race radio won't power up

zukIzzy

Hey all

I have a Kenwood radio model 271 I think that quit working a while ago and I can't get it to power back up no matter what I do.

Fuses were good when I removed it from the rig and the replacment powered up and is working fine.

I have tried everything I can think of even taking the thing apart to see if there is any signs of a short or melting/burned anything. no dice

Any body know a good radio shop that can work on a kennwood?

wayne

joe1369

Hey all

I have a Kenwood radio model 271 I think that quit working a while ago and I can't get it to power back up no matter what I do.

Fuses were good when I removed it from the rig and the replacment powered up and is working fine.

I have tried everything I can think of even taking the thing apart to see if there is any signs of a short or melting/burned anything. no dice

Any body know a good radio shop that can work on a kennwood?

wayne
PCI in Signal Hill, Ca.

I have also been told that Kenwood will refurbish some models for surprisingly little money.

I believe the service center in Bremerton, WA, has a better rep than the one in SoCal. The old Ham that recommended Kenwood is unavailable at this time so I don't know where he had his "refurbished." Google or Bing "Kenwood Transceiver Factory Service," maybe?

TreyP

"F" you Bill
I forgot this radio is a converted Ham. You can try HRO and see if they will do it.

zukIzzy

I forgot this radio is a converted Ham. You can try HRO and see if they will do it.
So a converted HAM is different then a Race radio? the guy I bought this from said he removed a resistor to get all the race channels is that the converted part and why PCI won't touch it?

thanks for the help

TreyP

"F" you Bill
So a converted HAM is different then a Race radio? the guy I bought this from said he removed a resistor to get all the race channels is that the converted part and why PCI won't touch it?

thanks for the help
Yep that is the reason. It also voided any warranty. You will have problems with any Ham person touching the radio as it is illegal. It is the price you pay for buying a cheaper radio.

As I said you can try to shop around and see if someone will work on it. Wouldn't send it to Kenwood as they are licened and have to obey the rules.

Trey is correct. Sorry about your luck. But you do have a trick doorstop.