Race Car shipping / hauling.

yamaducci

Reaction
Has anyone shipped a race car before? Any recommendations on cross-country shippers? Looking to ship a class 12 from Havasu to Maryland. It seems every shipper has bad reviews/ reputation online.

dezert adx

Reaction
I've hauled new cars to race cars. What are you looking for? Sounds like your looking for someone with an enclosed trailer.

yamaducci

Reaction
Preferably enclosed since it's bare metal and I don't want any shocks or parts dissapearing.

BTFfabrication

Reaction
We have shipped a few customer vehicles to Washington, Oregon and Texas. Don’t know who we used but I wanna say it was roughly about $250 for the last one.

MasTacos

Reaction
I would recommend you check out www.uship.com. You can put the job out to bid then choose whichever carrier you feel most comfortable with.

I would recommend you definitely get someone with car moving experience AND an insurance bond.

yamaducci

Reaction
The plan all along has been 16' Penske truck but then I need to make ramps when I get there, buy a flight, pay for hotels and road food etc. Might as well ship it for all that. With my Excel sheet the total is $50 more to ship it from an average shipper and no loss of my vacation time or related hassles. $250 would be awesome but I am looking at $1600- $2700 and I have checked out UShip.

dezert adx

Reaction
Call a tow company for a roll back truck. Put it on the bed and back the rental truck to the roll back. Use wood blocks screwed to the floor or tires with no rims as wheel chocks. I did this to get an early bronco from Nebraska to Nevada.

dezert adx

Reaction
See pics...

Attachments

• IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 231

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
We stuck a honda civic in a u haul without ramps. We found a loading dock that was close enough to the floor height of the uhaul at both the pick up and drop off sites. Took a little scouting but we made it happen (in the middle of the night).

I have sold a few vehicles that had to be shipped. Honestly I would really try to make shipping the buyers problem. There is too much that can go wrong and After doing it three times I am done.

yamaducci

Reaction
We stuck a honda civic in a u haul without ramps. We found a loading dock that was close enough to the floor height of the uhaul at both the pick up and drop off sites. Took a little scouting but we made it happen (in the middle of the night).

I have sold a few vehicles that had to be shipped. Honestly I would really try to make shipping the buyers problem. There is too much that can go wrong and After doing it three times I am done.
I am the buyer so it is my problem.... At the same time, I am glad you are not the seller. You don't sound willing to help.

koolshades

Reaction
Uship.com is great. I've used it for years shipping all kinds of stuff (cars, motorhomes, motorcycles, generators, etc.). You just have to take the time to pick the right carrier and price.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I am the buyer so it is my problem.... At the same time, I am glad you are not the seller. You don't sound willing to help.
Ha, I promise I am a very helpful guy. I bent over backwards to get those cars shipped. But dealing with shippers was maddening. And it wasn't because I wasn't willing to pay well either.

They guys i would get (I used U-ship once) were never even close to being on time to pick up and would miss their delivery time, or actually the day, by almost a week and once just never showed up at all. (they canceled me and never told me they did)

Below is one example and its my worst one but the others were total pains in the ass also.

One example- My phone rings at 2 AM on a friday. I was in a Uber on my way home from a bar. Its a Russian guy who speaks very broken English telling me he is here for the truck. Mind you the truck was supposed to be picked up two days before this. All my calls about "where is the guy" that went to the broker went unanswered or I was told we will look into it and get back to you. They never got back to me. And my instructions were that the pick up had to be during business hours. So here I am, too much booze in me to drive and now I am expected to figure out how to get someone at my shop to go there and unlock the place in the middle of the night, move all the cars that are in the way of this one and then get it loaded. I politely told him there was nothing I could do about it until the next morning. I have no keys to the place it is parked inside and can't access the vehicle. Also, the 2AM "I am here" was some bullshizz. Thanks for being 2 days late and then never telling when you were actually gonna show up for real. Not even a 30 minute warning? He told me "You will pay them more because he had to wait". (In the end, I did not) I was not entitled to a discount either I was told.

This got worse the next day when he said I had to provide him more straps because he didn't have enough to tie the truck down. Our language barrier did not help us communicate but the whole ordeal sucked. The broker was nice but could not communicate at all. I think they are at the mercy of independent owner operators who just dont give a fudge.

Since then I either suck it up and trailer it up and deliver the vehicle myself and charge for it or make it the other guys problem.

I wish you luck with your situation. My experience has been poor to the point that I don't do it. I am sorry if you think me giving you real life experience from the sellers side makes you think I am not helpful. I am and I was every time I did this (and your supposition about me being a shiddy seller and not helpful kinda pisses me off.) But it was such a pain in the ass that I don't want to it anymore and my boss actually won't let me do it anymore anyway. Dealing with other peoples shippers was no pleasure either but I got it done. I am sure there are people with great stories and experiences. I am not one of them.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Last edited:

dezert adx

Reaction
Once again, you get what you pay $250 to get a car 2k + miles for. When I do it the owner pays all expenses, rental, flight, hotels etc. PM me if you want it done...

green787

Reaction
RDC is so fun....!!!! Isn't this thread about shipping a car???