Quick Shock Question

drtdevil93

Reaction
i know, i know... you got my point though...

put air in your shocks, pull leaves out of your springs, dont gusset your cage, dont cycle your suspension.... just be lazy, dont think and then go race on it and scratch your head when things go wrong.

erik

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Hey Erik...how about nitrogen in the shocks, cycle them, gusset the cage, but pull leaves out?

Greg

Reaction
I think i may have mentioned this before, but wouldnt you want the pressure to increase as the shock heats up/ gets used? I lmow the herbsts use a system to actually stabilize nitrogen pressure, but thier shock shafts are on the large side possible leading to a jacking effect from nose pressure. But on a 7/8 shaft i dont see why a slight increase in presusre for heat expansion would be bad. Also, if you put air in your shocks, isnt there just as much moisture "outside" the shock as there is on the insde, as far as rust goes? Also, ive never seen anyone purge the ambient air from a shock before charging it with nitrogen. Im not advocating air, but if you could get 250 psi of shop air, my guess is that you would never know the difference.

ntsqd

Reaction
Oxidation is accelerated in heated or super-heated conditions. Witness a cutting torch. That is super-accelerated oxidation. So under that use shop air would be more corrosive.

Nitrogen isn't a constant pressure regardless of temp, it's just that it's T vs. P curve is not as steep as the curve for ambient air.
You wouldn't, or perhaps I should say I wouldn't want the charge pressure changing with temp any more the necessary. I don't need yet another uncontrollable variable.