Race after hernia surgery

retroblazer

Does anybody have the experience of racing after hernia surgery? What's the earliest that people get back in a car?

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
when the Doc says you're good to go...

did you get the heria while racing???

retroblazer

I got it while gardening.... I meet with a general surgeon on Friday. I want to do the NORRA race in Sept.

ffjerm

I raced my 1600 3 1/2 weeks after surgery to repair an inguinal hernia (kelvar mesh inside and out). I was a bit sore, but not too bad. Doc recommended against it, but....

and no, my right nut is not bullet-proof....

I never waited for ANYTHING, probably should have but didn't. Your body will tell you. I got some internal scarring because I went back to my normal activities within 24 hours.

worcs761

I asked Doc Rio for extra mesh and was skiing in 18-24 inches of powder 2 week after surgery. The time off from work was 6 weeks so, boredom had set in at that point. Laugh if you want, I had a ice pack in my jockey shorts 24/7 until I felt better. Ice In my shorts and skiing shin deep good powder, Drop Out & Wipe Out Chutes. Mammoth Mtn. Priceless 1982.

Tipracer

I just had my Hernia surgey about a month ago and the doc said "no off road racing for at least three months" that killed any thought of racing till at least oct. and puts me in a great position for the 1000. I got lucky getting one of the most experienced hernia surgeons in California and I trust her 100%....Its a long time but the alterative of having to redo that surgery is nothing I want to try. I got the kevlar mesh as well. The surgery itself was a piece of cake but I quit taking the pain meds(hydrocodone) on the second day because of the side effects(it was like having the WORST hangover I have ever had,and I have had a few) and all I could do was lay on the couch all day. I went back to work five days after surgery on light duty and have just been taking it easy. Do it now rather than later as the more the edges tear the larger the patch, the longer it take to heal ect. ect.
If you get your surgery done right away would will be in a better shape to race as the healing process is exponential in relation to time.
I think Will Higman had one a while back as well
x2 on the ice pack, never thought ice in my shorts was a great idea until then,for me it was frozen pea's...anybody want some pea's btw?

y2kbaja

How about racing with a hernia? I think I have one and am looking forward to VtoR. Yikes. I guess if I go for the race I won't have to help change a tire :) Oh yeah, I've had one before but not this close to the nut sack. We also have a race next weekend and two weeks after VtoR. My appt is Friday to check this out for a hernia.

Tipracer

If there is a bump when you grunt you have a hernia, if it does not recede when you try and push it back in, it might be starting to become strangulated and is a much more serious problem that needs to be taken care of right away.

worcs761

Ice bag in the jockey shorts all day and night. Mine was 25 years ago and was fixed by Doc Rio right away. Never a prob. since. Brrrrrrraaaaaap!

Does anybody have the experience of racing after hernia surgery? What's the earliest that people get back in a car?
Chris, Jan just reminded me that I had my surgery around July 23, 2006 and I rode with you in your Blazer at the CODE Jacume race the first week in August. I was back on the beach playing Volleyball within a week or so. Doc said I shouldn't drive for a few weeks but I drove myself home from the Hospital; and I have to admint sex that night kinda hurt. Like I said before, I got some enternal scarring that is still uncomfortable - I should have taken it easier for a few week, but that is not the way I do things, now is it:D

Worst part was the sore throat from the intibation tube lasted for several days - oh and the itching when your pubic hair grows back.

Have fun!:eek:

How about racing with a hernia? I think I have one and am looking forward to VtoR. Yikes. I guess if I go for the race I won't have to help change a tire :) Oh yeah, I've had one before but not this close to the nut sack. We also have a race next weekend and two weeks after VtoR. My appt is Friday to check this out for a hernia.
I lived/raced for several years with mine before I decided to get it fixed. You learn to lift things a little differently to compensate.

retroblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroblazer View Post
I got it while gardening.... I meet with a general surgeon on Friday. I want to do the NORRA race in Sept.

Real men get them from loading 37s on the race truck.

Real men get their balls cut off by their wives if they don't do gardening. I fear no 37"

Tipracer

Quote:

Real men get their balls cut off by their wives if they don't do gardening. I fear no 37"
I totally feel ya on that one! I can only play in the dezert I do my chores..lol

Forty1Racing

Quote:

Bahaha rep to you my friend.

Not exactly the same situation but, a buddy of mine ruptured his appendix and pre ran parker like a month later? I guess if your comfortable risking something happening just go for it!

retroblazer

Just came back from the surgeon. After a thorough poking of the nads and coughing, pushing hard enough to crap my pants, the doc declared that I might of have some sort of near miss or "developing hernia". I don't care what they call it, but it wasn't something I care to repeat. The good news is that I won't be under the knife soon. La Paz or Bust.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Just came back from the surgeon. After a thorough poking of the nads and coughing, pushing hard enough to crap my pants, the doc declared that I might of have some sort of near miss or "developing hernia". I don't care what they call it, but it wasn't something I care to repeat. The good news is that I won't be under the knife soon. La Paz or Bust.
Old Bastard!!!!!!!!