Race I beam set up

Salvador

I saw this setup of I beam from John Dalleire (A jay Racing) on the BITD TT250 Race, and wondering if any of you nows any more information of this set up: Builder, if it reacts A Arm like, any more picture from behind, etc.

FABRICATOR

That looks like an I beam that has adjustable camber. I saw a patent for a similar system that had a hydraulic cylinder attached about where that adjuster is, between the spindle support and the single control arm. It moved in and out as the suspension moved up and down in order to maintain proper camber. No less reliable, perhaps, than a good shock absorber. Interesting.

drtdevil93

it would still cycle a normal i beam camber curve. the difference is that the static camber is now adjustable.

erik

Jerry Zaiden

We have been working on something very simular for about 6 months now. It uses a 1" mono ball as the lower ball joint and a 1.250" rod end as the upper ball joint. This system will be adjustable so you when you change ride height, camber can also be changed.

Greg

Dan Huseman built an ajustible set-up for beams a few years ago that used what looks like a bearing cap to hold the upper uniball. You use shims for adjustment, its light and about 10x stronger than the on picturd. Keep in mind the beams pictured must have a pivot at thee bottom, how easy would it be to knock the caster out of wack?BTW, what do those beams weigh? They look a little on the portly side.

John Dallarie owns and drives the race truck, and Mike Normile is the fabricator. They both live up by me around San Luis Obispo, in Templeton along with Cone Industries who also lives up here by me.

Jkrell

I had a chance to look at that truck and talk with those guys at an MDR race last year. The truck is very, very clean. They told me it was built a while ago...like 8-10 years and it caught fire or something the first race out...so its been sitting until last year when they decieded to update it with new components and start racing again. Definatly one of the cleaner class 8's I have seen....with a ton of really interesing fab ideas on it. I bet they do well in BITD.

Salvador

Also in this picture you can se the Chassis base for the arm. Can someone tell me or tried to undertand why it has a ellipsed hole going vertical???

Attachments

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
are you referring to the 3 different mount holes for changing the characteristics of the rear end? They make it look like an ellipse but from what I am looking at...those are alternative mounting holes.

Salvador

Lokk at the mounting point of the Radius arms. Its looks like its vertical ellipse.

sirhk100

I'm thinking Kritter took the radius arm as the rear trailing arm, the photo is looking towards the back of the truck from the front. Is it three seperate holes and the washer is just making it look like an elipse or is it actually a slotted hole?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
you sure Khris? I think that photo is from the back of the truck looking forward...if you look in the other pics you will notice the foot step in the door is towards the front of the door...not the rear. If that is the case...that is the trailing arm, otharwise I stand corrected. If that is indeed the radius arm mount that would allow for caster adjustability.

sirhk100

Damn, now I'm all confused!!!! I was looking at whatever that was going away from the camera and it looked more like a trailing arm and the arm next to the camera looked more like a radius arm, but now that you put it that way, I think I was mistaken...

FABRICATOR

Photo ...2587 looks like a forward facing view showing 3 mounting holes, not a slot, for the front end of the rear arms.

The picture is from the BACK of the race truck. The step is the front of the truck. Also you can see the header sticking down under the cab up front as well. I think I deserve a another star by my name! lol.

mflo

yeah, i took the photos. it is from the back of the truck facing forward. I wish i had a little more time and space on my memory stick, because that truck had a lot of sweet details on it. I'll take some different angle photos next time i see it.