• Forum membership has its advantages....

R/C Desert Racing and Vehicles???????

MAC FAB

Just out of curiousity, who all would be interested in this type of event? What if there were races held, scaled down stuff like BITD and SCORE run, racing with various classes just like the big boys? Trophy trucks, 1 cars, 10 cars, etc. There are enough people in So Cal who have built trophy trucks, just see Youtube, that could put together a pretty large field of competitors. We're talking special built rigs, scaled versions of the 1:1, not necessarily OEM stuff. Run in (with permission, of course) Plaster City, Ocotillo, Ocotillo Wells, near Salton Sea, even out by Glamis. Perhaps travel to Arizona, Nevada, or even do a baja race in say Ensenada or Tecate. Its most feasible to do this in 1/8 scale, as most of these rigs being built are truly that scale anyway. A friend and I have 99% of the race execution figured out, just a few minor tweaks for something that levels the playing field, thus making driving skill and vehicle preservation the major factors in winning. This format would be a couple hour event to make it more realistic. Comments from the peanut gallery? It could be done for fun, like a camping trip(s) or an organized series. Input???

Chris Tobin

Hard to take it away from existing RC tracks and still be able to put on good racing since you need driver stands and good line of sight to race them...

RC Short Course did pretty well and I could see TT style trucks and unlimited style buggies being cool, but location will make a huge difference in success. Having quick and easy access to parts, rest rooms and concessions during races is something that makes it bearable for the supporting cast that helps the racers enjoy their hobby like the wives and kids...

MAC FAB

Chris, I hear ya. Driver's stands hopefully won't be an issue, rather the range of your radio. . Gotta walk before you run, so concessions would eventually come as or if it caught on.. As for parts, if you just raced V2R and broke something, did that cause you a DNF? Same thing here. Bring what you need or what you think may break. No groomed courses either, it would be rough, sand, silt, rocks and ruts. Just like the real deal. That is where the special built vehicles outshine the OEM. The buggies I've built have eaten my Slash and Losi scte for lunch on this style terrain. Get a DJI quad copter out ther and get some cool video as well. This all could just be a pipe dream, time will tell. Not to mention, this probably isn't the site to try to rally support either. Just good to have 1:1 people's opinions.

sb4pro

Would it be run while the full scale races are going on too ? It sounds like an awesome idea but won't you end up opening that whole NO DRONES can of worms ? If they don't like RCs flying above them I can just imagine the fit they'll have with one down alongside them . If it's a stand alone event it would be AWESOME . I'd love to run my Yeti TT out in the desert , I've had it on a indoor track once already and it's definitely a whole nother animal . It was more run and easier to control just bombing around on the baseball field so desert terrain would kick ass !

Last edited:

MAC FAB

sb4pro, a stand alone event. No free for all on quad copters. Maybe the string setup with a camera we have then to shoot vids. I was simply thinking a way to video the event, not everybody having a chase quad copter and such. It'll be a long haul from NY for you, with no prize money. You still game?? :^) Desert rigs on the track suck, took mine once. Didn't take the jumps for anything, wrong shock setup. However, the back corner, back stretch with whoops, hairpin turn with whoops and on the little double jump, nothing could keep up with me. Wide open. I have to finish the body on the second prototype buggy and then I'll get some teaser video of them to see if it will gather interest. I'm hoping the 1:1 guys get on board for fun. For sure an Ultra 4/4300 class, can't keep the crawler guys out of the program. Once its closer to reality, I'll get with that community of people. Amognst all this, trying to get my cars built. Where does the time go???

sb4pro

Sounds like an awesome idea but no sadly your right very long haul . My Yeti on track was pretty much the like you said big jumps sucked but was awesome on small whoops . Making long sweeping turns is really fun cause I pick the opposite front tire up in the air TT style . As for the crawler guys I could easily see a KOH style course out in the desert . Maybe do 2 classes one for Yetis and one for Twin Hammer / SCX-10 smaller scale rigs . For the TT style rigs how bout just like a real desert race send them out at timed intervals and have pits set up for battery changes , repairs , etc . Again it sounds like an awesome idea , you should promote it some of the RC forums like rccrawler , rcshortcourse , rc4wd , etc . I bet you'de get a lot of interest there too . Maybe even see if Axial or RC4WD would get involved sponsorship wise .

MAC FAB

I'm going to get a couple of builds done so there are sample vehicles for the classes available. Obviously TTs aren't a problem, those are available now. That will be the last one I build, trying to have my own rear axle that runs a bigger gearset than the Axial stuff everybody else runs. I have the buggy rear end down to a science, and most of my offerings will be using OEM plastic stuff up front. The full race rigs (big 1/8 scale power on 4s or 6s, will have my stuff up front as well, as will the TT build when it happens. It is such a blast to drive a custom built car, they would be similar to pre running a Raptor vs a trophy truck in the full scale. Being able to desert race them would be the icing on the cake. As the saying goes, "Build it and they will come". That it what I'm shooting for. Finally, if I am able to pull it off, I will definitely be hitting up the aftermarket parts people for support, there are many of them near me. As for the car mfgs, they are on their own,maybe this would inspire them come out with a product that could be run. How long have people been begging for TTs, only to a deaf ear? Once the cars are done or close to it, RCshortcourse will be the first to know, making it know to others as well. Social media at its finest!

sb4pro

Have you thought about using the rc4wd Hardcore Axle , I think they're discontinuing it but they might have a few laying around lol image.jpeg

Chris Tobin

For what it is worth I have been covering regular rock crawling and rock racing events that have had Scale RC competition at the same time. And I have also been at Diesel Truck Sled Pull events that have hosted RC Sled Pulling at the same location... So the crossover is cool, and the RC stuff works great as filler before or between the "Main Event" but when the real trucks and buggies get started the only ones still paying attention to the RCs are the RC guys...

Chris Tobin

Here's a pic from the last event that had RC sled pulling that I expect to run in the event coverage article along side the 1800 hp dyno truck and 3000 hp sled pull trucks!!!

They are fun to watch!

Attachments

MAC FAB

^^^^^^^^ Cool pic, that thing has to sound like a bee hive buzzing. I may have to see about running something at a race venue with 1:1 rigs to see if it sparks interest. We have the Offroad Expo coming up in a few weeks, I will see about getting something started there as well. Just having the cars done will be the first hurdle, then there is something for the masses to see, along with some video of them running. It will happen, just a matter of when. We also have RCX coming up in March out here, so there are opportunities to get people interested in this version of the sport. Most people are used to the track, supercross of the rc world. They just need to see we can run outdoors as well..

sb4pro

Thought you guys might like this . Watching a buddy of mine pull his Honcho , that's me in the black and orange shirt at the end

sb4pro

Have you seen this yet ? The Thunder Tiger Jackal
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Seems like we spend all this money making our own versions then the damn manufacturers come along and steal our thunder . Axial did the same thing to all us guys who made our own TTs . I made this
image.jpeg
Long before Axial made this
image.jpeg

MAC FAB

Jackall is the size of an Associated 1/10 buggy. Performance wise, I'd love to race the Tt from Axial. After all, it is a Yeti with a sc body. I see apples and oranges there.

sb4pro

Jackall is the size of an Associated 1/10 buggy. Performance wise, I'd love to race the Tt from Axial. After all, it is a Yeti with a sc body. I see apples and oranges there.
Yeah that's all my TT is really , it's a yeti with a sc8 body . Only thing I really had to change was made up some body posts screwed onto the stock cage and some rc4wd Dune T/A tires .

MAC FAB

Read on another forum the the rtr TT does about 25 mph on 3s. How fast does your Yeti conversion go? Mine are geared for low 30's mph, 2s and will run for about 15 min. Any faster than that thru the terrain I like and I run out of talent. Out of sight so its out of mind. :eek: