Race boat keel

RyanWiW

This is a project that we have been working on for the past 3 months here at my shop. This thing is a canting (swinging) keel housing for a 50' racing sailboat that is going to be doing the Trans Pacific Yacht race (San Pedro, CA to Honolulu). It is all 316 stainless with the exception of the bronze bushings. We have just finished the housing and axle and are getting ready to start fabrication of the actual keel which will be made out of 5/8" T-1 plate and wrapped in carbon fiber. I thought this was a pretty interesting project and wanted to share somthing a little different with the desert racing community. More pics to come.

Attachments

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Way kewl! I've raced rag-boats too, and this looks
like a great project! (Your shop's a lot bigger than mine.)
Please do keep the updates coming.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
P.S. looks like you did a great job on that shaft.
PM me you shop info if you want. I "farm out" stuff
that's too big for me, never know.....

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Why the carbon fiber wrapping? Protection from the elements? Or just because it is awesome? :D

RyanWiW

Why the carbon fiber wrapping? Protection from the elements? Or just because it is awesome? :D
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Regular steel doesnt do to well in a salt water environment, the carbon fiber seals the steel from the elements and adds some rigidity at the same time. I forgot to mention, there will also be a layer of fiberglass over the carbon fiber. We are not doing the glass work, so im not too informative in that department.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Hit the nail on the head. Salt water will "eat" everything
except glass and plastic.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
I guess living at the beach has taught me something. :D

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
This is a project that we have been working on for the past 3 months here at my shop. This thing is a canting (swinging) keel housing for a 50' racing sailboat that is going to be doing the Trans Pacific Yacht race (San Pedro, CA to Honolulu). It is all 316 stainless with the exception of the bronze bushings. We have just finished the housing and axle and are getting ready to start fabrication of the actual keel which will be made out of 5/8" T-1 plate and wrapped in carbon fiber. I thought this was a pretty interesting project and wanted to share somthing a little different with the desert racing community. More pics to come.
You need to get with Marc Ewing AKA Riotracing he likes to spend boatloads of money on wind powered boats though i'm not shure why why anybody would want to.

Offspring

That is awesome. I am very intrigued by open ocean sailing. I am so hooked on watching the America's cup especially the way they cover it now a days with all the technology. I can't wait to watch that BMW Oracle trimaran :eek: if it makes it that far. The crew all wear helmets and I guess they are very concerned about their safety if it capsizes and they fall all that way to the water. It makes Conner's cat look like a dingy.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Any idea what the weight of the keel will be and what kind of loads the housing is expected to see?

That is awesome. I am very intrigued by open ocean sailing. I am so hooked on watching the America's cup especially the way they cover it now a days with all the technology. I can't wait to watch that BMW Oracle trimaran :eek: if it makes it that far. The crew all wear helmets and I guess they are very concerned about their safety if it capsizes and they fall all that way to the water. It makes Conner's cat look like a dingy.
I've been a fan of America's Cup since 1987 and there is no way you can compare ocean racing with America's cup. Where an America's cup yacht packs it in if the winds reach anything close to 20 knots, a Volvo racing yacht is just starting to hit it's groove. Anyone who races in the open ocean has huge brass b***s.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0o4IMQBEY&feature=related"]YouTube - Fast and Furious - VOLVO OCEAN RACE 2008/9[/ame]

Dezertpilot

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Got that right....
Hence the carbon fiber reinforced/covered in glass.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that saltwater won't eat carbon fiber,
after all has carbon in it...gonna check that out just for my own info.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
P.S. just for kicks & giggles, if you ever see a video
called "Drum," WATCH it! It's from the Whitbread Series Race
(around the world) from a few years ago. Awesome vid. Boats
goin 30 knots with NO sails up, just rigging around Cape
Horn.
Most folks don't have a clue just how much horsepower the
wind has!

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Any idea what the weight of the keel will be and what kind of loads the housing is expected to see?

I've been a fan of America's Cup since 1987 and there is no way you can compare ocean racing with America's cup. Where an America's cup yacht packs it in if the winds reach anything close to 20 knots, a Volvo racing yacht is just starting to hit it's groove. Anyone who races in the open ocean has huge brass b***s.

YouTube - Fast and Furious - VOLVO OCEAN RACE 2008/9
GREAT vid, thanks!

Dezertpilot

RyanWiW

YouTube - Fast and Furious - VOLVO OCEAN RACE 2008/9
The keel housing and axle are about 550 lbs. The keel itself is supposed to be in the neiighborhood of 700 without the lead bulb bolted up to the end of it. As for applied forces, i have no idea. The naval architect is the one who engineered and designed this thing, we have just built it off of a drawing.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Bump...

Get 'er done Ryan?
(Send me some werk, this strengthening economy has yet
to catch up this way!)