Race car DMV registration

SCastro619

Reaction
I recently purchased a 5/1600 car that was built in Mexico. The car has no documentation or VIN how do I go about registering it as a recreational vehicle with the DMV?

Thank you,

Attachments

• CEACF1B1-679F-4AD7-BB55-C5B073A14B8C.jpeg
    CEACF1B1-679F-4AD7-BB55-C5B073A14B8C.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 0

E.Hagle

Reaction
We had a nightmare of an experience getting our new prerunner over the San Ysidro border this week. We had a title but no registration, they took my brothers passport and said you’ll get it back when you go through the exit back to the USA. We figured it out an hour later, didn’t have to pay them.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
We had a nightmare of an experience getting our new prerunner over the San Ysidro border this week. We had a title but no registration, they took my brothers passport and said you’ll get it back when you go through the exit back to the USA. We figured it out an hour later, didn’t have to pay them.
Why no registration??? This has been required for YEARS now.

ErickK

Reaction
You have proper paperwork and it’s a breeze. Don’t blame the officials at the border, you didn’t follow the rules. You think iUS CBP is any easier to deal with lol?

Honda48X

Reaction
What is all this green sticker stuff? Oh that must be a California thing. Get your race car registered in whatever state you live in and bring that with you to the border. In Washington State it’s and ORV tag and a vehicle registration. Have it ready to show at the border crossing.

Offspring

Reaction
If that's a vw pan based car what happened to the vin on the tunnel? is it obscured by the cage or cut out?

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
We got a title from a wrecking yard on an older Chevy Tahoe. Then made a Vin plate and put it on the truck chassis. Went and got the title in our name and off-road registration. Now we have a sticker and a clean title on our race truck. And we were able to insure the Chevy Tahoe for $50k.

Mike

ACME

Reaction
Be careful when dealing with the CHP on inspections. We have done a few and years ago we got that one guy that wouldn't budge and it was a nightmare. On a VW the Pan/Motor and Trans all have serial numbers and per the law they cannot be removed or altered. Do your homework and make sure everything is good and be sure you have corroborating paperwork and receipts prior to going in. IMO it's best to take in a roller if vins are an issue.