race dates

vman

Reaction
Promoters need to work on their dates. I would love to go to laughlin and watch the score race but the 1st pro-1600 is on the same weekend in Barstow. MORE would be much better off if they moved their date to the 11th or 25th of January. maybe then they could draw more than the 1600 cars . And even in laughlin this year the bitd has a motorcycle race on the 18th of January . It would be nice if there was a governing body that helped set race dates

racing

SuperDave

Reaction
The "Governing Body" is the BLM and the problem is each state has their own. When you start looking at the politics the promoters have to face, you'd be amazed.

Rover 4

martininsocal

Reaction
You can't just blame the BLM, the promoters submit their dates and get approval for them. The only criteria, for the most part, is whether there is another race in the same area on the same date. vman is right, we need some folks to step up and work together to try and support a calander that doesn't stub a bunch of toes. To have the pro 1600 race at Barstow the same day as the SCORE opener is ridiculous. Now teams will have to decide whether they want to go after the big ring(a SCORE championship) or a 3 race points series with a great payback, but nothing in the way of promotability as far as sponsorship value is concerned. Very un-big picture folks...

If your gonna go, go BIG

shrek

Reaction
We have had this discussion many a time on different threads, and of all years this is the best one for conflicting race dates. At least as far as BITD, SCORE, and MDR are concerned, which is what I mostly race in and follow. I can only find one date between the three and that is an MDR race and BITD Vegas to RENO. So I will have to choose, and my favorite race it Vegas to Reno, sooooooo..................guess what???

That does suck, about the 1600 guys, though. I feel for them. I had to make several tough decisions between teams last year, and long overnight drives to make both of them.............

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

vman

Reaction
It would be nice if a representative from all the pro-groups and the promoters got together to set the dates. I know that score will not move the laughlin date they have been on that date for years. But more could move one week with out upsetting anyone. on the go-desert page all the snore guys were bitching about the AVI race being on the Winston cup weekend. snore just announced that they have moved the date from 3-1 to 2-15, so it looks like it can be done. And now is the time to start working on this for 2004 .

racing

shrek

Reaction
Score will move dates, but only if it is contingent of Robby Gordon showing up............such as this years Baja 1000. It was on the same date for 20 or 30 some odd years and it was moved so that the "Nascar" schedule did not conflict so Robby and the such can race. It sucks that they moved the race, especially because it was moved to a weekend that MDR had a race, but at least it was a decision that had the future of our sport in mind by getting some big name people to race it.

I have been suggesting that all the promoters get together to set the dates forever it seems, but I doubt we will ever see it. Unless it happened this year and we dont know it, but I am sure that we would have heard of something like that.

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!