• Forum membership has its advantages....

Race Gas?

Quick question for you guys, any one know of a place where i can get some 110 unleaded octane or something to that affect and any one know prices on this and finaly will it be a negative affect of running it on my truck just for the dezert i wanna pick up a 55 gallon drum for the season thanks for the answers

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
IF you have cats and an 02 sensor it will kill them. Check out CL Bryant 76

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

vwguy

unleaded will be fine leaded will kill your cat and o2 sensor

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

ntsqd

If the truck's engine isn't cammed and compressioned to use high octane you'll be wasting your money. The general rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane that the engine won't detonate on in any circumstance. If you have a stock or near stock engine, going beyond 92 won't do anything for you. Octane is not a measure of chemical energy, all gasoline type fuels have roughly the same amount of that, it is only a measure of detonation resistance. High octane does tend to have slower flame fronts, so power could actually go down because a stock engine can't extract all of the energy from a slower flame front than it was designed for. Meaning more energy goes out the tail pipe than when running on lower octane.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

ntsqd

Tell ya what, if you really want to drive people crazy with the exhaust smell, put some Castrol R in the fuel. Not much, probably have to play with the ratio a little. Guarunteed (sp ?) to drive any old English sports car people to tears.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

DPpatrol

Believer it or not using higher octane gas from the pump: 89,92 will decrease your power if you don't
need the octane. The chemical aditive MTBE which is put in CA gas, not only only reduces polution
but increases octane and is cheaper than gasoline. So, to boost octane, Shell, Chevron, and all the other pump gas companys, use add more MTBE in premium gasolines to increase octane. Sadly MTBE
does not produce as much power as gasoline does. Also MTBE leaves more engine deposits than
gas. So using premium gas if you dont need it will actually decrease your engines output and leave more engine deposits in your motor. Don't believe me, heres some proof. The denser the gasoline the more power it will produce. Compare the density of regular, plus, and premium gas with a hydrometer I
believe they're called. Regular will be the densest and premium will be the least dense. This is because
MTBE is less dense than gasoline and higher octane gas has a higher ratio of MTBE.

jason

Jimmy8

Not to go against anything anyone else has said, but if you really want to run high octane gas, but dont quite want to pay the $4.50 a gallon the 110 octane gas gets, at 76 you can get 100 octane race gas out of the pump for a little over $2.00 I believe. We have run it in our pre runner and its great.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Gas in the US contains MTBE due to the federal clean air act Europe uses it too, although CA is more stringent on controls of gasoline! MTBE is an oxygenate that provides more oxygen during combustion therefore reducing CO. In March 1999, Governor Gray Davis issued Executive Order D-5-99 ordering that the MTBE in California RFG be phased out, with none of the oxygenate in the fuel by December 31, 2002. This was because of concerns over MTBE contaminating ground water supplies. So we will not have to worry about MTBE anymore, but we will have to worry about some other crap they put in our gas.

Kris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I read somewhere that almost all gas has mtbe in it becasue it is the cheapest oxygenate to produce.

Kris