Quick Shock Question

1992f150

Reaction
Im rebuilding my shocks, got them all torn apart (except valving assembly attached to the shaft) My question is, I always hear replace the seals etc..., are the seals just the O rings or what?
Oh, also im revalving these (dual front shock application) Is there a way to tell what the numerical valving is on a shock by looking at it? ie 175/70? Im pretty sure the previous owner never revalved any of the shocks, and just dropped the psi to 110 on the extra shock, which made the things leak.

Thanks.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

hoeker

Reaction
typically you need to measure the thickness and diameter of the shims. then refer to the shock manufactures chart for their referance number.

yeh, the seals on the shaft especially. also the seal on the piston wears out too. usually these last pretty long though. i replaced all mine once a year, just for good measure.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

1992f150

Reaction
are the seals the o rings or are they something else?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

martininsocal

Reaction
It depends on the shocks you have. some use a seal and a wiper and some use double o-rings. At minimum, you should replace the shaft wipers and seals and the piston wear band.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

michael_loomis

Reaction
replace everything thats not metal

hoeker

Reaction
the wiper seals on the shaft go first. orings are really,really,really cheap just replace them all. fox swore i was replacing the DU seal on the piston way more than i needed at once a year racing. those are also 7 or 8 bucks each, not too bad if you only need a few, but my truck had 16 shocks!! if they aren't that old, run it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
You can always call Fox with questions. Nick who answers the phone is super cool and I am sure would help answer questions you may have if you cannot get them where you purchased the shock and seals.