• Forum membership has its advantages....

Questions about Powder Coating a Beadlock wheel...

Chris Tobin

The KMC Enduro Beadlocks I am running on my Silverado 2500 HD are in need of powder coating to get them looking decent again after a couple Tennessee winters.

When having a beadlock wheel powder coated do you recommend masking off the inside and outside tire mounting surfaces as well as the lug nut seat and threaded holes? Or simply coat the whole wheel then chase all the threads before installing the hardware. My thought was to mask off the beadlock ring mounting surface on the wheel then maybe even install the old bolts and powder coat with them installed the remove the tape and bolts after it comes out of the oven and cools off.

On the beadlock ring itself do you guys powder coat the entire ring or just the front side? I was thinking to mask the back side so that the rubber from the tire will seat directly on the aluminum not powder paint.

What do you guys think? Am I over thinking it, and should I just worry about masking the threads and coat everything else? I see several race teams with powder coated wheels. What are they doing?

I plan to have the wheels coated gloss black with the rings GM Luxo Blue/Blue Topaz (that's the color I will be painting the truck when it is done) and will be using polished stainless steel ARP 12-point bolts and washers. I think that will be a great looking combination and they should last a long time.

Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

standfast

You don't have to mask the sealing faces, just coat em. Definitely put throw away screws in the wheels and tell them to leave them on. This will protect the threads during media blasting. When you get them back you may have to take a deburring tool and remove the bridge where the powder flowed onto the screw.

07FJRog

Most powder coaters will put silicone plugs in threaded holes, and our powder coater doesn't coat the flang on the wheel.
Most have a serated grip area machined into them there and powder would fill it. Same with the rings as well.

Chris Tobin

Most powder coaters will put silicone plugs in threaded holes, and our powder coater doesn't coat the flang on the wheel.
Most have a serated grip area machined into them there and powder would fill it. Same with the rings as well.
That's what I was thinking to have them mask off the wheel flange and back side of the beadlock ring. To do the 6 KMC Enduro's I have would take a lot of silicone plugs and I have new ARP polished stainless 12-point hardware so I could let them use the old hardware to fill the bolt holes in the wheels...

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
My thought was if my powder coater coats the mounting surface or the Beadlock surface is to chuck on a lathe and skim cut the coating off. Also, keep the old hardware in the Beadlock ring holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I was just quoted $115 a wheel to strip and coat a wheel and bead lock ring. Is that a decent quote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk