race radio (again)

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I know it has been disscused whole lot of times but i cant find any information. anyone have the ham radio outlets address or phone number? i just bought a kenwood 261a and need to get an antenna ASAP and will be down in SD tomarrow and want to stop by and get an antenna. also i remeber seeing a link to a web site on which wire to cut but i cant find it when i do a search. can someone help?

thanks alot,
Gregg

p.s. sorry for stiring up a race radio pot again

Tim

Reaction
in the diagram that comes with it, its w-3 I believe. Do a search on google for ham radio modifications and a bunch of sites with pictures and stuff will come up. Tim

mgobaja

Reaction
Ham Radio Outlet in San Diegos phone number is 858-560-4900

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
pat,

is that the green wire closest to the gold box or the one on the fornt side?
nevermind i looked at the mod.dk website again and it says its the wire closest tot he gold box
Gregg

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 00s10prerunner on 03/15/03 04:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
well i installed the radio in my truck today and also cut the green wire to modify it. i was going to put the antenna on and be all set up but i was wondering a few things about how to attach the adapter thing to the antenna wire. i folded the mesh over the adapter and the center wire thing is coverd in plastic so i was gonna cut that and just bend the wire on to the adapter. is that good enough or should i solder the wire to the adapter in the little hole that is on the adapter.

thanks
Gregg

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
I'm not sure what kind of connector you have, but if it is designed to be soldered the radio will not work reliably. If the connector is a crimp stile any attempt to solder it will ruin it. If you can post a picture I can tell you. (I worked as a communicatons electronics tech for 10+ years.)

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
The pic is a little fuzzy but it looks like a solder on connector. The center conductor should be tinned then inserted into the center tube and soldered. There should be a nut and an outer ring slide the nut on the cable then slide the outer ring over the shielding tack the shielding to the outer ring. Then assemble the connector. If the center pin is not removable do the first 2 steps after the second 2. If you have any questions you can email them to me @ stephenfh@cox.net.

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.