a boatload of sponsors lining up to support your efforts, you're 90% of the way to the top of the podium already. What's your time table for completion? Looking forward to seeing your TT beater out in the dirt!

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Curious what kind of brakes you plan to use to stop this beast?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Can you even buy half the shocks you are planning on running for $5k? Let alone the whole rear suspension. Guessing you are planning on a stock 1 ton floater, etc...?