Quick Disconnect Connections. . .which ones???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
OK. . .this isn't for a desert rig, but for one of my other toys. . .my Yamaha YZF-R1 has a short in the factory headlight connection and I want to replace it with another quick disconnect that is easier to disconnect. . .

. . .I think it's 14-16 ga. wiring and I need to connect a group of 10 wires (the main problem) and a group of 6 wires (just because I'm at it to make life easier down the road). . .

. . .what would you guys in the electrical know suggest using???

I dislike the factory connections because they are a PITA to undo (doesn't help that they are hard to get to) and I actually do take the bike apart quite a bit. . .probably why the factory connection got a short in the first place. . .

I used a shot wiring harness from another bike to get some donor wire of the same gage and color so that I could make the wires a little longer and so that I can actually pull the connections out from behind the fairings to connect/disconnect them to make life easier on me and now I'm ready to hook it all back up together because my new forks showed up in the mail and I can now get it on the road again.

Thanks!!!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
When I was in the Navy on a submarine. . .all of our electrical connectors were of that type. . .

moleculo

Reaction
Keep in mind that if you go with the weatherpacks you should use the weatherpack-specific crimper. Any other crimper will just ruin the terminals and smash the seals.

www.waytekwire.com/ has the crimpers for a good price.

f1sleepy

Reaction
Likewise with the amphenol connectors. They are nice, but they run close to $100.00 per connection (depending on # of terminals) plus you need a $300.00 crimper.

James

Zambo

Reaction
You can get weatherpak connectors from waytek wire by the boatload for very little money. A set of crimpers for them doesn't cost much either. I use them on almost all the components in our truck to make them easily removable. They are strong and watertight and easy to disconnect/reconnect. If you are trying to remove a whole dash or center console then go with those big cannon plug type that someone before posted.

BCarr

Reaction
Answer with wiring harness budget in mind...got dough? then use Deutsch. don't got much dough? then use Weatherpak.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Budget in mind. . .and based on the application I'm gonna go with the Weatherpack. . .

. . .Thanks for reminding me about the Deutsch and amphenol connectors though. . .for a buggy/truck those would be great. . .now I know what I'm gonna use on my buggy (when I finally have time to start working on it!!!). . .