• Forum membership has its advantages....

Race idea

jk_red

May be a little high tech, but if they can do it for americas cup, WRC, and create a real TV/viewer excitement, why not desert racing. Have the tracker on each car show real time position, speed, acceleration, g forces, jump height, etc in real time for TV/Web coverage. The IRC score one is not really set up for this, and not really exciting like other sports. Should show the race and position of each car in real time as it changes, like dots racing on the screen. If you got really good, put a camera on the front of each car like on the Torc series and show the head to head comptition, the bumping, and the speed at which us crazy folks drive accross the desert. Vegas and Reno could bet on it. Could show it real time in the stands. Maybe you are doing this, I plan on doing the 2013 season in my 16 car, so sorry if this is old news...

AZBadseed

at the last race in Laughlin, my GF bought some Iphone app and left her phone in the truck for the race. This app creates a site where you can track several (not sure of exactly how many) vehicles on the same web address. She posted the web address and we had some of our friends tracking us both days.
Also, HDRA does a great job of getting the info from everyone's GoPro's and Replay Camera's for use in the TV shows.
I'll see if I can get some more information on the apps, and I'll post it here!

jk_red

Very cool. We looked at taking the IRC tracker data and writing our own app/web page to do something similar, but could not get them to stream it to us real time. We might try again fro 2013 to see if we can do some sort of app either with their data, or some sort of tracker. That would be awesome if you could find that app, thanks!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
May be a little high tech, but if they can do it for americas cup, WRC, and create a real TV/viewer excitement, why not desert racing. Have the tracker on each car show real time position, speed, acceleration, g forces, jump height, etc in real time for TV/Web coverage. The IRC score one is not really set up for this, and not really exciting like other sports. Should show the race and position of each car in real time as it changes, like dots racing on the screen. If you got really good, put a camera on the front of each car like on the Torc series and show the head to head comptition, the bumping, and the speed at which us crazy folks drive accross the desert. Vegas and Reno could bet on it. Could show it real time in the stands. Maybe you are doing this, I plan on doing the 2013 season in my 16 car, so sorry if this is old news...
Because Larry Ellison of America's Cup and WRC have spent millions of dollars developing this technology and until someone wants to do the same in off-road there will be no such technology.

l.e. shank

jk_red - Your ideas are certainly on the minds of some of our resident techies. JrSyko's quote below unfotunately is the reality at present.

Because Larry Ellison of America's Cup and WRC have spent millions of dollars developing this technology and until someone wants to do the same in off-road there will be no such technology.
I have observed firsthand the immense cost of providing the basic speed, acceleration and braking data we see on NASCAR qualifying; not only in equipment and personnel but logistics of dependable audio/video transfer. And that's only on a 1-1/2 to 2-mile oval!

With rapid advances in technology, the first step in off-road coverage is probably to have ground and air coverage from remote areas in real time. Believe me, HDRA is looking at new and innovative methods to give off-road racing greater exposure to the general public. We filmed some of our 2012 events for later broadcast on Fox Sports Net, and we will continue to do this in 2013.

Thanks for you comments and look forward to seeing you at our race in Jean in January

Hog Wild

I’ve been working on a device that would have the capability of proving 1 second position updates for all vehicles on course. It would allow crew, spectators, and officials to “watch” neck-and-neck action of all competitors simultaneously live on screen (computer or tablet).

Though my device would also internally record 3-axis acceleration, speed, and other data, only the position would be transmitted out (you can calculate speed based on positions). The biggest problem is transmitting the data out from remote locations that are outside cell coverage areas. In those cases, satellite links are usually need, which are too expensive if you want updates more than once every few minutes. With my concept, 1 second updates would work in limited area events like Primm, and MAYBE Parker. But for Vegas-to-Reno or Baja 1000, a satellite link is needed if you want full-course updates.

In addition to standard IRC type tracking, my developing device also includes a bunch of other optional features that I’ve never seen in any device anywhere, like collision warnings for dusty conditions, custom voice course notes, SMART pass alert, etc. Some features are controversial, so could be disabled depending on promoter desires.

Unfortunately, my recent email to Roger regarding such a device went unanswered. If the forward-thinking guy isn’t interested, then there’s no market for it and development won’t continue.