Race prep shop in Vegas or Barstow area?

JP_JCM

Reaction
It was entirely the Holley Hydramat. it was the wrong size outlet with only 3/8” which is too small for suction side with our fuel flow. And the mat was totally clogged. Pretty sure this has been our problem for a year and a half. The pumps would starve and fail. Went thru 5 sets of pumps and a ton of changes to the fuel system fighting it.

Mike
You have to go HUGE With hydromats to keep from fuel flow issues.

MTPyle

Reaction
Actually found out that a new hydramat that’s not clogged can be very small. A 4x4” mat can flow 700hp. The issue is when they get clogged and more importantly the outlet size. It’s all in the details. Haha

but yes you are right. We got the Huge one that’s 30”x18” that has 3 -10 outlets.

Mike

JP_JCM

Reaction
Actually found out that a new hydramat that’s not clogged can be very small. A 4x4” mat can flow 700hp. The issue is when they get clogged and more importantly the outlet size. It’s all in the details. Haha

but yes you are right. We got the Huge one that’s 30”x18” that has 3 -10 outlets.

Mike
If you Data log fuel pressure. We found hydramats to drop fuel pressure under hard, high load 0-100% throttle application.

Volkspower Racing

Reaction
Website
facebook.com
Have hydra mats in all the trucks we prep, never had an issue, but our fuel cells are taken apart and cleaned every race, always flush out the hydra mats really good, they are basically a fuel filter.
Glad you found a good prep company, 90% of the race is won before you even take the green flag

51rcr

Reaction
Alcohol and fuel systems are the devil. haha. i think you would be better to give up the power for the fuel mileage and huge variants of risk of problems with alcohol. For your sake iam glad we cant run Methonal. haha

MTPyle

Reaction
I think we are good with E85. Everything we have is rated for it. That was not the cause of our issues. The hydramat that we had was a -6 outlet. You need at least -8 on the suction side. -6 is fine for the pressure side for up to 1000hp.

and the mat was way dirty. We have had those mats in for a year and a half. And we have ran a lot of fuel thru them in a old fuel cell. Our foam was really old also which didn’t help.

we replaced all cell foam and new hydramat that’s the right one. I really feel confident this will solve our problem. we went back to the AEM pumps that we know are good. They held up the best and even when they failed they kept moving the most. They are a little over sized at 450lph but that’s OK. We really only need 300lph so we may go back to the custom DW brushless after we make sure the hydramat solved the problem.

but we also need to see what Nathan our new prep guy thinks. I will let him drive the long term solution.

excited for next week’s Legacy race.

Mike

Total Loss

Reaction
You are welcome into my pit any day Mike.
Hopefully see you come through next week. Be cheering you guys on.
Good luck...top 10 OA?
On second thought...may not see you if you are running good-top 10-chasing for a T9 car.
Anyway...best of luck to you...nice to see you doing multiple series...cheered you on spectating at Zoo Rd also.

Viola1685

Reaction
We were having issues in the class 10 with fuel pick up after the tank was under 19 gallons. Once we changed everything in America we pulled the cell and changed the foam and added the hydro mats 2 of them since my car had 2 pick ups and never had the issue again