Quick valving question

chatter_splatter

You need more up travel. How you get there is up for debate.

Pic of the leafs and bumps?
I added the X brace between the bumps because the rear was bottoming so hard it started rolling the frame inward. Problem solved for now, but there isn't enough up travel for the shocks to do much.

Attachments

chatter_splatter

Your springs are dead. They may also be to light for that truck.
I think it's both. I called Deaver and they said the springs I have are made to lift a stock truck 4". I have 400lbs of tires and fuel back there, plus a 70lb jack and probably another 100lbs of tube in the bed cage.

Is it worth having the springs re arched and having a leaf or two added or not? Seems like it's only a couple hundred cheaper then new springs with shipping.

Don't even know if I wanna throw any time or money into springs. Could invest it in coilovers and links and be ahead of the game. I just don't have the time to do a back half right now.

Decisions decisions!

partybarge_pilot

How old are the springs? Miles? Might just be time for a new set. It would suck to rebuild them then break a leaf a couple months later.

jon coleman

air bags!, ha ha, i went to shorter rear bumps 4-3" in the rear , made it More plush, shocks did more in conjunction w shorter, bumps, try adding some leafs, & just clean & dry lube em' & you'll be amazed, most think more leafs will be stifffer/ harsher, not necessarily..mighta posted this, 1.5" OVER arch is max, at full bump deaver guys suggested, anymore and the rate is Way ridiculous, bucking bronco& hard on leaf packs

Last edited:

chatter_splatter

How old are the springs? Miles? Might just be time for a new set. It would suck to rebuild them then break a leaf a couple months later.
I really don't know how old they are. I would guess about 5 years and probably 50k miles. No way to get ahold of the guy who built the truck.

air bags!, ha ha, i went to shorter rear bumps 4-3" in the rear , made it More plush, shocks did more in conjunction w shorter, bumps, try adding some leafs, & just clean & dry lube em' & you'll be amazed, most think more leafs will be stifffer/ harsher, not necessarily..mighta posted this, 1.5" OVER arch is max, at full bump deaver guys suggested, anymore and the rate is Way ridiculous, bucking bronco& hard on leaf packs
Haha no not air bags air shocks. Fox makes larger diameter shafts (think hydrobumps) so the shock has a spring force depending on nitrogen pressure. It was a joke but would probably be enough to get another 2-3" more ride height.

Yeah I don't think I can bandaid this one. Any shorter on the shackle and I'm gonna be way over 1.5" spring arch.

osidepunker

Ok so here are the numbers. Rear uptravel is only 6" and 4" of that travel is bump stop. Bumps are only 2" away from bump pads at ride height. Shackle is 8 long. Droop is 10" and rear axle weight is 2500lbs. Springs are Deaver F87.

How do I fix this? Are the springs sagging that badly? Am I carrying too much weight?

I noticed the anti friction pads all fell off. Would putting new ones on add some ride height?

Would shortening the shackle to 6" or even 4" put me at risk of over arching the spring and breaking it? They already go into about 2" of positive arch.

The rear of the truck just doesn't work well with so little uptravel. It kicks off of just about everything.

Any ideas?
You need more up travel. How you get there is up for debate.

Pic of the leafs and bumps?
You need more uptravel period. In my case I was too heavy for how wide the leaf packs were. Toyota uses leafs that are 2.25" wide. So deaver makes a spring under pack at 2.25" wide. But Jeff could never get the uptravel I needed even after building me 4 different packs. So I ended up going to 3" wide leaf packs and solved it for me. I have 8" uptravel (5" before I hit 3" bumps) and 9" down travel.

I'm not saying you need a new leaf pack. Talk to Valley Spring Service in Phoenix. My buddy just had his leafs rearched. Thats the correct answer to fix your problem. There no reason why you cant get those packs rebuilt and gain several inches of up travel, healthy ride height for a rear leaf setup is 50%

chatter_splatter

You need more uptravel period. In my case I was too heavy for how wide the leaf packs were. Toyota uses leafs that are 2.25" wide. So deaver makes a spring under pack at 2.25" wide. But Jeff could never get the uptravel I needed even after building me 4 different packs. So I ended up going to 3" wide leaf packs and solved it for me. I have 8" uptravel (5" before I hit 3" bumps) and 9" down travel.

I'm not saying you need a new leaf pack. Talk to Valley Spring Service in Phoenix. My buddy just had his leafs rearched. Thats the correct answer to fix your problem. There no reason why you cant get those packs rebuilt and gain several inches of up travel, healthy ride height for a rear leaf setup is 50%
I've heard those guys know what they are doing. Deaver would be spendy with shipping but if I can get them re arched for a couple hundred bucks in Phoenix it's probably worthwhile.

Thanks!