Race Prep?

peezy

RDC Crypto
when people say they Race Prep a truck or what not, what does that mean? What do they have to do to the truck to make it Race Prep?

TK424

RDC Crypto
It means that they are getting the truck ready for the race. Doing little tweaks here and there, tightening everything, and basically just getting it ready for war

matt_helton

Racer
RDC Crypto
Website
Visit site
you take the car apart and you put it back together every race. basically assuring you have a brand new car every time you roll up to the start line. there is no better feeling than knowing you can trust 100% of your car when you're bringin it.

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
RDC Crypto
do the budget guys split the prep between races?

do some stuff one race, and others the next...

Sparky

RDC Crypto
do the budget guys split the prep between races?

do some stuff one race, and others the next...

Depends on the budget, how far you went in the last race, and the length of the next race. Everything still comes apart and gets inspected and certain things do get replaced every race.

F.A.S.T.clothing

RDC Crypto
whats the biggest things done. checking every bolt,heim, and bushing and replacing all fluids. Is that the most common things done, I know a lot pull the third member out every race.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
RDC Crypto
For the every race prep....Nut and bolt, fluids, check ALL bearings, smell transmission fluid and inspect murder oil... check for cracks every where. air cleaner check wiring. theres more but i need to think.... then of course theres what happens every other race and so on...

NicksTrix

RDC Crypto
Website
www.NicksTrix.com
shocks get rebuilt, trans, steering get rebuilt, serviced... axles and critical parts get magnafluxed, bodies get repainted, bearings/cv's repacked...everything gets cleaned and inspected.
what ever it takes to make it near new to start the race..it's a lengthly process.

Giant Geoff

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
The more motor you have the more maintenance you need to do.
If you’re under 4500lb and low horse power the less prep. needed.

I was going out 2-3 times a month solid with a linked Ranger with 2 shocks per wheel and have my prep down to almost nothing.

Here is what I got my prep. down to;
Change shock oil once every 4 years
Rebuild transmission once every 3 years
Change upper link hiems once a year
Change air filter once a year
Never change a bolt or even look at one
Paint back of cage once every 4 years
New ring & pinion gear every 5 years

No joke!

If it don’t need it when don’t do it.

If it needs a lot then you’ll know it.

philofab

Powered by Optima
RDC Crypto
The more motor you have the more maintenance you need to do.
If you’re under 4500lb and low horse power the less prep. needed.

I was going out 2-3 times a month solid with a linked Ranger with 2 shocks per wheel and have my prep down to almost nothing.

Here is what I got my prep. down to;
Change shock oil once every 4 years
Rebuild transmission once every 3 years
Change upper link hiems once a year
Change air filter once a year
Never change a bolt or even look at one
Paint back of cage once every 4 years
New ring & pinion gear every 5 years

No joke!

If it don’t need it when don’t do it.

If it needs a lot then you’ll know it.

He forgot that he checks fluid levels 1 hour before race and replaces the radiator hose at 200K. Lol. I've never seen such a reliable truck.

Anderson Bros Racing

RDC Crypto
I have been racing my ranger for a couple years now and have the prep down to a science. Replace heims when they become maracas (play between the ball and shell) shake heim if it makes noise replace it. Rebuild ford 9" every 1000 miles check after every race (replace oil, check axles), change ball joints every race, rebuild stupid C4 every 500 miles or so (gay), Drive line once a year or as broken which ever happens first, change upper link bolts every race grade 8 (snapped a grade 9 once never broke a grade 8?) well you get the point. All ways check all pivot bolts and play in the wheels (jack up wheel shake for play) well you get the point Budget friendly

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
As a side question... When someone says "That Truck/Buggy looks like a nightmare to prep", what specifically is meant by that statement? I can understand the basics, such as: difficulty in getting to components or having to remove one part to get to another; those seem more common sense but was wondering if there is more to it... or better yet, what makes a Truck/Buggy "prep friendly"?

5racer

RDC Crypto
if it takes more than two tubes of bellray "its a nightmare",if it takes a half a day to remove the alum panels "its a nightmare" if the dash looks like the cockpit of a airbus "its a nightmare" if its powder coated "its a nightmare",
feel free to add to this.

J_Tondro

RDC Crypto
Website
www.penhallfab.com
A girl I know asked me that question once... Whats race-prep? I answered... Take your car completly apart. Take all the sheetmetal off, the fenders, hood, doors everything... take the interior panels off, wiring out, seats, dashboard out then take the engine, the transmission, the suspension, brakes.... every nut and bolt on it.... completely apart. Imagine it all over your driveway in pieces... then rebuild all of it better than the factory did... Put it back together better than the factory did and go faster than every car like it. Thats what race prep is. If your going down to bare chassis at least. Some guys half grass it but they ususally never win. Most races are lost to over-looking a flawed part or trying something new without good testing. I like to look at every singe part. Thats how you win. Yeah.. some cars are less work than others. I guess it all depends on how bad you want to win. I like winning! The way I think about race prep is that for every nut, bolt and part you put on a car there is a defining moment... thats when you walk away from that part and say, "Thats good." Is it? Because if you want to win it better be! I believe that winning races is 45% Prep, 45% Driver and 10% luck. You can have a great driver but if the race car is not well prepared chances of winning are low. On the other hand if your driver sucks and you have a good car at least you know he can finish the race. Sometimes just finishing is good enough to beat half the field. As for luck, everyone has a bit of luck.. good or bad.

CADTech

RDC Crypto
Website
www.cadtechindustries.com
Mine seems to be cut the rear of the car off, or rebuild the front suspension, or build a new rearend housing, then change the oil and run it! My wife loves it. Finished every race mile i have started though!

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto