Quick Virus Question

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
I am really ignorant about computer viruses and I know a lot of you are not, so could someone please help by letting me know if we have a problem? I am receiving TONS of emails that are failure notices or 'virus alerts" like I am sending out all this email with viruses attached. However, they are all to addresses I haven't sent to, we're on a dial-up connection so the computer doesn't stay on while we're away, I use AOL mail exclusively, and these failure notices are coming in while the computer is off. We haven't experienced anything weird with the computer itself, so I don't know if someone is just generating emails with our email address or if there's something I should worry about. Any info on how this works would be appreciated! Thanks.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Sounds very similar to something I've got going on Jen and I don't know what's up either. I've got dailup and AOL and keep getting messages saying undeliverable mail due to a virus attached or something like that. All the emails seem to have attachments and are not ones i have sent, and are to addresses I have never seen before. What's up with this? Steve

slimjim

Reaction
i have the same situation. good luck trying to get a decent answer from aol. i have cox cable, but keep aol for dial-up. if you call them (their call center is in india - can barely understand anything the techs say.) they are condescending, and speak to you as if it's the first time you have used a computer. the tech said he understands what is going on, but explains it in 4th grade language. i told the tech i spoke with that i am computer proficient, so please explain in detail - then the language barrier was the excuse. he said there is a virus (so-big) in my machine. well, i have four different machines running different os incl. mac and linux, and no virus on any. when i told him that, he started changing his story, but i could hardly understand whathe was saying. my opinion: somebody hacked access to aol member names and passwords database, and is using them to send mass mailings of viruses. i changed my password, and i am still recieving the same returned emails - so if somebody does have access to the db, then aol hasn't figured out who yet, or how to stop it. i would have just assumed that somebody was manipulating the header in the email messages to spoof my email address as the sender, but this is happening to almost all aol members. thing is, most aol users are not highly computer proficient, and will just assume that the returned messages are spam, or a trick. i am forwarding all messages to "tosemail1@aol.com" supposedly the higher level techs are trying to determine the true source of the messages.

David_Girdner

Reaction
What you're describing is the effects of the SoBig worm. All the details about this mass mailing worm can be found at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.html

Most likely you are not infected however someone that has your email address in their address book has this worm. This affects you in 2 ways: you will get a bunch of emails with the worm as an attachment and you may also get a bunch of emails saying that you are sending out infected email.

On an infected computer, SoBig randomly selects email addresses found on that computer and uses these email address to send out the virus to other people. The email address of the person that is really infected IS NOT used. This is known as "Spoofing" - sending an email from one computer and but using someone else address as the return address.

While only Windows based computers can be infected by this worm, any email user is subject to be flooded with emails from this worm.

Hope this helps

Dave

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I looked into a system clearing type tool/patch (symnatech) to help get sobig out if I had it, but all the patches or fix things I found were for windows 2000 or newer. I am running windows 98 on my old school home setup and couldn't find a patch that worked for me. I don't think I have the virus but would like to be safe. Anybody got any ideas? I am now getting warnings that my virus protection just expired - time to renew that sucker! Steve

slimjim

Reaction
now that makes sense. maybe the aol tech was trying to say that? i couldn't understand him because of his accent. thank you for posting that. i always ask people not to add me to their address book. but that's why i only give out my aol address.

steve-you probably don't have the virus if you have been very careful about which attatchments you open.

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Thanks...I figured it was something like that. We get a ridiculous amount of email every day anyway and all these returned mails have made it almost impossible to put up with. I don't believe we've ever received a virus simply because we absolutely do not download attachments that we aren't expecting or that we don't know exactly what they consist of. Or maybe we've been just been lucky.

1992f150

Reaction
steve thats because the virus only can attack 2000 or xp users, not 98, so no patch is needed. Like mentioned the mails are fake, you are probably not sending them out, even if other people insist you are. If you have this virus, you might be sending out thousands of emails most likely, and your ISP (aol, earthlink, etc...) will usually suspend your account so you cant send any more mails out.