Race Jacks

hammer

Reaction
What type of jack does everybody use. Which is the best, what type of modfications have you done, what do you lift (truck or Car), how many pumps, whats the weight of the jack, etc.

I am looking into getting some new jacks. Any info is appreciated.
Thank you.

desertracer

Reaction
What type of jacks are you guys running on the 1 car's that come out of Jimco? Are they modified car jacks? We have been using a high lift that is pretty out of place but gets the job done but there has to be a better way to jack the car up. We have had problems with the "car" jacks bending when a heavy load is placed on them so the "high lift" was the answer. How would a aluminum floor type jack work on an open wheel car? Let me know what you find out please.

punkassslacker

Reaction
Website
www.myspace.com
On the race truck we have a craftsman aluminum floor jack. It's not to heavy. The only mod we did to it was take off the wheels and put an aluminum plate under it for not only keeping it a float in sand but also for mounting to the cage. I've used the Harbor freight "racing jack" too, that ones a peice of crap. I have yet to find a racing jack that I really like. I guess the I just haven't found one that is as sturdy and fluid as a normal shop floor jack.

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
A Costco store had a 2 1/2 ton Alum for $119.00. looked as good as the $199.00 Craftsman!

neverlift

Reaction
We use the Brunnhoelzl aluminum floor jack on our TT and have had good luck with it. It is a little expensive at 600.00$ but get's the job done. It maybe a little overkill and a little heavy for a ten car but it works good. We broke two craftsman aluminum jacks in the last two months so I won't recccomend those . You can find it a number of differen't places online it's the same jack the Nascar guy's use.

Ryan_P

Reaction
What aluminum jack does McKenzies sell? They run about $300 but I have never seen one in person. Anyone ever use them?

-Ryan

vwcardoc

Reaction
JGunn said:
A Costco store had a 2 1/2 ton Alum for $119.00. looked as good as the $199.00 Craftsman!
I took one of these to san felipe with me and it would not lift a ford focus to change the flat.Cheeper is deffinetly not better.

mccallumracing

Reaction
we use the cheap costco jacks and also a few craftsman jacks and seem to lift the car just fine. we to have a few highlift jacks, they will definately work, just need to make sure that your guys know how to use them

mattrick8888

Reaction
i have the craftsman jack and im looking to make or possibly buy a bolt on skid plate that will make it easily bolt to a cage. does anyone have any pictures or ideas?

hammer

Reaction
For our race car we use old bumper jacks that we find at junk yards. We clean them up pul a base on them. They work really good, as far as mounting on the car itself.

The Jacks I am looking into getting are for our class 1 car and it needs to be able to lift a TT.

As of now the jack i think i will go with is the Brunnhoelz. THe Harbour Freight has been an ok jack, The snap on jack is terribile and i think the craftsman is to slow.

RJA Racing

Reaction
RPS (Barry Beacham) sells aluminum jacks, I think they have pics on the website, not sure if they are set up to be mounted on a race vehicle only or could be used in the pits as well.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Website
www.halldesigns.com
Here's my extremely oversized plate 1/4" thick and a front handle...

I'm getting a second jack and putting on some solid tires as well,with beadlock of course!

Attachments

• !CID__arzCPapz39_.jpg
    !CID__arzCPapz39_.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 584
  • !CID__OKGI72r731_.jpg
    !CID__OKGI72r731_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 540

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Website
stuck-throttle.com
On our teams 5-1600 we've also always used an old and slightly modified bumper jack. After you learn to use it, it works really well.

What about those rad mike smith or nye frank penumatic jacks? anybody here use those?

I didn't know what a Brunnhoelz Jack was so i did a search and found a picture of their Warrior jack.

Attachments

• 525-DSC_2759.jpg
    525-DSC_2759.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 754

larry placido

Reaction
From my own NASCAR experience, the Brunnhoelz equipment is some of the best out there. It's not cheap, it is pricey...but you get what you pay for.

gwm

Reaction
Website
www.lecheroracing.com
I don't know the details but I've watched Robbie change tires on course on #31 and he pulls out a pnuematic bottle jack, plugs in the air and up it goes. Then he plugs in the pneumatic wrench and changes the tire. It's pretty sweet. Anybody have the info on that set-up.

Aflac

Reaction
The aluminum jacks seem to be the way to go. We sell the shorter stroke jacks at Mckenzies. On Jeff Quinn’s car there are jack points (what we call them) which are located on each arm. The modifications that were done were as follows: Remove all wheels, build a thick skid plate that covers the front of the jack, and replaced the screw that holes the handle in with one from McMaster Car. There was no extension needed do to the jack points that lift only the arm. However on the Wilson cars it’s different. We use the longer stroke jack (the blue one) with an extension. This is because we jack under the Trans-axle and the front of the car. The modifications are as follows: Remove front wheels or all wheels, build aluminum skid plate that covers the nose of the jack with a hole cut out that acts as a handle, an extension with a bong for a bottle jack weld on the end, the top of the bottle jack that screws into the bong (allows for a little adjustment). I think that the best way to go is with the short jack (cheaper by $50) with jack points on the car. The car is more stable on the jack this way. If you purchase a jack from Harbor Freight buy the warranty. One warranty works on all your jacks of the same type. If it breaks take it back and get a new for three years. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
Here is a simple design for a shop and pit jack. I used a Harbour Freight jack and then made a platform which the jack can be removed from in 30 seconds. The wheels are solid and mounted to Grade 8, "all thread" sleeved through .120 DOM and fastened to a welded, aluminum frame. The jack is not modified in any way.

241033344-L.jpg

http://pjcnlv.smugmug.com/gallery/4130726#241033186

On the car we use a King Jack.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
From my own NASCAR experience, the Brunnhoelz equipment is some of the best out there. It's not cheap, it is pricey...but you get what you pay for.

i heard great things about these, so i spent the $600(didnt want to), handle broke in half the first time we used it at the tt 250 (in race conditions), very poor performance since then, sometimes it works, sometimes not, late in the 1000 this year it would not lift the truck so we had to put the lugs back on and drive it to the next pit area on the flat and have someone else change our tire................we had bad luck with ALL the cheap aluminum jacks also so as of now i know of NO aluminum jack that will work on a TT..................