Race Car GPS

MikeLeung

Reaction
It seems like I get lost during the race too much to not have a GPS. What are you guys running out there? Looks like Lowrance is the only way to go, since BFG gives waypoints. But which unit? The Globalmap 1600 likes like the best bet...but the Globalmap 100 is alot cheaper.

I'm pretty new to GPS...so I humblely ask for advice. What unit, what kind of accessories are needed and how to download the waypoints and routes.

Thanks in advance

pciscott

Reaction
Mike the 1600 was a great unit and BFG still does a download for the Baja 500 and Baja 1000, however technology is advancing fast in the GPS market. Lowrance has three new in car models that you should consider for your race car. The Globalmap 3200 is the same size as the 1600 and has a 5" diagonal screen. The Globalmap 4000 has a 7" diagonal screen that is at a higher resolution than the 3200. Both these units are gray scale screens and work great, but are best when viewed without the glare of the sun. The Globalmap 6000 has a 7" screen and is in color while the price has come down on the color it still costs over double the black and white. The main reason to go with color is because you can view the screen at high angles and use different colors to mark your course. The Lowrance units have 10 plot trails of up to 10,000 points each this is why it is far superior to the older format of the 1600 which only had two trails with 3,000 points each. PCI is doing a download for the new style GPS for all Score and BITD events and looking into doing MDR as well. All GPS's that go through PCI also get a race prep where we glue down some of the parts inside that will fail in the offroad environment. Hope this helps make your decision and if you are dead set on the 1600 I have a few customers that are trying to sell there old units to upgrade to the new style. In my opinion you will get smoked if you do not have a GPS in your car at this time. Not only does it keep you from getting lost it shows you what is coming at you and the severity of every turn. I also put in danger marks to add even more safety into your racing, this will help sell the idea of a GPS to your wife. Good luck in your next race!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

frankh

Reaction
Scott when you say the same size are you talking outside. my 1600 just fits so if it is the same I would upgrade. just so you know bfg has san felipe out, of course for people who are set up with them. How are you going to give people accsess to the files, email or on your site.

Thanks
Frank

pciscott

Reaction
The 3200 racer price $429, the 4000 racer price is $699. The 4000 comes with software and download cables, the 3200 does not. We can load the course in at PCI so you do not have to have the download cables. At this time we do not charge for the download, but this could change. I would like to at least cover the cost of gas on my prerun trips. The prices of the two units include setting the machine up for racing and a race prep where we glue down some components inside the GPS. When you start the race all you need to do is turn on the GPS and reset the trip meters and then DRIVE LIKE HELL!

God Bless America

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Scott,
What do you think about the Globalmap 3000MT ? do you sell it and for how much?
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/GM3000MT.asp>http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/GM3000MT.asp</A>

I will be needing a new GPS sometime this year when the prerunner gets close to being finished.

pciscott

Reaction
The Globalmap 3000mt was a great unit and still is supported, however it is discontinued and I have no more. The 4000 replaces it and has few new added features that make it even better. Hope this helps.

God Bless America